Agility injuries?

ZodiacT
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I was introduced to the Dutch Shepherd breed during my time as an Army veterinary technician working with Military Working Dogs. I fell in love with the breed and by pure chance happened to meet a DS in a local rescue who was a police K9 washout and was up for adoption. We adopted Zodiac right away and she has been an important part of our family ever since. We currently compete in Rally-Obedience and participate in Agility.

Agility injuries?

Post by ZodiacT »

Zodiac and I have been doing Rally-O for about a year and a half now and, after a couple of titles and a bunch first place ribbons, we are starting to get bored with it. Our favorite trainer has an Agility class starting up soon so I'm planing to start Zodiac in that but I was curious from people who have done Agility for a while just how common injuries are and if anyone here has experienced Agility-related injuries with their dog?

Zodiac is in great health and the radiographs of her spine and joints are all normal so she does not have any known existing conditions that would be aggravated by the sport, I'm just an over-protective mom :lol:
Hayley St.Pierre-Thomas and Zodiac RL1-AOE, RL2-AOE, CGC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Agility injuries?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I did agility with Thalie and no injuries and didnt hear of any others in my group. Like any sport and athlete if they are in good shape and exercised regularly to keep the tendons and muscles in shape then over all you should be good to go. If you sit around all week then go run around, you are risking injury but having a DS you know that is usually not the case.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I think that it depends on how competitive you plan to be. Many people who compete at very high levels do experience stress related injuries, just like a marathon runner. Most of my hardcore friends have routine chiropractic appointments and make sure they stretch their dogs before working. It sorta funny, I don't know many people in the protection world who go through half of the precautions that the agility and flyball people do. And protection is a far more combative sport. Maybe we don't hear of as many minor issues in protection because people aren't looking for them.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
ZodiacT
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I was introduced to the Dutch Shepherd breed during my time as an Army veterinary technician working with Military Working Dogs. I fell in love with the breed and by pure chance happened to meet a DS in a local rescue who was a police K9 washout and was up for adoption. We adopted Zodiac right away and she has been an important part of our family ever since. We currently compete in Rally-Obedience and participate in Agility.

Post by ZodiacT »

Dutchringgirl wrote:If you sit around all week then go run around, you are risking injury but having a DS you know that is usually not the case.
I think Zodiac would go crazy if we didn't do some sort of activity each day :lol:
Christie M wrote: It sorta funny, I don't know many people in the protection world who go through half of the precautions that the agility and flyball people do.
I've noticed that too and thought it was odd. I hear a lot more about agility injuries than I do protection sport or MWD work-related injuries. I doubt we'll compete at very high levels so hopefully it won't be an issue for us.
Hayley St.Pierre-Thomas and Zodiac RL1-AOE, RL2-AOE, CGC
miloginger123
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Open minded single, looking for a male.

Post by miloginger123 »

Christie M wrote:I think that it depends on how competitive you plan to be. Many people who compete at very high levels do experience stress related injuries, just like a marathon runner. Most of my hardcore friends have routine chiropractic appointments and make sure they stretch their dogs before working. It sorta funny, I don't know many people in the protection world who go through half of the precautions that the agility and flyball people do. And protection is a far more combative sport. Maybe we don't hear of as many minor issues in protection because people aren't looking for them.
Correct!!!
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

The main injuries I see during class are from folks that constantly jump their dogs at their full jump heights. Elli jumps 20" in UKC and we'll do 1 or 2 courses per week at full height, and practice at 12" for all drills and the first few courses of the night. Doing handling drills and practicing crosses and various things can play a big toll on your dog, when most of it is just the handler needing to learn to move and direct properly. If the dog can get it at 12", it can get it at 20."

Christie is right though about the chiropractic care. Everyone at the facility I work/train at gets their dogs adjusted. I never have. You also might get some looks from having the wild child in the sport or a non-traditional breed (depending on where you train of course and the demographics). Elli turns into a bossy brat if she sees other dogs off course or hears long nails on the A-frame, so we do obedience to distract and tug off to the side and it keeps her calm and not bored. Tonight I was told I should give her holistic oils to help calm her drive haha.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA