Thor goes Sheeping!

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Thor goes Sheeping!

Post by Lauren »

Thor got to go along with his big sister to Sheep herding class. He stays outside the ring and watches with great interest. It is about the only time that dog is quiet. He can talk, grump, sing about just about everything!

Usually, we share a lesson with our GSD buddy, Bella, but she couldn't come so Thor got a chance to meet the sheep! He thought they were pretty cool. At first they stared at him and stomped their hooves in defiance. Well, Thor takes NO NOTICE of defiance and barks at them. Then the sheep decide he is not a pushover after all and they move! So we worked him in a small area moving the sheep off of the fence, then let him push the sheep into the big ring and the instructor told me to let him go! :dsshock:

He had a great time! He ran up to them and they split. He stopped and seemed to count, then went after the single sheep and brought him back to the group, then another split and again he brought it back. Once together he moved them to the corner and just held them, looking back at us and barking as if to say "I got them for you! Come on!" He even called off quite nicely! Boy he is so much easier to handle than my wild girl (but I wouldn't trade her for anything)! He didn't even THINK of going in for a chomp. :wtg:

So maybe we have another herder in the family after all! :cool:
Lauren from Western NC
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Thor goes Sheeping!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Good job, Thor! :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

What a great story! Made me smile (go Thor!)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

:wtg:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Very good!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

No pictures? :(
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

:wtg: that is so cool Thor - keep up the good work!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

vneerland wrote:No pictures? :(
Sadly, no. Can you believe it? But the grin on his face was amazing! :D
Lauren from Western NC
Olie
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Post by Olie »

Great job, Thor!
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Very cool!
Sue (and Sugar)