Therapy dog, allergies question

Obedience (non-protection) discussion. We have broken the two apart.
Kmcshane81
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Getting a Dutch Shepard as a therapy dog!

Therapy dog, allergies question

Post by Kmcshane81 »

Hello! I am considering getting a DS trained as a therapy dog for my therapy practice (mental health counseling). My question is regarding allergies. I would imagine whether you are visiting places or have a therapy dog in your work space you encounter individuals with dog allergies. Has this been an issue with DS? The trainer (who is highly regarded) says he doesn't have issues with this breed and has placed them as service dogs with allergic kids. Thanks for any input!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Therapy dog, allergies question

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I did therapy work with Thalie for a long time and never had problems. Went into schools, age homes. Not a problem. that dosnt mean you wont though. It depends on what the allergies are that the people have, not all allergies include dogs. Its usually to cats.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Therapy dog, allergies question

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Depends mostly on the allergies of the practice/patients. People are allergic to dog dander/hair, and DS shed A LOT. They also are in tune to people's emotions which can make them protective and reactive. I would suggest the route of a Poodle or other non-shed breed if you're worried about patient allergies, or be committed to a lot of deep cleaning and brushing the dog multiple times every day.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)