July Photo of the Month Winner
Theme: Action
Pictured: Zoey
Submitted by: Borellar15
Zoey Loves Swimming

New option for posting images: Image

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.
August Theme is Hiking

Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

July Runner Up
Pictured: Karma
Submitted by: Wes Thomas

Leaps and Bounds in training!

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Leaps and Bounds in training!

Post by turnnburn52984 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 am

At SchH this yesterday I had a very distractible dog. No focus at all! It was a bit frustrating, but I got some nice eye contact at 'Fuss' for a moment and put him up for the day. There was a new pup (9 weeks) there, and he just could not seem to get over her. Sigh.

Today however- WOW, did he make up for it! We were at a playground, lots of kids... being kids.
Koenig gave me a beautiful Platz for 3 min, 20-30 feet away. Nice Fuss, great animation... totally made up for my disappointment yesterday! I was really impressed. He can work with crazy kids around, now I've just got to get him to ignore other dogs/handlers. :roll:

During 'work' tonight. :)
Kelly
Koenig

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Leaps and Bounds in training!

Post by leih merigian » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :D I love those training successes!

He is just gorgeous, BTW.

Keep that memory in your Happy Place to go to when you have another one of the....other....days :fluffy:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...

turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Leaps and Bounds in training!

Post by turnnburn52984 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:20 pm

leih merigian wrote: Keep that memory in your Happy Place to go to when you have another one of the....other....days :fluffy:

It always amazes me with horses and dogs, how you can be working for a week straight on shaping a behavior, and it's just never quite there.... and all of a sudden it just CLICKS! Yes!

And thanks, I think he's pretty good lookin too! :)
Kelly
Koenig