Walks aren't just for walking....

Obedience (non-protection) discussion. We have broken the two apart.
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Walks aren't just for walking....

Post by Stacy_R »

they are for reinforcing training, too!

Tyson and I drilled some obedience concepts (sit-stay, recall) as well as relative space.
1. I put him in a sit and then lined the food out (obedience concept - sit-stay).
2. I did NOT have to tell him to "leave it"....this is where relative space and thinking comes in...notice the avoidance of the food before called.
3. Then I called him to me (obedience concept - recall, with the distraction of food). Notice the wide berth he takes around the food when called to come (relative space concept).
4. Then a sit (yeah...when he gets tired he lays down sometimes first...punk), a release, and a recall.

We are gearing up for a Lure Coursing Abilities Test...Wish us luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WbLEzGaMPg

:DSlove:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Walks aren't just for walking....

Post by centrop67 »

That's awesome. :wtg:

I know what kind of patience that must have taken on your part to train. Well, at least I can understand what kind of patience it would take for me to get Radar to do that. :pint:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

GOOD BOY! Good work and a lot of it between both of you!!!

Thor avoids any type of contact without command when food is involved--whether it's between us on purpose, or something drops on the floor by mistake, or I've left food on the counter/coffee table.

When it's on purpose and I release him, he THROWS his ass around in a heel-sit just as he reaches me. Usually he keeps his eyes on me from start to finish, but sometimes, and this makes me giggle, as he's passing the food, he throws it a quick glimpse. If I were to blink, I'd miss it, for sure.

Ty's only going to get better with all the work you put into him. :DSlove:

I wish more dog owners knew how valuable walks can really be. (Can't get it through the husband's head. He says I turn walks in the fields into a workshop. So I stopped going....)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Thanks guys!
Tyson actually loves working while walking rather than just walking unless we are at the greenway...then it's all about squirrel watching...LOL. But even then we work at least a little or he gets bored. Physical is good, but physical + mental is the perfect formula for him. He is a dog who truly loves to work...and needs to work.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Physical exercise combined with mental stimulation...perfect combination, especially after mutual respect and a level of OB has been achieved.

Thor can be :eek: about retrieving or heel work but gets flat-out :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: when I add sideline commands...like touch this or push that,or switch up heel work, etc. Sideline activities don't always have to be OB...just as long as it adds something. :D :D :D
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Raven wrote: Sideline activities don't always have to be OB...just as long as it adds something. :D :D :D
Absolutely. I agree 105%. Keep their brains working or it just becomes routine.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Dutch DD837
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi, I am retired, served in the USNavy, am married and we have an 8 month old DS and an 8 year old Chihuahua..They get along great. I read a lot of useful information in some posts about training. I always wanted a German shepherd and I wanted to name him Dutch then I met a DS that was a retired bomb dog and I fell in love with the breed. Thought the name was "original".

Post by Dutch DD837 »

:shock: Hi, our DS is 9 months and we are working on obediance but are having a really hard time making him sit, stay, heel or down when he starts running. Our gate was down and he started running around the yard and would not stop, I was so afraid he would run out. Any suggestions? And also can anyone suggest some games to start with to get his mind engaged? We are new to this and found what you said to be true. They are a lot of work but are well worth the effort. Its just that I am beginning to feel like our training just started going backwards. We've paid a trainer but I don't feel he is doing any better. We are open for suggestions from other DS owners.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dutch DD837 wrote::shock: Hi, our DS is 9 months and we are working on obediance but are having a really hard time making him sit, stay, heel or down when he starts running. Our gate was down and he started running around the yard and would not stop, I was so afraid he would run out. Any suggestions? And also can anyone suggest some games to start with to get his mind engaged? We are new to this and found what you said to be true. They are a lot of work but are well worth the effort. Its just that I am beginning to feel like our training just started going backwards. We've paid a trainer but I don't feel he is doing any better. We are open for suggestions from other DS owners.

Until his basic ob is solid he should be on a leash at all times. It can be a long line too so he has room to go but you are in control of him so when he does not listen you can get to him.

YOu can do some sit/stay and do it many many times a few times a day. break it up. they will learn quick and if you are in control and are consistent you will see the changes.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

EVERYTHING IN THIS THREAD IS GOLD!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Facebook like button...ACTIVATE!
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Facebook like button...ACTIVATE!
Michael