Schutzhund,

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Nico
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico

Schutzhund,

Post by Nico »

Hi,
I just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone had any feedback for me. I want my dog Cola, (3mo old) to start doing some sports. i had thought Schutzhund. I live in New York City but am willing to travel a bit. I enrolled her in an intro to agility class starting the 9th of January, because I think she would be good at it and also because I want her to have structured activity. At a certain point I had identified a person to help me train her ( or train me to train her), a member of a local Schutzhund Club. However he has been lass than communicative and so i figured i would ask around to see if anyone knows or knows about folks in my area who have had success titling their own dogs in either Schutzhund or IPO or something else similar, and are willing to help me learn to train her, thanks
Nico, Molly and Cola
Brindle
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !

UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( youngster in training )

Re: Schutzhund,

Post by Brindle »

I'm not in your area so cann't help with personal recommendations but a UScA has some affiliated clubs listed for New York http://www.germanshepherddog.com/clubs/ ... astern.htm
Mid Island Schutzhund club also came up when I did a google search and may be another option http://www.midislandschutzhundclub.com/index.html

Good luck with your search :)
Schutzhund ( now known as IPO ) is fun, but it's also a lot of work. Many many hours of training.
Visit as many groups as you can near you and observe how they train and how the members get along. All training groups are a little different and you will have more fun and success if you train with people that get along and train in a way that makes sense to you.
Some groups are all positive, some are compulsion based, some a combination of both.
Lots of options out there for you and your dog.
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V

Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD

Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )