How to pronounce Dutch Command for heel?

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
DSGirl
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have 1 Dutch Shepherd pup who is a fun boy to work. And I look forward to competing with him in the future.

How to pronounce Dutch Command for heel?

Post by DSGirl »

Hi,

I have a pup that I am training for ring sport, and I want to be sure I am using the right commands in training. The first time I looked up the heel command I found the word "Voet", pronounced "foot". That was a few years back. Now when I looked up commands to refresh all I find is the word "Volg". What is the correct heel command in dutch? And if it is "Volg" how do you pronounce it? Thanks.
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Re: How to pronounce Dutch Command for heel?

Post by Choochi »

To me it always sounds like "follogen" with the g pronounced like the g in dog not generation.
Choochi
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Choochi wrote:To me it always sounds like "follogen" with the g pronounced like the g in dog not generation.
That's how I say it, although I am sure it rolls off my lips incorrectly :D

DS Girl - welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the "New Member Announcement" section and visit the User Control Panel to create a signature that includes your name. It helps the forum get to know you better!!

Thank you!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

That is also how I was told to pronounce it 8 years ago when I got my first dog trained in Dutch commands. And so, it is what I use.

It's not how the Dutch pronounce it, though.

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab= ... |nl|follow
DSGirl
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have 1 Dutch Shepherd pup who is a fun boy to work. And I look forward to competing with him in the future.

Post by DSGirl »

Thanks everyone. I really like the word voet, but don't want to get hit for it while in a trial. lol. I am excited about competing with this pup when he is older.
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Choochi wrote:To me it always sounds like "follogen" with the g pronounced like the g in dog not generation.
Wow, I was always wondering what they were saying LOL.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Choochi
Training Dog

Post by Choochi »

DSGirl wrote:Thanks everyone. I really like the word voet, but don't want to get hit for it while in a trial. lol. I am excited about competing with this pup when he is older.
Which ringsport are you training for? If it's French you won't be allowed to use Dutch commands.
Choochi
DSGirl
Puppy

Post by DSGirl »

Choochi,

I didn't see that part in the NARA rule book. Where is that rule located? I would rather change his commands now before I get to indepth if that is indeed a fact. Thanks.
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Selena
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Selena van Leeuwen, 35 yo, married to Dick. We have 2 children, a boy just turned 3 and a girl who will be 2 in may. We breed xHH, we developed our own bloodline with in mind how a PSD should be in our eyes.

Post by Selena »

Voet is used (required) fo the place/ start heel position in IPO. Voet and volg(en) can both be used in IPO for heel command. Most common in KNPV is volg(en) for heel and plaats for heelposition (no required commands, you are free to choose tourown as long it has to do with the exercise you're performing.
Choochi
Training Dog

Post by Choochi »

I don't remember where it is but I was going to train my boy in Dutch also and it was pointed out to me (it's in there some where in NARA and CRA and comes down directly from France). You have to use commands in French or your native language.
Choochi
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

Choochi wrote:I don't remember where it is but I was going to train my boy in Dutch also and it was pointed out to me (it's in there some where in NARA and CRA and comes down directly from France). You have to use commands in French or your native language.
I think it does say it in the rule book that a dog must be trained in its "native" language or French (so here, English or French), but I don't think that NARA has ever docked or excused anyone for it. I asked a few NARA judges previously and they said they don't care. Lots of dogs are titled in German or Dutch. So unless you are planning to compete in France, I don't think you have anything to worry about. ARF is a bit more of a stickler about it, but they said they would let it slide for a Brevet and FR1.....and the reality is there are no ARF trials scheduled at this point, so that's mute anyway.
Christie Meyer

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
DSGirl
Puppy

Post by DSGirl »

Thanks. I only plan to compete locally, so I am not worried about going to france. My Dutch pup doesn't have any papers or anything, he comes from strictly working lines. He will compete with a blue book, I believe thats what its called, so we can't go to compete in France anyways. Thanks again.
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Mine came knowing French so I never thought about it, ( see how much I read the rule book) I did hear other languages on the Ring field though, most of us just did it for fun so the judges didnt mind. I dont think it will be a problem to teach them two languages if you wanted to use both, Mine learned "HEY" pretty quick after using the Ring commands for years.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Choochi
Training Dog

Post by Choochi »

Right, but the rule is there and you would be playing chances that the judge will be ok with it. If you happen to go to a trial where a French judge has been brought in, you might be out of luck. I heard Daniella who has Baron got in trouble at one point as his commands are German but it was then explained to the judge she's actually from Germany so she was allowed to proceed.
Choochi
Choochi
Training Dog

Post by Choochi »

Christie M wrote:
Choochi wrote:and the reality is there are no ARF trials scheduled at this point, so that's mute anyway.

Really? huh.. plus it's not like you could cross trial between Nara and Arf any ways as they don't recognize each other's titles :roll:
Choochi
DSGirl
Puppy

Post by DSGirl »

I would hate to have to re-train my pup from Dutch to French since he is doing so well with the Dutch.

But I will do what needs to be done. Better now than 2 years down the road.
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

with all the love in the world for Christie...

It drove me nuts when I heard her pronounce it "full again"

:pint:

p.s. Christie... did you get my message about Celis being on tap here?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

icvanstra wrote:with all the love in the world for Christie...

:pint:

p.s. Christie... did you get my message about Celis being on tap here?
Yes, and I replied! Best beer EVERY!! Gonna be your way on the 10th to represent the AWDF at the national meeting. Maybe lunch is in order?

And I KNOW I say to ridiculously. I have asked for help but have no chance on the rolling R thing. At least my 4-leggeds don't care.

PS - I never thought about it.....but that is an exact translation on how I say it :D
Christie Meyer

Choochi
Training Dog

Post by Choochi »

icvanstra wrote:with all the love in the world for Christie...

LMAO that's hilarious!

and DSGirl, looks like one of your club members asked this question on the FR group and some one did find the rule book section:
1.10.1 Commands
1.10.1.1 All voice commands must be in conformity with the rules, without any modification, or will be subject to penalization of points. Equivalent commands may be given in the handler’s language.
Choochi
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

I had trouble with the German commands when I started Schutzhund so to remember what to say to turn the dog on I said "piss off". And there is a club in the region who's name I can't say so I call them Hopscotch. :)

One day I think it would be fun to train a dog in Dutch.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com