Any advice on training prior to herding?

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
kocela
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 32 year old. One husky/shepherd cross (Tessie). A new Dutch Shepherd puppy (Phoenix) and another Husky/shepherd cross (Logan) that is no longer with us.

Any advice on training prior to herding?

Post by kocela »

After obedience class with my local GS breeder/trainer we got to speaking about herding because he feels Pheonix would be great at it (one of his dogs does it). He informed me that we have a location nearby that offers it! Which is great I am really excited to give it a try in spring / summer.

Any advice from those of you that do or have done it as to any training I can do ahead of time that would help prepare for the herding lessons?
Pheonix - Dutch Shepherd
Tessie - GS Cross
Logan - Husky Shepherd Cross (Over the Bridge)
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: Any advice on training prior to herding?

Post by LyonsFamily »

Work on your off leash recall mainly. We're starting herding training with Elli. I'm hoping to get some sheep this year for the wool since we finally have acreage.

Make sure you find a trainer that's used to working with upright dogs. GSDs, mals, and DSs herd differently than border collies and australian shepherds.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA