Pics of Xena and Thor herding.

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Pics of Xena and Thor herding.

Post by Lauren »

Here are a few pictures of our instructor working the Dutchies on 5 sheep running a JHD course. They are doing great!!!! :P
IMG_2587.jpg
IMG_2587.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
IMG_2586.jpg
IMG_2586.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
Xena at work.
Xena at work.
IMG_2584.jpg (76.34 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
And only one of Thor before the camera quit!
And only one of Thor before the camera quit!
IMG_2589.jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
Lauren from Western NC
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Re: Pics of Xena and Thor herding.

Post by feraloup »

*squeeeee!* Yay, Xena and Thor! :)

Thanks for sharing the photos, herding is something I'd like to try and get into after I've gotten Moko's obedience and social graces in more solid shape.

I'll be happy to hear any and all tales, and of course photos are always a hit, about how the herding training is going if you care to share about it!
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

It is so much fun!!! You will love it. Currently, I have only BAD trial experiences to tell, but hopefully that will change soon. :? Where are you located?

Thor got his first leg of HCT so far... Both can do JHD at our training place but then they go NUTS :shock: when they go to trials....

They do not work like a border collie and they are such a powerful presence that some sheep just freak when they see them. Even the great big German shepherd that we train with can not make the sheep move. She jumps, she lunges, she barks nonstop and they just stare at her :huh: (very "heavy" sheep) But if our guys walk up they fall in line. :D

The judges (and other competitors) are all so nice and encouraging and the old timers are trying to buy our bad, bad, dogs at the trial ;) . The last place I went the owner was warning me that this group of sheep would run me down if I opened the gate... But I said "Oh, no they won't" and opened it and Xena stepped up and the sheep said "Oh, My! Think we will just back up a bit" :whistle: He couldn't believe it. But he runs collies and shelties and they are not that pushy. Xena then proceeded to totally blow me off and run the sheep willy nilly for fun.

I love Dutchies' power and their instinct and the fact that the sheep will not talk back to them. You and Moko are going to have a blast! :wtg:
Lauren from Western NC
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

It does look like fun!

Lauren, you are so funny. I love how you tell stories!
Sue (and Sugar)