Searching for a quality trainer in my area

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Searching for a quality trainer in my area

Post by Stacy_R »

I would like to have Tyson tested to see if he is a candidate for personal protection. I am researching online to find reputable trainers in my area - Charlotte, NC.

Before I spend too much time and energy, do any of the breeders on this forum have any insight for me? Who to stay away from or, preferably, any recommendations for my area?

I did find this website, but wanted to get feedback before I go much further:
http://worldclasscanine.com/Home_Page.php

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

:DScool:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
MeganBays
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Searching for a quality trainer in my area

Post by MeganBays »

I have visited on IPO club in Fayetteville NC a couple times, and know one of their former members (she moved to a different state). They seem like a really nice group of people, and I know their TD/decoy has hosted a few seminars on the east coast. I also believe they have held a regionals trial, and that he has decoyed in regionals in the past.
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Thanks Megan...I will see if I can find them. Fayetteville is a bit too far to be practical for me, but I will contact them and see if they can lead me in the right direction in the Charlotte area.
Muchas gracias!
~Stacy
Mom to:
MeganBays
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Post by MeganBays »

No problem; I'm sure they'll know of someone closer in your area. They have an active FB page, so if you are on there it shouldn't be too hard to touch base with them.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I agree with Megan - start asking around the IPO/PSA/FR clubs. A lot of those guys train PPDs. I know a few of the guys in my club have been doing it for years. And I'm sure you've already figured it out, any PP program that says "board and train for x weeks" be very weary of. We went to see a few of those programs for info to satisfy my curiosity and not only were they expensive, they used a business model of "upkeep/training for life is free" meaning they taught OB in those few weeks and you taught the protection in group classes in one location, usually in cornered environments which forced the dog to react. Not exactly a great way to teach protection.

Also, I was told once by our club trainer that a PPD can be trained within a year or two, depending on the dog, with a good trainer. He said while he could teach a dog to bite on command in a week or two, it's the proofing and testing in scenarios that takes time and you really want to spend time on that.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have them, but around here we had a couple of disturbing, and in the end, sad, instances of dogs (including a DS) trained for PP...all trainer/training related. Just be wicked careful.

Why are you interested in possibly training Ty for PP? If it's a neighborhood "thing," usually the best deterrent is simply having a dog (or one that just looks menacing). You could teach a watch command; anything else opens up liability issues.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Yup or get him started in a protection sport... I think it helps both handler and dog gain confidence in each other. No one will approach if you and dog look confident and Tyson has a nice "watch" or "alert" command.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Sharon...good points. Tyson does have a fierce bark trained with the command "guard." Maybe I can develop that into a watch behavior. I will talk to the trainers that we work with already about shaping that behavior and leaving it at that. And, Kira, good thoughts on protection sports instead of actual PP. I guess I am curious more than anything. Tyson goes with me to a lot of places and my husband initially brought up the PP thing. And no worries...I am super vigilant about checking out trainers. I don't trust just anyone with my boy!!!! :)
~Stacy
Mom to:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Stacy did you ever find a trainer you liked? I was just surfing Facebook and realized that if you join the PSA group FB page, you could probably find a decent trainer by asking the group… I saw a few people asking and there seemed to be a lot of names on the east coast.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

My search sort of stalled...life got in the way by way of me over-committing myself...LOL. Thank you for letting me know about the FB page! I am not on FB, but if the page is public I can go look and see what I can find.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Lol I hear that. For some reason I thought this had happened months ago.... Time flies! I think the page is... If not I can ask for you.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)