male or female ????

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
Jbou
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a person who is rally working hard with our dogs in many sports: Oddience, conformation, Sch, agility and Rally-O.
I breed standard schnauzer around 20 years.
I, also , work with my 4lbs pomeranian girl in those same activities.
I dream about a Dutch dog since a saw them in France in a frind house.

male or female ????

Post by Jbou »

What sexe do you suggest me to have as my first DS ?
And why ?
:huh:
I have to told that I'm use to deal with high temper breeding stock.
My dogs know that I'm the leader of the pack, they love me and respect with positive behavior.

It,s just I don't want to train 2 pups at the same time.
Good training need time and concentration on 1 pup at the time ( I think!)

Lovely,

Josée
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Re: male or female ????

Post by CaroleBoaz »

That's a tough question. I think it's a personal preference.

I like boys. My female tends to be the trouble maker in the house. I also have a friend who feels the same way about her female. With both of us, our boys tend to follow house rules better than the girls, who want what they want.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

With dogs, Id rather have girls, My X had a male Mal and he is great though. Both my Mal and Ds were great in and out of the house, temperament etc. I cant say what I would do If I was presented with a nice male pup, But I tend to lean towards females.

I agree that would be a personal preference.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

You may be used to deal with what you call 'high temper breeding stock" but you are new to the DS. If you get a good working line pup, I assure you, you are about to bite off a lot more than you can imagine. If you have selected a breeder that knows how to select a working candidate, you can expect a working candidate, regardless of the dogs gender. In that case, I would opt for a female. No trouble makers if they are raised right, with on average more focus on the handler and less on their own agenda (like where to pee next) :mrgreen:
Boys are the more prevalent choice for those who want to do serious protection work, like law enforcement applications, but truly, a good bitch can surely stand her ground as well. It is, indeed personal preference, but for your case, I would recommend a bitch to start with.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Jbou
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a person who is rally working hard with our dogs in many sports: Oddience, conformation, Sch, agility and Rally-O.

Post by Jbou »

Hi Judith,

TYVM, for your opnion and help.

I have a few breeders in France, 1 in Holland and 1 in Germany.

Do you thing that we can select a DS with a working pedigree over than how many titles he had earn if he works with th pups ( well behavior, bites work starting) ?

I had recieve a lot of pictures and video from the litter I can have to choice between male or female.
The breeder is really easy to speak ( good relationship) .

I'm use too choose my schnauzer with the pedigree and feeling with th breeders and pictures. Except pups born in my house they're all import ( Russia, Hungary, Italy,Czech Rep, USA). For sure I have a better eyes for schnauzer than DS !

Happy Thankgiving,

Josée
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Jbou wrote:Do you thing that we can select a DS with a working pedigree over than how many titles he had earn if he works with th pups ( well behavior, bites work starting) ?
I had recieve a lot of pictures and video from the litter I can have to choice between male or female.
The breeder is really easy to speak ( good relationship) .
Of course, It is a personal thing between you and the breeder. There are some I truly trust and some that might just tell you what you want to hear. :( Since you have done it before, I assume that you might be able to tell the difference. You know, no doubt, that you have a better chance of getting a pup that can do the job you have in mind for it, if the parents can do the same job too. And naturally, I would assume that you will need at least pictures to prove that (or working/show titles)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

From my humble observation over the years I was involved in DVG, if you really want a DS with working or sport potential, look for a breeder who has proven dogs that are actively working ie police, military, etc and not so much titles. The reason I am saying this is that from what I have witnessed there are dogs that have titled not through genetic potential but through the use of force. For example, I trained with a guy who had a Malinois that had SchIII, IPO3,....titles but the dog just did not have 'it' genetically. He achieved those titles through compulsion training methods. When the dog was studded out, and esp if it was to a bitch who also did not have the inate drives, the pups were a wash out. Of course, this guy would advertise all the titles over and over and get more and more breedings but the pups never had it. Just sayin'.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

GSDNanny wrote:From my humble observation over the years I was involved in DVG, if you really want a DS with working or sport potential, look for a breeder who has proven dogs that are actively working ie police, military, etc and not so much titles. The reason I am saying this is that from what I have witnessed there are dogs that have titled not through genetic potential but through the use of force. For example, I trained with a guy who had a Malinois that had SchIII, IPO3,....titles but the dog just did not have 'it' genetically. He achieved those titles through compulsion training methods. When the dog was studded out, and esp if it was to a bitch who also did not have the inate drives, the pups were a wash out. Of course, this guy would advertise all the titles over and over and get more and more breedings but the pups never had it. Just sayin'.
Totally agree with the above. Following the same, there are some excellent dogs out there that aren't titled, and produce excellent working dogs. You may never know about them unless you get more involved and get to know more players in the breed and sport/work arenas. You need to look at titles with a grain of salt, they aren't always a reliable certificate of temperament but rather the trainer. You can pick a pup with the nicest looking piece of paper for a pedigree and titles and the thing could be a total dud and not work. Knowing the dogs as opposed to just reading their resume is a much better way to pick a pup, look at videos and ask others in the know what they know and think about the dogs in question or if they have seen them actually work/train/trial.

And regarding boy or girl.. I think it's a totally personal choice. Both can make excellent working/sport dogs, both can be a pain in the ass or a pleasure to live with. I would be judging the individual puppy based on what you have in front of you in that particular dog rather then generalizing about the different sexes. Decide what qualities you want in the pup and pick based on that.
Choochi
Jbou
Puppy

Post by Jbou »

Thank you for all of your advise I appreciate it.

For now, I will wait for video and shown to my Ring club and will see which is morpromessing RING workr pup potential ( Not me as I don't have the knowldge for that) but by the club member who have experience in Ring Title.

Merry Chritsmas ,
Josée
Kels
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi guys! I'm Kels(ey). I'm fourteen years old an have fallen in love with the breed when I mt one three years ago when I met my cousins rescue boy. I studied them, and will continue!

I curretly dontown anything close t a Dutchi, but two and a half dogs.

Id first like to bring in Althea de les Chasseur, or as AKC/USDAA/NADAC knows her as KC's Identity Crisis. She's a sx year old (as of october 5th!) Epagneul Breton from field lines. We've been competing in agility for eight months. She's my little princess, and everything I could ask for in a dog!

Next, is my unborn puppy, who already has a name. Zoom, a working bred Border Collie from Culleymont Farm. (S)he will be coming home around May hopefully, and willbe training in obedience, agility, herding, ad dock diving.

Lastly, is my mom's dog Toby, or Shuffler's Bid according to USDAA. He's a Chihuahua mix, but thinks he'sa Great Dane! He's a spunky guy, and loves to spin, bark, and spin some more.

Post by Kels »

Late reply, w.e.

I prefer males, just because I like to leave my dogs intact for health reasons, and heats are a pain in the ass.

Plus since I also compete in agility and other sports, heats can mess up with competition.