Herding Class

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Herding Class

Post by Schlussdibusti »

I signed up Marco for herding class on March 17th. The instructor's name is Mike Horgan. He is located in Palm City, not too far from us.

I am really curious to see how Marco will respond to life stock and if there is a 'herder' in the Hollandse Herder. :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Herding Class

Post by Lauren »

OOOH! Have fun!

It is fun to watch that inner shepherd come to life!

Dn't wear your snorkel, Marco. The Ausies will laugh. :dsrazz:
Lauren from Western NC
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

that's great!!
Marco, you'll be just fine without your snorkel!! Have fun.

Take pics if you can.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Can't wait to hear how it goes! :wtg:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Fantastic!!! Cant wait to hear
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

jealous, jealous, jealous!!

:mrgreen:
See, I'm green with envy.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

The trainer never saw a Dutch Shepherd before :o but he seems not to be set on Border Collies and Aussies alone. He told me that his very first herding dog was a Rottweiler. So I hope Marco will be an ambassador of his breed.

Since he will work the dogs himself when they are newbies, I will have my hands free to take pics. Hopefully the pics don't end up as evidence for an insurance claim for a massacred sheep. :dsroll:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Well, it sounds like a blast. Can't wait to see the pics!
Sue (and Sugar)

GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

You will have a lot of fun, so will Marco. Do post pictures, k?

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:g_wink: How much does the sheep cost?

Okay. Just kidding. I have dogs that I know would be controllable, and some that...
Shoarma anyone? (=roast sheep meat)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Judith, replacement sheep costs usually start out at $150 each, depending on what the herd owner sets. Was fortunate with my GSDs in the past while herding at a farm where the owner would not be too upset if one of her sheep were injured.

But then again, I have been to trials where a friend with quiet passive little Shelties had to pay for one. Funny story. She and her dog had just stepped into the arena when the sheep freaked and ran, one hit the fence, flipped and broke its neck. Yeh, what luck. The dog just looked sheepishly (pun) like, "Not me, I didnt do a thing, what happened?" :squee:

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

whaha, I like Shoarma 8-)
I always tell the dogs when we pass sheep "look, walking Shoarma!"
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

GSDNanny wrote:Judith, replacement sheep costs usually start out at $150 each, depending on what the herd owner sets. Was fortunate with my GSDs in the past while herding at a farm where the owner would not be too upset if one of her sheep were injured.

While I do not want to see any animal hurt, that's quite a generous price. I guess the sheep have to be use to being herded in the first place, but....you can buy them a LOT cheaper at any sale barn? :yernuts:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

My herding fiasco only cost me an extra $15 for tetnus....but I'm sure the animal thought the wholes in its leg and tail (I mean the whole tail :cry: ) were worth considerable more.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Thanks for the encouraging words! :pint: :pint:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Time to save some $$ for the sheep. :mrgreen:
GSDNanny
Training Dog

Post by GSDNanny »

Yeh, sheep for pups or new dogs have to be 'dog-broke' and not light or flighty. So the sheep have to have some training. I usually start out the pups on ducks and then graduate up to sheep, then cows. Cheaper that way!

vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

GSDNanny wrote:Yeh, sheep for pups or new dogs have to be 'dog-broke' and not light or flighty. So the sheep have to have some training. I usually start out the pups on ducks and then graduate up to sheep, then cows. Cheaper that way!
Cows? Oh Lord! I learned (from visiting the sale barn) that cows over here, at least in TX (but I suspect it it not limited to) are very assertive. Not at all like the docile European pasture ornaments. I have seen Brahma's and Longhorns with above average aim and I don't think that I would be willing to see if any of my dogs could still eat without any of their teeth. :eek: I'd hate to sacrifice ducks or sheep to train my dogs, but I would hate to sacrifice dogs to move my cows too. :oops:
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

I think cows are a job for a real good Australian Cattle Dog! They work the stock quite well at the Rodeo here.
For now. I think, I'll just let Lyric play with her balls! :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
GSDNanny
Training Dog

Post by GSDNanny »

ACD are perfect for cows, hence the name. :D They are low to the ground and unrelenting with the cattle, mostly drivers to the head. Great tough little boogers. No, I dont work my GSDs or DS on cattle. They are an upright loose-eyed breed used mostly for tending. Ive been to many herding trials but have only been to one true stockdog trial. I was NOT prepared for the intensity by no means. Geez! Mostly Borders and BCX that would go into a cattle herd and not back down, literally taking a beating from the cattle, yet go for more. Some tossed into the air, stomped, etc. One sweet small little female got stomped, didnt phase her, came out and still had the muddy hoof prints along her back. That's the big boy, macho male club though and I prefer to actually work the stock with my dog(s) as should be, not to sacrifice my dog for entertainment purposes. Any off my soapbox.