Madix in Flyball

FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Madix in Flyball

Post by FG167 »

I brought Madix to flyball training for 4-5 lessons before we started agility and had to drop (they were on the same night). That was a year ago. We've had three trainings now and he is rockin' out!! :wtg: We are both having so much fun! He has the whole sequence down pat already :shock: and the only thing we really need to clean up is the box - he's got the swimmer's turn when we have a person there to force the go around but he hasn't "gotten it" yet on his own. We're really close though. Tonight we set a real person with a life-sized fake Lab on the track to get him used to going around another "team" - did not even phase him. I had to buy some hock boots b/c he burned right into bleeding last week and they worked wonderfully. I really just could not be happier with this dog!!!!

Here is a video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHk1sxN2Ok
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Re: Madix in Flyball

Post by FG167 »

Oh! I also wanted to add that Madix had to not only meet and be ok with all the people on the team. But also be fine with being man-handled by most if not all of them. We practiced with a used harness last week so there was a lot of tugging and adjusting to get it right. Then this week I brought a new one, same story. Plus hock boots which took some practice to get on. Last week he burned himself and was bleeding so he had to stand still while someone else smeared goo on it and wrapped it up. His very first practice, someone else ran him so I could show him the box and she accidentally hit his "boy parts", he grumbled but did not even glance back - it was kind of a, "hey! watch what you're doing back there!" lol. I am SO PROUD of him. He's also been extremely accepting of all the people in our Schutzhund training group. I heeled him through a tight group - so tight that we were each brushing people on either side and he was pet by the two biggest guys there and never a problem. Apparently I just need to trust him a little more and watch when I tighten the leash (THAT seems to be the root of my original problem). Again, SO happy with this dog!!
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Very cool video and his behavior at training is just stellar!

I may have to try flyball with Geyser down the line...I think she'd really like it (don't know if we have any around here, will have to look into it).

Keep up the great work!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

I enjoyed your video. That is what I practice with our Laekenois, he like's it a lot as well. :D
FG167
Green Dog

Post by FG167 »

This is the first dog I've tried in the sport and we're having an absolute blast. I just bought Lacrosse gloves for it (I am not careful with my hands when I tug and he sometimes knicks me - they're padded on top and mesh on the palm so I don't sweat). We both really love it - although to be honest I love any sport that my dogs have fun and excel at :D