Marco got his BH !!

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Marco got his BH !!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Marco got his BH and is showing off his medal :DSorange:
Marco BH.JPG
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Re: Marco got his BH !!

Post by Marjolein »

WOW, congrats! The medal ribbon even has the appropriate Dutch colors :DScool: :DSorange:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

YAY!!! Congrats! First step down!

:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

:w00t:

Congrats!!
Sue (and Sugar)

felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

oh Marco - Congrats and you look ever so handsome wearing your medal!!! Congrats to your mommy too, but I know you did all the work!! ;)
Barbara, Odin & Kai
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Congratulations! Neat medal too!

What kinds of things did they have you do for the practical portion? What org was it under (USA/DVG)?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

It was a DVG trial but Marco participated with a score book from the Working Dutch Shepherd Association. :mrgreen:

The routine is rather boring (you asked, here it is, now you must read it):

On leash about 50 steps heeling, about turn, about 10 steps normal, about 15 fast, about 15 slow, about 10 normal, right turn, about 10 steps, right turn, about 15 steps, about turn, about 7 steps, stop, basic position, about 7 more steps, left turn, into the group, left around a person, right around a person, stop. out of group, about turn, couple of steps, basic position, leash off, back into the group and the whole heeling routine again without a leash. :shock:
[Marco: "Mom, really, I just did the whole routine. I have to do it AGAIN !!!! :stickman: :stickman: there are some kitties I rather chase, PLEAAAASE" :dsrazz: "Shut up, Marco, do as I say and I will not kill you tonight" ] :ninja:

Then basic position and after about 15 steps: "sitz", walking 15 steps, turn around, wait for the judge to signal, back to dog, basic position, after about 15 steps: "platz" , 30 steps, turn around (yeah Marco still platz), wait for judge to signal, recall, sitz, basic position, back on lead, directed by judge to down position. Then down under distraction (in our case, feral cats, airplanes taking off :roll: ) while other dog does the obedience portion of the BH. After that comes the"traffic" portion, i.e. bicycle, jogger, platz in a group of people walking in circles, walking by a tied up dog, being the dog tied up and another dog wallking by.

Then mom has a well deserved Heineken :pint:

It doesn't sound all that difficult (and it isn't in theory) but keeping the dog excited doing this boring stuff is the main challenge. :whistle:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

What happened to the gun fire? That was such a wonderful selection tool. No more shooting?

Congrats to you and Marco though. Now on to??? (sch 1?)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

vneerland wrote:What happened to the gun fire? That was such a wonderful selection tool. No more shooting?
Not in BH anymore, but in SCH I, or as they call it now, IPO I, they fire away :rambo: :rambo:

vneerland wrote: Congrats to you and Marco though. Now on to??? (sch 1?)
Thanks. Yeah, training hard towards SCH I. But we are a long shot away. Trials are always great to un-cover issues that need "more attention to detail" :roll: But we are in good hands with Phil [he won the 2012 DVG National Championship, for the 9th time (with 7 different dogs), so he must do something right :mrgreen: ] I still can't believe he even bothers with us. He is really a great person and trainer.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Thanks! I'm always curious about the traffic portion as it can vary so much. Sounds like yours was pretty standard. Some judges come up with crazy stuff. Cats for a distraction would be tough!

The BH is soooooo much heeling! Although my first dog had the best heeling for her BH. Then it deteriorated over the years as I got lazy and wasn't rewarding shorter distances.

Judith - I think they got rid of the gun shot in the BH as it was used in Germany to determine temperament and they didn't want dogs failing the test and being euthanized just because they were sound sensitive.

Good luck working towards your IPO1! You'll get there. It's better to take longer and get it solid. So much of the 1 is the basis for the 2 and 3.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

k9katet wrote:Judith - I think they got rid of the gun shot in the BH as it was used in Germany to determine temperament and they didn't want dogs failing the test and being euthanized just because they were sound sensitive.
I pesonally doubt that a German would put a dog down if it could not pass a BH. They'd sell it to the USA instead. :roll: (not totally kidding either) ;)
For me, it used to be a temperament test, yes. And gun shy is potentially more than just sound sensitive. (potentially, not always) I'd say it's a good thing to weed out the ones that have no place in Schutzhund because they are bundles of bad nerves. But that's just me, pretty hard core still and not too much patience for covering up bad flaws by dumping requirements out of a test. :oops:
(and not at all related to Marco, of course)
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Schlussdibusti wrote: SCH I, or as they call it now, IPO I,
ehm, that is not true, it is a different programm and title. It is almost the same, the only difference I know of is that in part C of IPO you have to call the dog out of the hide whilst barking at the helper, where in SchH you can go and stand next to the barking dog and give a heel command and move away from the helper together. Calling the dog out is much more difficult ;) I like it more too 8-)

I know a lot of dogs that have both SchH and IPO tiltles, so they are not the same entirely ;)

on the shooting, I think it is stupid too, but they apperently decided to do that because BH is also obligatory for SPH (tracking) examns where the shooting is not an issue :roll:
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Marjolein wrote:
Schlussdibusti wrote: SCH I, or as they call it now, IPO I,
ehm, that is not true, it is a different programm and title.
This is from the DVG America website http://www.dvgamerica.com/rules.html:

New Trial Rules Info

GENERAL INFORMATION

- There will no longer be “SchH or VPG” titles, only IPO.
- The former WH title is gone!
- A minimum score of 80 in protection is no longer required to move on to the next level. A minimum of 70 points is sufficient for the dog to go to the next level.
- A Judge may judge up to a maximum of 36 parts in one day.
Note: It is still ok to present multiple scorebooks.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Have not read the link yet, but it does sound like they relaxed the rules. :o :(
Did Schutzhund USA do the same, or is this DVG only? :?
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

Schlussdibusti wrote: This is from the DVG America website http://www.dvgamerica.com/rules.html:

New Trial Rules Info

GENERAL INFORMATION

- There will no longer be “SchH or VPG” titles, only IPO.
- The former WH title is gone!
- A minimum score of 80 in protection is no longer required to move on to the next level. A minimum of 70 points is sufficient for the dog to go to the next level.
- A Judge may judge up to a maximum of 36 parts in one day.
Note: It is still ok to present multiple scorebooks.
that just states that they no longer do the other two programms, which is a good idea since they are pretty much the same. In Holland only a small group of GSD owners still do the SchH thing, everyone else does IPO. In Germany you can still do all 3 :huh:
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

What title do you get nowadays at a German DVG trial, IPO or SCH? Are you saying that depends what the club decides? DVG and SV are members of the FCI and should judge according to IPO rules otherwise they might ruin the dogs chances to compete internationally, i.e. having a SCH title and not an IPO.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

Schlussdibusti wrote:What title do you get nowadays at a German DVG trial, IPO or SCH? Are you saying that depends what the club decides? DVG and SV are members of the FCI and should judge according to IPO rules otherwise they might ruin the dogs chances to compete internationally, i.e. having a SCH title and not an IPO.
No, YOU, the handler decides what programm you want to do, before you start, obviously :lol: The judge can judge all programm in one day, but I believe only SV approved judges can do the SchH. But most (all??) VPG/IPO judges in Germany are SV approved ;)
For a GSD it makes no sense doing IPO or VPG if they want to breed, since you will not get the correct papers (don't know all about that, something with red or yellow papers or whatever), SV only accepts SchH for the "ankörung". The rest you could do for fun, or to be able to say "my dogs has this and that".
For Rottweilers, I remember it was the VPG that counted, and then the IPO was the extra. The ADRK wanted dogs to be VPG. All others, and all the Dutch people did IPO at our club, except the Dutch with GSD 'çause they want to breed under VDH (Dutch SV) who also values the SchH programm. In Holland VDH also had a different programm, not sure what they call that anymore...

Also, like I said, one dog can have SchH3 AND IPO3, or SchH2 and VPG3 and IPO1 etc.
You follow? :roll: :D Pretty complicated stuff... ;)
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Holy crap :eek: :pint:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

I just saw a letter from DVG Headquarters to the Florida club I am traing with.

First of all, all American DVG clubs get their correspondence from DVG Headquarters in GERMAN not English. How ignorant!!! So it's up to the clubs to have it translated. Pffft :dsrazz:

I just flew over the pages (8 pages, small print) and it looks like the DVG voted not to be a member of the VDH anymore. :duh: Looking at this "organizational structure of dog clubs" http://www.dvgamerica.com/abcsdvg.html, I wonder what that all means. Not a member of the DHV = not a member of FCI?

The DVG of America considered leaving the German DVG, I begin to understand why. :whistle:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida