Cost to train in Schutzhund

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
biffbites
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I own a 10 month old male pup from Vrijheid out of Utah.

Cost to train in Schutzhund

Post by biffbites »

Hello, I am new to the working dog world and have a 10 month old dutchie from the Vrijheid kennel.
Silly question: if we train 3 days a week about how much should those sessions cost me a month? What is reasonable? I have been researching trainers and found that their prices vary greatly.
I also have been a competitive horse back rider for long enough to know that, in the horse world at least, the most expensive trainer isn't necessarily the best (some trainers think their god's greatest gift to you and your horse) and in contrast budget training is definitely not the right way to go. I'm assuming I should have a similar experience with training my pup?
Even a broad range would help. Thanks.
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Cost to train in Schutzhund

Post by icvanstra »

The two clubs that are around here charge an annual fee. I think they are 800 and 500 per year. Plus they expect you to pitch in/help/etc...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Most people I know join a club, like Eric said. You usually go through an initiation period to make sure you are serious, etc. and then it's a set club fee per year. The club trains as a group usually 2 days a week. My local club will allow non-members to train for $15 a session.
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome and great question!

It probably depend how serious you want to get, i.e. titles, competition.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

icvanstra wrote:The two clubs that are around here charge an annual fee. I think they are 800 and 500 per year. Plus they expect you to pitch in/help/etc...
:eek:

Does that include the membership fee to a working dog club like DVG (to get the score book) ?
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

The local club here has an annual membership fee, plus $50 per session (which gets expensive if you train both weekend days with the club). Not sure about other trainers.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Same over here.. we have a few clubs and they all charge between 500-1000 for the year. Most train 2 or 3 days per week and it's up to you how many sessions you want to come to, however the more serious clubs will not welcome you if you plan to slack off and not show up. You would be expected to help run the club in some fashion, volunteer during trials, help keep the field clean, etc Some clubs have access to buildings so the training can continue indoors in bad weather.

If you're serious enough about trying schutzhund, I think that's the way to go. It's possible that where you live there might be people offering one on one lessons and it's legit, but over here all the good trainers simply train as part of a club, if you need extra help I don't think any one charges for that. There are some trainers who are a step above pet trainers and offer schutzhund lessons more as a novelty. I think that would get incredibly expensive very fast if you were serious about doing the sport.

If you take a club that charges $500 for the year and trains 3x per week, not accounting for any cancelled days for what ever reason, if you can make it to all sessions you're paying about $3 per training day. This often means half a day or a full day of training with every one taking turns working their dogs. Depending on how the club is set up, you might have every one helping each other, a few more experienced people helping others, or a single head trainer pretty much running the show of who does what.
Choochi
biffbites
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I own a 10 month old male pup from Vrijheid out of Utah.

Post by biffbites »

Thank you all for your responses, they were very helpful. I would not have any issues with helping out/ volunteering, showing up for training and $500 to $1000 a year is pennies on the dollar compared to the individual lessons I was looking into. I will check out the clubs in my area!
Jason Davis
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I compete in FR and own a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sniper

Post by Jason Davis »

I charge $50 a session and require my clients to purchase 6 lessons at a time.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

:shock: I'll never complain about my club again :dsshock:
Jason Davis
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I compete in FR and own a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sniper

Post by Jason Davis »

Marjolein wrote::shock: I'll never complain about my club again :dsshock:

If you have found a club that is operating smoothly and drama free, appreciate them with all you have lol. I was never able to have a club like that, so now there is no club, just clients. It works great for all of us.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I believe I pay that a year :oops: But hey, not all is great. Looking for a better club for tracking at the moment, but really, much more than 10,- euro's a month is impossible overhere. most clubs charge per year and you have to do some bar-shifts and help out cleaning/painting etc. twice a year :) Along with that you must be a member in a breeding-club.
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Marjolein wrote:I believe I pay that a year :oops: But hey, not all is great. Looking for a better club for tracking at the moment, but really, much more than 10,- euro's a month is impossible overhere. most clubs charge per year and you have to do some bar-shifts and help out cleaning/painting etc. twice a year :) Along with that you must be a member in a breeding-club.
So not much has changed. I think I payed something between 60-100 DM annually to the DVG club and another 60-100 DM to the SV (Schaeferhundverein). We had to help when something needed to be fixed. paineted, whatever. They were selling beverages in the club house. That might have brought in some revenue. We never had to pay per session or the decoy.

I was shocked how expensive it is here in the US. I can't afford those prices and that's why I haven't done any SCH with Marco. We train obedience and tracking according to SCH, no real bite work yet. I might invest in my own sleeve (according to Balabanov you can do bite work yourself, we will see......) I want to be ready when I can afford to travel and join a club.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Schlussdibusti wrote:I might invest in my own sleeve (according to Balabanov you can do bite work yourself, we will see......)
I used to do bite work alone in my backyard with my first dog. I would put him at one end in a sit stay and I'd go to the other end with the sleeve. He enjoyed it. He definitely had bite work training before I bought him.
Jason Davis
Puppy

Post by Jason Davis »

Well my clients get to show up when they want and leave when they want. I also don't require them to lift a finger with the exception of working their dogs, while at training. I pay for all the maintainence of my field and equipment. They don't mind paying as all of my clients want to compete and go as far as their dogs are capable of going, and they know I'll get them there. There are 2 other FR clubs in our state so they have the option to train with other people if they'd like, but they are happy where they are at. They also understand that dog training is my full time position and I don't have a job that pays for my medical. If I get hurt, then I pay for it myself. That's why I don't do anything for free anymore. I'm thinking about even starting to charge my fiancé ;-)
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

nobody overhere can quit their day job doing schutzdienst... No way. And it is good, it schould be accesable to anyone who likes to train/challenge a dog ;)
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Jason Davis wrote: That's why I don't do anything for free anymore. I'm thinking about even starting to charge my fiancé ;-)
Just some advise from an old married woman (well married 22 yrs so far) DON't do it. Paybacks are hell. :whistle: :lol:
Lauren from Western NC
Jason Davis
Puppy

Post by Jason Davis »

Lauren wrote:
Jason Davis wrote: That's why I don't do anything for free anymore. I'm thinking about even starting to charge my fiancé ;-)
Just some advise from an old married woman (well married 22 yrs so far) DON't do it. Paybacks are hell. :whistle: :lol:
Hahaha. She appreciates your advice and I'm guessing I will too;-)
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Marjolein wrote:nobody overhere can quit their day job doing schutzdienst... No way. And it is good, it schould be accesable to anyone who likes to train/challenge a dog ;)
This and the good beer might make me move back to good ol' Germany. :lol:

P.S. I would kill for a Currywurst mit Pommes rot/weiss :stickman:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

lol I'm sure she could find a few things to start charging you for as well
Choochi