Koenig's first playtime on agility equipment!

turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Koenig's first playtime on agility equipment!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Took Koenig to the beach today. That was fun. Decided that is was not ENOUGH fun though, so we headed out to a local farm that has an area you can use, indoor or outdoor, with equipment (So long as you can promise you know what you're doing enough not to hurt yourself, your dog, or the equipment) :)

This was Koenig's FIRST time on 'real' agility stuff. After 10 min of on leash work, he was happily tunneling, doing the tire, chute, dog walk, A frame, and pause table on request. (Naming each) He already knew WAIT means freeze and don't move, so getting the contacts was pretty easy for him. I didn't ask him to independently do the teeter, I stayed at his side, but he did GREAT. We used channel weaves, and I could send him into the weaves from 10' away, any angle by the end of the hour play-time.

I got silly looks from the owner of the facility when she heard me telling him to PLATZ on the pause table. :D

As with any new agility dog, our issue was distance work. He's so dang FAST he'd end up spinning circles waiting for me to catch up, or he'd just take off and go jump his own course. Silly dog. Once I get a handle on him from a distance, I just might have to get serious about agility with him. I know he'll have no trouble making time...lol.

I'm not sure that there is anything this dog CANNOT do. I was SO impressed! I'm going to try and make a point of getting out there at least 1x a week. It's great cross-training for him.
Kelly
Koenig
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Re: Koenig's first playtime on agility equipment!

Post by Marjolein »

wow, sounds like a clever little king! Always fun to learn new stuff!
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I was impressed. I've run agility before... but never have with Koenig, more then the Schutzhund jumps. (btw: people at the field were very confused by us practicing the retrieve over the jump) :) :-D

It may be something I've got to look into further with him. He had a blast. Literally. Blasted through/over the equipment.
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Sounds like a perfect doggie day to me :D . And, what a smart doggie!

(I'd think twice about doing SchH exercises on an agility field tho, if you want to keep the exercises separate and not at all confusing to him, given that context means so much to them...JMO of course :) )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

leih merigian wrote: (I'd think twice about doing SchH exercises on an agility field tho, if you want to keep the exercises separate and not at all confusing to him, given that context means so much to them...JMO of course :) )
See,I would be inclined to disagree with you. So many people rely on context for training. But if you are clear in your cues and clear in your interactions, you should be able to train your dog for every nuance, and proof that way too. As long as things stay motivational, the confusion just adds things to work through. However, when things get compulsive, that's where I see conflict.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

We are not nearly far enough along in agility skills to worry about confusion. I doubt he'll go out and bite someone on the agility course at this point. :ds: :)

I agree with Christie, it's a good cross training exercise I think.

BUT...you are still right Leih. It can be confusing for the dog. (In a GOOD way, IMO. Makes em think. Along with making me think!!)

At one point, after we had practiced the retrieve over the jump (for SchH), we went back to running fake courses. He'd get ahead of me(cause he's so dang FAST), I'd call his name to try and get him to look for direction to the next obstacle, and he'd slam on the brakes, flip around, and go back over the jump he just crossed. Silly pup. We got it worked out though. Rather then using his name, I needed to use WAIT. Simple handler error, like always! My dog never does anything wrong. It'll all me. :D
Kelly
Koenig
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Are you going to compete in agility with him Kelly?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Kelly, I wasn't thinking he'd bite someone :D . The backjumping tho...

I do get your point, Christie...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

k9katet wrote:Are you going to compete in agility with him Kelly?
I'm really not sure. I went out to the field with the plan of using the obstacles just as a training aid. Sometime fun to do. Not only exercise, but mental work as well. Now, that I see how much FUN he had (a dog enjoying agility, what a surprise..lol), and how quickly he caught on, I may have to consider competing with him. I'd prolly run CPE, AKC events can be soooo unwelcoming in our area. Especially with my striped Malinos. ;)

On that- has anyone sucessfully got a ILP/PAL for a DS using the Mal? I've heard rumor of it being done, but never met a person that had it in person. (or on an internet forum, hahah. I trust you guys though!) I know that with all the genetics, it's just a mess. (to me at least) :huh:

We were only there for a hour. By the end of the hour we were able to get 4-5 obstacles in a row, and he'd do a full set of 12 weaves with channel wires on. He was jumping at 16''-20'', so not at the size he'd compete at, but we were just goofing off. Contact zones were WAY better then I'd have ever hoped for, and boy oh boy does he fly across the dog walk!

He constantly amazes me at how fast he catches on to things. We learned Gib Laudt last week. Turned that into a decent Revier at training last Sunday. This week we've learned 'Hold' (for the retrieve) and it's less and less chewy every day. (We are using a dowel right now, will soon add whatever I can find to proof) :)
Kelly
Koenig
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".

Post by k9katet »

CPE is a great venue to start in. It's too bad that there are bad apples in the AKC group. I've been showing AKC obedience and agility with my guys the past few months and everyone has been super supportive and welcoming. It's just like being at any other venue.

Is Koenig neutered?
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

My old boss ran CPE and AKC agility up here with her Collie dog. I went to MANY trials with her, and even got to run her dog a few times! (She's now MACH2, and the youngest collie ever to MACH. Last I checked she was #1 or #2 in the nation- cool dog to run, but has NO speed compared with my brindled dude. Darnall's Yoshi Bear is her name- look out for her at the invitational!)

Yeah, he is neutered. :( He got to the rescue, was intact at that point, and the same afternoon the owner(of the rescue) dropped him off at the vet. I took him home the next day. I was SOOO close to being able to keep him intact. If I had thought about it in time, I would have told her not to worry about taking him/paying for it, I'd have my own personal vet do it once I brought him home.

He's no where near breeding quality, but I still would have liked to keep him intact. Oh well!
Kelly
Koenig
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

uhm, could anyone explain this for me, the Dutchgirl :oops:
has anyone sucessfully got a ILP/PAL for a DS using the Mal?
What is ILP/PAL?
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Marjolein wrote:uhm, could anyone explain this for me, the Dutchgirl :oops:
has anyone sucessfully got a ILP/PAL for a DS using the Mal?
What is ILP/PAL?
:) An ILP is an Indefinite Listing Privilege, and a PAL is a Purebred Alternative Listing. You can register your purebred, unregistered dog with the AKC if they fit the breed standard. They can compete in all AKC events except conformation once receiving a ILP, or PAL.

You used to have to get one of these, but now the AKC has added the 'canine partners' program specifically for mixed breeds.
Kelly
Koenig
k9katet
Training Dog

Post by k9katet »

Since he is neutered you could just register him with canine partners program. It's super easy to do online.
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 »

Madix is registered with a PAL number as a Mal on AKC
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Thanks for letting me know about Madix! I still have not decided if it's something I want to go for or not. My other trouble with a PAL for Koenig is that he's 80lbs, and 26'' at the shoulder. LOL. :whistle: He's maxing out the size range.
Kelly
Koenig
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

I would be inclined to do the companion animal option rather than the ILP/PAL. The fact the brindle is listed as an alternate color for malinois is ridiculous since we know that 2 fawns can not possible make a brindle. I would rather see them listed through companion so that it does not work against people trying to maintain them as 2 different breeds.

That being said, if you feel that Koenig is not breeding quality, he is probably much happier being neutered :-) Less distractions. And if the owner of that rescue allowed a dog (especially one that they felt was of a certain rare breed) leave her facility intact, then she would be extremely unethical. Very few people "take care of it" on their own....as you admitted said you probably wouldn't because you would rather have him intact. And most of those people are not as responsible as you. As a rescue, we get monthly inquiries from people looking for intact rescues so they can breed them with their AWESOME Dutch that they are SURE would carry the litter and create working dogs. LOL. That's my favorite.
Christie Meyer

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

You're right Christie, he's not breeding quality. He's got the mind, and physical capabilities up there with the best (frankly, he's the highest quality working dog I've been around in terms of drive and nerves), but he's FAR from a perfect DS in conformation. (I'd still LOVE to track down his breeder if anyone has any ideas- was told his birthdate is April 15 2009)
I'm used to containing intact dogs, and would have liked to keep him intact for the additional benefits it can bring a working dog. I'm happy with him having those hormones till a year though. Hopefully his growth plates closed by then!

I was not exactly a normal adopted from this rescue- I managed it for over 2 years. I kinda had dibbs on any animal that came through the gates. : :lol:

Our rescue also got inquries about intact animals. Generally (of course) it was the dogs that were guessed to be purebred. The next would have been pitty type dogs. Seems everyone has a need to own an intact pitt bull. Sigh. Of course EVERY DS that comes through your rescue MUST be working quality first of all, and conformationally correct enough to breed! The owners calling and making those inquries- you know they've got to have a quality animal if they are so desperate to breed. (inset extreme sarcasm here).

A few weeks ago I had a lady ask me if Koenig was a Mal. I did the normal 'No, he's a Dutch Shepherd' Speech, and she said "Oh, that'd be fine. My daughter has a 1 yr old Mal thats in heat right now, is he intact? They'd make pretty babies!' You're crazy lady. Even if he WAS intact (and registered), no way am I breeding him until he's titled and proven as a working dog, and to a unproven bitch, of a different breed, who is only1 YEAR OLD - heck no! Crazy people...
Kelly
Koenig
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

I think that we could create two additional threads.

1- Rescue horror stories. There is so much room there :-)

2 - Does altering a dog effect there workability? Maybe I will start that thread. I have mixed feelings. I know that many think that the level of testosterone effects the level of aggression. But others disagree. The Clinical Behavior recommendations are that neutering only effects intra-dog aggression. Not human related aggression. And some (obviously a certain sect of K9 handlers) feel that their neutered males are more focused on work and less focused on external influences.

Yeah - cross posting to another thread :-)
Christie Meyer

turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

GREAT idea!!
Kelly
Koenig