How to pronounce Dutch Command for heel?

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: How to pronounce Dutch Command for heel?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Choochi wrote:
icvanstra wrote:with all the love in the world for Christie...

It drove me nuts when I heard her pronounce it "full again"
:lol: :lol: thats exactly how I remember hearing it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Some of the Beauceron here were not impressed with my pronunciation of French commands either. Sometimes I couldn't be sure if they were just suffering from "Selective Hearing", or if I had really messed up a word.
Then we had the GSD imports, and the dogs who were raised on English, so sometimes they all got the wrong commands.
All of them understood the swearing tho'! :mrgreen:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Dutchringgirl wrote:
Choochi wrote:
icvanstra wrote:with all the love in the world for Christie...

It drove me nuts when I heard her pronounce it "full again"
:lol: :lol: thats exactly how I remember hearing it.
When I was picking up Boaz in The Netherlands, I asked the breeder if I was saying the words correctly. I think they were being very polite when they suggested that I can use English commands. :doh:
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

CaroleBoaz wrote:When I was picking up Boaz in The Netherlands, I asked the breeder if I was saying the words correctly. I think they were being very polite when they suggested that I can use English commands. :doh:
...and you can!

Pick a language and work with it!

10+ years ago my friends joked that I spoke Abigailese - a mix of german, dutch, english and grunts. It is what worked with Abby and me.

You can speak pig latin to your best friend as long as that is the best form of communication between the two of you.

Early on I chose to use Dutch commands - not because of the breed - but because that is the native tongue of my family.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I use the language that my first dog was trained in. It's too confusing for ME to use different languages for different dogs. People think I'm speaking German anyways.
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

icvanstra wrote:
CaroleBoaz wrote:When I was picking up Boaz in The Netherlands, I asked the breeder if I was saying the words correctly. I think they were being very polite when they suggested that I can use English commands. :doh:
...and you can!

Pick a language and work with it!

10+ years ago my friends joked that I spoke Abigailese - a mix of german, dutch, english and grunts. It is what worked with Abby and me.

You can speak pig latin to your best friend as long as that is the best form of communication between the two of you.

Early on I chose to use Dutch commands - not because of the breed - but because that is the native tongue of my family.
Yeah but you have to be knowledgeable about the sport you want to play....if you're gonna play. I think the rules are completely ridiculous for French Ring. They are pretentious to say the least. But if you're gonna play....you have to go by the "rules."
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I walked into my vets office the other day, as did one of my club members. He is standing at the opposite end of the waiting room, and tells his dog 'af'. The vet tech comes in, and asks if we know each other. I asked what gave it away, and she said 'because he said the very same thing you always tell your dogs'. And for just a second, I am thinking 'doesn't everyone ask their dog to down'? Duh...not in Dutch, I guess.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

vneerland wrote: Duh...not in Dutch, I guess.
:wtg:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

CaroleBoaz wrote:I use the language that my first dog was trained in. It's too confusing for ME to use different languages for different dogs. People think I'm speaking German anyways.
I understand that completely!! I have always trained the Dutch dogs in Dutch (well, my very bastardized version of it :oops: ). Now that I am working the German Shepherd, I find myself tripping over all kinds of commands. "Sitz, Af, Foose, Stelin.." AHHHHHHHHH!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
DSGirl
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have 1 Dutch Shepherd pup who is a fun boy to work. And I look forward to competing with him in the future.

Post by DSGirl »

I always get weird looks when I am out with Gage, or the previous working dogs that I had, and I gave them commands. I live in a small area that no one has every heard of Schutzhund, or Ring Sport. And no one trains their dogs in anything but english. It is always quite fun to watch the puzzled looks on their faces until I explained. :)
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd