Herding in The Netherlands

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Re: Herding in The Netherlands

Post by kchristy »

:lol: :whistle:

Merlin tends to herd my son Thomas and practice bite work on him! The other day we were outside playing and Thomas is running full speed away from Merlin. Merlin circles around to Thomas' left to try to bring him into the corner of the yard. As Thomas starts to make his move to the right Merlin lunges through the air...... he clasps on to Thomas, by the arm, and takes him to the ground!!!! Awesomely enough, Thomas (who is 5) gives him the command "off" as Im running toward them and Merlin backs up and sits. Thomas gets up and starts hugging Merlin, ripped up shirt and all, and Merlin begins licking him in the face. They go back to playing like nothing even happened. We of course, are working on this not happening to Thomas, but I was proud of both of them for treating the situation like they did. :pint:
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Aww, what a story!
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Gutsy boy you have there---I'm sure you did need to calm your nerves a bit!
Maybe you have a dog trainer in the making!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

What an awesome little boy you have! To have kept his head in that kind of pumped-up situation, come up with the correct command, get it out, then be full of loving forgiveness...you must be so proud of him!

Way to go, mom! :wtg:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

got a little dog whisperer! Wait, the Dog Whisperer is little. :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

He needs a tiny bite suit!

What a good boy for keeping his cool!! My daughter squeals, well, like a girl, if Xena even licks her clarinet. :roll:
Lauren from Western NC
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Schlussdibusti wrote:got a little dog whisperer! Wait, the Dog Whisperer is little. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sue (and Sugar)

kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

lol, Thomas is very good with Merlin :) You can tell they have a real strong bond. Merlin doesn't leave his side for anything and even with Merlins young age if people come into the yard to talk to us, he is always between the person and our son. I was very proud of Thomas for giving the right command. They both suprise me so much, sometimes you just think they don't listen, then they will shock the crap out of you. lol
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin