Backcountry Skiing

utahbiker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 5 month old fawn male DS named Kaboose! He's my trail dog and cuddle buddy.

Backcountry Skiing

Post by utahbiker »

Has anyone here taking their DS backcountry skiing? I've seen some other dogs out there pouncing through the snow on some closer backcountry routes and I would love to take Kaboose out once he gets bigger. Maybe this winter!

Anyone use snow boots? Warming vests? Just looking for some suggestions as far as protection, warmth, and duration go.

Thanks!
Kaboose aka Nightmare
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Backcountry Skiing

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie used to come with me when I snow shoe'd. If it was cold she would have a jacket but I never did the boot thing. She would stay behind us in the tracks so it was packed down. i never had a problem with snow between her paws. The biggest problem was she would step on the back of our snow shoes !

Where are you located?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
utahbiker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 5 month old fawn male DS named Kaboose! He's my trail dog and cuddle buddy.

Post by utahbiker »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Where are you located?
I'm near Salt Lake City, Utah. So, we get plenty of snow. My thoughts are to bring him with me on days that don't have a lot of powder. I worry pow days would be too hard for him.

Good to hear about the jacket. How long do you stay out with your DS? Is 2 or 3 hours too much in your experience?
Kaboose aka Nightmare
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

When I biked we were out for at least 2-3 hours, some days more. We would stop though but she would go sniff somewhere. Powder should be ok, but if it gets icy then I would try boots. You would want to work him up though, but these dogs are built for it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
utahbiker
Just Whelped

Post by utahbiker »

That's what I like to hear! Thanks for the input, Dutchringgirl. Kaboose has done some shorter MTB rides with me already (an hour or less) and boy does that wear him out for the rest of the day :-)

Looking forward to the winter to see how he likes some backcountry skiing.
Kaboose aka Nightmare