winter months

HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

winter months

Post by HeatherH »

Hi

I live in southern Ontario. Winter is coming a little earlier then expected. No snow but cold. We have a dog house in the yard, we noticed Dutch ( 4 months) does not use it. He just pulls stuff out into the yard. He's only outside during the day (8 hours). It's a day time high of 5 or 6. How do you train him to go into the dog house? How cold can you leave him out for?

In another month when he's a little more house trained (no accidents) I'd like to start leaving him in the kitchen while I'm out

Thx
Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: winter months

Post by alspyce »

I wouldn't leave the dog out in those temps, even with a dog house. I suggest a crate while you're out at work, or any time you can't supervise.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

alspyce wrote:I wouldn't leave the dog out in those temps, even with a dog house. I suggest a crate while you're out at work, or any time you can't supervise.
Agreed. 4 months is very young for him to be trying to sustain his body temperature. A crate inside will keep him warm and keep him from destroying everything in your yard when he gets board.

If outside in the dog house is his only option, I would look into a plastic heating mat that can be put in there to make it more pleasurable. Then feed and water only in the house so that he starts to see it as a pleasant place to be.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

I would also bring him into the house and start crate training ASAP! Don't wait till he's older and hope he'll be house trained by the time it gets cold. How is he going to get house trained when he's not in the house??? It's not some thing that just magically occurs with age, it needs to be actively trained.

I also would not be using a kitchen confinement as a puppy plan for a 5 month old Dutchie. Crate train him! It's a life saver in so many situations and applications and does speed up house training.
Choochi
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

I still need to know how to train him to use hie dog house. We have started leaving him in his crate when we're out. Started last night. I'm out now. He's in his crate. I feel better knowing he's more comfortable.

Thx
Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

HeatherH wrote:I still need to know how to train him to use hie dog house. We have started leaving him in his crate when we're out. Started last night. I'm out now. He's in his crate. I feel better knowing he's more comfortable.
If outside in the dog house is his only option, I would look into a plastic heating mat that can be put in there to make it more pleasurable. Then feed and water only in the house so that he starts to see it as a pleasant place to be.

Also, perhaps buy/rent the DVD "Crate Games." By teaching him skill sets in the dog house, you will be reinforcing that it is a pleasant place to be.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

this jerk is taking over the forum :o :lol:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
BrianNo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 2 yr old dutch shepherd and a 2 month old pug

Post by BrianNo »

I would n't let the dos outside during the winters. I live in Canada and here the winter is really hard and extreme. So once winter comes Max get's inside. And I would have done the same if he was a long haired dog.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

BrianNo wrote:I would n't let the dos outside during the winters. I live in Canada and here the winter is really hard and extreme. So once winter comes Max get's inside. And I would have done the same if he was a long haired dog.

Hi Brian, the post you replied to is about 4 years old.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage