Building Ball Drive

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Re: Building Ball Drive

Post by k9lexi »

Lexi knows heel in a moving motion and then she knows to stop when I do. She also knows to sit or down from a heel while I keep walking. Just went out to try using the ball. It did not start out well at all. It is not our routine and she was confused why I wasn't throwing the ball right away ... so much so she jumped for the ball in my hand and got my hand too. So after putting on a garden glove ... attempt number two. I started with easy stuff just so she would understand this is training with ball as reward. Then I worked in when she returned I'd start walking away, get to heel, and circle back around to stop at heel. I think she will get it with a few more sessions. When she masters that we can work in something else thanks everybody !
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Yay! Yeah they all do the jumping and attempt to pry the ball out of your hands at first. You're on the right track to start with simple stuff, and I would suggest to do that in varying amounts when starting sessions. It should help her transition, so when you're working with the ball she isn't dive bombing your hand as much.

If you keep the ball high (like above your waist, or on your shoulder), if she jumps do a quick about turn so you're walking in the opposite direction (so the ball is farthest from her). I would also keep her on lead during this so as she jumps you can correct her. I will say, though, that my thoughts on this are two fold depending on her training. One, I do this with H, as I learned when working on heel work to do this when the dog messes up as it refocuses them on you. The fact that as you turn, they loose sight of the ball, builds a little drive but is also a form of correction via body (loosing sight of the ball). So far he has not shown any negatives when I do this and thinks its part of the game. Pairing it with the leash correction only when she jumps should help her realize jumping doesn't get the ball, and to get it remaining as close as she can is the way. Two, if you want to do about turns you may want to think about this before doing the correction and how you will address the about turn. Will it be different? Will there be a signal? Or will she just learn that the correction is for leash jumping (maybe pairing with a "no")? Just some thoughts - the jumping slays me every time H does that and part of it is impulse control, which he lacks some days, lol.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Awesome thread folks :wtg:

This is turning out to be one of my favorite discussions of the year. :D

Keep up the great work!

:DScool:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Great job!! She will get the idea fast! As you continue to practice you can try holding the ball in your right hand at your side (she can't see it but knows its there) but be careful with this - it can cause crabbing. LOL - I am now holding ICE's toy in my left hand at his side so he doesn't crab.... Other things you can do are just concentrate on heel position itself - ask for heel then have her stay and you pivot and ask for heel again. Or, one of my favorites, when she returns with the ball ask for heel as you are walking backwards - she will have to flip and walk backwards to catch that position with movement. I guess that one would depend on what kind of finish you have chosen to use.
I would also like to add to maybe not correct for the jumping at you - try to use it. I like to add games in my heel to build excitement and drive (heeling is pretty boring). I use a spin at my side, weave thru my legs a super high touch of my left hand and leaving to circle trees and bushes (just like blind search). It works well for ICE and he has to do these tricks then get right back into position. You know Lexi best, just some ideas.
Patty and Ice
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

She only jumped once at the beginning of our session tonight and not near the I'm past as yesterday. I mixed it up ... some just play and some yiu have to work for me to throw the ball. I worked that when she was returning with the ball I walked away and asked her to heel, then turned toward my original position and when i stopped she sat ... at that moment I said heel followed by excited good girl, free, and throw the ball I'm trying to emphasize that heel also means sitting next to me. It was definitely better than yesterday I like making her work for play time. Great idea. LOVE the idea of walking backwards in a heel and I've seen it done before ... I've just a little more work before I try that ;) someone also mentioned working with a wall to prevent the button swinging out. I'll need to try that inside because if I try to just get to sit next to me she does want the button out so she can see me better or something then I have to take a couple steps to get her back in line with me thanks everybody
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

We would use a wall working at the heel to help them stay straight. many times while looking up at the tug they would swing out.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
bannerd
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Small farmer with other animals and two DS (Koda and Tura).

Post by bannerd »

Wall or two people using the other person to push the dog closer to the handler.
Dutch Shepherd Kota(Koda) Male Brindle with a white patch on his stomach!