Xena is going to try herding....

Participating in what the breed was originally bred for? This is where you want to be.
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Xena is going to try herding....

Post by Lauren »

After reading these 4 posts, I must say I am a little worried... BUT, Xena and I are going to a Herding clinic. It is open to dogs of all types and ages. It is all day on Nov. 19th and whoever shows up (usually about 20 dogs) rotate in and out of the ring.

The woman I spoke to was very encouraging. She had never heard of a Dutch Shepherd, but was excited to meet one. I figure for 30.00, it is not a bad way to spend a Saturday. :P they have, ducks, goat, sheep and cattle for all levels.... I will try to get hubby to take a video. :lol:
Lauren from Western NC
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Xena is going to try herding....

Post by Christie M »

Sounds like fun! Don 't worry too much about my horror story. It was a combination of a cocky person (the instructor) and me not having enough confidence to step in. Otherwise, I know Willow would have really enjoyed it!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Herding is fun for both of you!

I've let all my dogs try it. So far, my female Malinois is the best herder. Those bossy woman get the job done! I wish it wasn't so hard to find sheep, though. ;)
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

hope you have fun!
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

That does sound like fun :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

BEWARE!!! Herding is addicting! Seriously. When you watch a herder do what they were bred for initially, it is awesome. Have fun, I know you will! :dschick:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Well, she LOVED it! :D My little girl, who is forever being told, "No, don't chase that" or "OUT!", or "GET OFF THE CAT!" or "Leave the chickens ALONE!" was actually encouraged to chase and bite creatures. She had finally arrived at her idea of heaven. And the absolutely best part of the day was that she decided she liked dogs. ALL dogs (except that one giant female with the unfriendly glare)... But other than her, my normally reactive, hair up, growling lunging, barking nipping puppy decided that she liked them all. Wanted to play and hang out and meet and everything. ????? I don't know what happened but i am good with it! :wtg:
Here is her first look at sheep
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
, then she ran them and was encouraged for it by the instructor lady.
IMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg (95.34 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0778.jpg (92.7 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
She's giving them the eye!
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg (96.37 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
IMG_0780.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg (94.62 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
Ok, I have to say there is a new purpose on that face!
IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg (106.9 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
The sheep knew she meant business!
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
And this is what happens after a day of herding!!!! Bliss!
And this is what happens after a day of herding!!!! Bliss!
IMG_0795.jpg (50.69 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
Everyone was very encouraging and she was off the charts happy. Twice, she actually stuck her head through that little fence and bit a sheep. She pulled a mouthful of hair. :o The instructor said "Wonderful!!! Good girl! Usually it takes a ling time to get them to bite....." Hmmm, welcome to a Dutch Shepherd! :whistle: :dswink"
Lauren from Western NC
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

lol, congrats! She does look like she has new purpose! Xena was probably thinking yes, finally I get to bite something and get praise!! lol
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Looks like fun :dschick:
Sue (and Sugar)

Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

This is absolutely GREAT! Great pics, great story! She felt amongst her own with purpose and is happy.
I love the pic of the sheep. They surely do look like they know there's a Hollandse Herder around who means business :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thats fantastic!!!!! Great pictures, she is so beautiful .
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Great story!

(The picture of the sheep all looking your/her way made me think of Babe<g>)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

I'm wondering how much it was for the session, and how often the sessions would be if you continued to do it.
Thanks, Sue
Sue (and Sugar)

Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

Sue, It was $30.00 for the day (10.00 for a second dog). It started at 9:00 and went until 4:00. There were 3 rings going with instructors: Double ring (beginners like us), Round ring where dogs are on a long line working three sheep up close and the larger pasture with 6 sheep for more advanced of off-lead dogs. We only got rotated in 3 times (it depends on how many people of your level show up and I left around 2:30. Here is the link: http://www.possumhollowfarms.com/stockd ... m#TRAINING

Next time I will probably just take an hour private lesson for $45.00. But this time, it was so great that she decided she liked dogs!!!! The instructors were actually introducing their shy dogs to her because she was so friendly and sweet! The instructor said that at her age we should only train once a month or so, working up to once a week/every other week as an adult. She said it is not like training a horse where you do it everyday. She also said that she felt Xena should have no problem titleing and doing quite well at this sport (but then again I am PAYING her ;) )
Lauren from Western NC
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Thanks for the info. And its so nice to hear how well Xena is doing : )
Sue (and Sugar)

GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!!! Wasn't that fun!?!?! There really is an art to it sort of like a dance between the stock, the handler and the dog. For each action, there is a reaction. Reading stock by the handler while reading and instructing your dog at the same time will take some time but before you know it, you and the dog are like a fine machine running smoothly. So hang in there and please please post your progress and pictures!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

Thanks Guys. And Denise, It was great fun. She doesn't even look at the chickens the same way anymore. It was as if now she knew what that drive was for. Instead of chasing them she circles them, and lays down to survey her domain... :D We will definitely be back... and I am looking into ducks (Indian runners? Khacki Campbells???)
:player:
Lauren from Western NC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

that is so great!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage