This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Please take a moment
to complete the
Photo Contest Survey

Did you know you can embed YouTube
videos in your posts? Instructions Here
Just registered? Read This. Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Possible TMJ for protection prospect.

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in Southern California. I have a young shepherd who is about 14 months... I am interested in doing some protection training with him.. He is extremely athletic with a very strong drive.

Possible TMJ for protection prospect.

Post by batali » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi everyone... I have a female that is about 13 months.. Recently she played with a jolly ball and had her mouth stuck open for about 1 minute before she got it to normal.. This was the first time that has ever happened. Just recently, I had a incisor pulled out because she shattered one while dismembering a possum she got a hold of.. Nipping and jumping at the possum and biting the wire fence was what I suspect did it. After the tooth was pulled out the following day, she yawned and it happened again.. I was wondering if it is tmj and if it is would have any effect on bite work at all.. She seems to eat normal, not in pain and yawns a lot but only has gotten stuck on 2 occassions.. On a smaller note, will that missing incisor interfere with her ability to hold and do bite work as well. I am more concerned about the tmj though.

Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Possible TMJ for protection prospect.

Post by icvanstra » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Can't answer on the TMJ issue...

IMHO missing an incisor shouldn't be a problem like missing one of the canines would be.
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)