What a difference a month makes!

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

What a difference a month makes!

Post by Lauren »

Xena and I went for our second herding lesson. The first was a huge group thing, this was just a semi private hour with a friend and her GSD. Xena LOVES this. She can hardly contain herself, but I am told that will improve.
DSC02120.jpg
DSC02120.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
Apparently this little girl is quite a natural. :D (not that I am biased or anything) The first time we went she pretty much tried to attack the sheep running around non-stop and barking. This time, something had definitely shifted. She realized that we were working together to move these sheep! She changed her direction according to my direction and She was VERY good at "there" which means she holds the sheep opposite from my position.
"There"
"There"
DSC02114.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
Here she is at point, according to where the sheep are looking...
Here she is at point, according to where the sheep are looking...
DSC02110.jpg (98.01 KiB) Viewed 9562 times

After two or the times telling her "there" when she naturally did it, she understood the cue. Not only THAT but she held them at point according to where the lead sheep was looking!!!!! And she was able to focus enough to down and hold them when asked~
Don't move a hoof!
Don't move a hoof!
DSC02112.jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
I am blown away!

Now if I can get her to quit screaming when it is someone else's turn. She obviously thinks she can do it better! :dsrazz:
Lauren from Western NC
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: What a difference a month makes!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

This is awesome! As a herding dog, she has it in her genes to do this job. Are you getting her a herd of sheep? :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Someone down the road from me has sheep----thinking of finding out how they would feel about my dog coming over for a visit, just to see if Lyric would even pay any attention to them----I had 2 very stupid sheep years ago, no desire to get any more. (unless they come as dog food)
Photos are great! I'll bet you're very proud of her!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

excellent!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

wow!! great shots and go Xena. I wonder if Odin could herd?????
Barbara, Odin & Kai
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Very nice, and good photos!

I wonder, though, if she's just waiting for you to take down the fence for her dinner. LOL!!
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

You have so much to be proud about! Go, Xena!

I read somewhere that--generally speaking--DSs tend to be better at (or prefer???) line herding. (???)

So, are your plans to take Xena all the way with this (competition or real deal) or is it too soon to decide?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

thanks guys. If the fence was down i think she would definitely go for a mutton chop. The first time a sheep stuck it's nose through to sniff her she snapped at it. the second time, she hesitated and the instructor said "Look! she is not even going for that nose!" I said "she's about to" and SNAP. :dssmile:

I had herd that they were mostly line herders too. But the instructors (who I am PAYING, of course) said even at the first lesson they thought she would compete well.... So who knows! We will keep going as long as i can afford it and she enjoys it! :dsshock:

If nothing else, the dynamic between us really shifted that day. Not just how she views me, but how I view our relationship too. It is a partnership. We both kind had that light bulb moment :P
Lauren from Western NC
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Lauren wrote:the second time, she hesitated and the instructor said "Look! she is not even going for that nose!" I said "she's about to" and SNAP. :dssmile:
Jinx! I think that was your instructor's fault for saying something. :p

Just came to me, why are those sheep so clean?!
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

Awesome pics, I bet it would be fun to watch in person :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

waYcool!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...