Heeling

Obedience (non-protection) discussion. We have broken the two apart.
roxanne
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi.....my name is Angela. I have 2 daughters and 1 granddaughter. All of my dogs (and cats) are rescues. I have a puppy that we just adopted that I think could be at least part Dutch Shepherd. We also have a 2 year old pug/min pin mix and an 11 year old border collie and possible lab mix.

Heeling

Post by roxanne »

Roxie has been doing great with obedience considering the time we've not been able to work like we should. I'm really not too worried about "stay" right now. She's only 5 months old....the attention span can only be so long! It will come. In my class they have been working "heel" without working "watch me" first. If I'm remembering my classes correctly from 13 years ago they taught "watch me" first. Guess what I'm wondering is if it could possibly help her to learn "watch me" and use it to help during heeling exercises. I've been told to let her kind of nibble on a treat but she realizes quickly that she's not going to actually get to eat it. She can pull like a freight train, so it's imparitive that she learns while she's still little! It either that or change her name to Chessie or CSX!
Angela
UCD URO1 El Tango De Roxanne CD CGC
(Dutch shepherd mix)
Emmy (pug/min pin mix)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Heeling

Post by leih merigian »

Probably the easiest thing to do is mark/reward the second she looks up at you when you're working on this (which I assume is very short sessions at this age).
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...