I want a KNPV working line long haired DS

harrison
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just moved to a house on a cove in Maine. I want a KNPV working line longhaired DS as a pet.

I want a KNPV working line long haired DS

Post by harrison »

I know that this is not a common dog. Vandalia Kennels sometimes gets one of these pups; I don't know how frequent this is and am waiting to hear back. I would certainly be interested in the litter from Finland if it were not from so long ago.
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: I want a KNPV working line long haired DS

Post by karenz »

Hello. Welcome. Can you give us a little introduction? I couldn't find where you posted one. As for your question I cannot recommend a long hair ds breeder. I have a ds from Vandalia kennel who has long hair but is not a 100% long haired as far as FCI registered or as far as exactly to the long hair breed standard. He just has long hair compared to the typical short hair ds.
Karen & Xander
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I know of a working rough haired litter coming up.

For longhairs, you're probably going to need to look into one coming from working tervurens. They're not usually referred to as long hairs though, and the FCI longhaired breeders typically won't use them in their programs and don't consider them "pure". Jett from Land of Oz is a heavily used sire in the US producing some dogs with long hair. There's a dog on here, Riddick, that has longer hair and is from a Jett Son, I believe.

I'd start with this dog on pedigree database https://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dutch_ ... 733-winnie and work through offspring to locate the different kennels using dogs carrying on that line. As far as I know, she's behind most of the longer hair dogs in the US that aren't FCI longhairs.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I thought I would post a couple pics of Xander for you since you mentioned Vandalia. Xander is is Timo x Soco pup. Like I said, not a true certified long hair but definitely a fuzzy feller. I love the fuzzy.
Attachments
img20140804_192145.jpg
img20141027_090949.jpg
Karen & Xander
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

karenz wrote:I thought I would post a couple pics of Xander for you since you mentioned Vandalia. Xander is is Timo x Soco pup. Like I said, not a true certified long hair but definitely a fuzzy feller. I love the fuzzy.
Do you by chance have a link to a pedigree for Xander I just want to look at overlapping dogs and see how closely or not closely Xander is related to other fuzzy dogs I've seen and researched. I have no problem finding Timo, but I can't find Soco's side. I'll admit, I didn't try really hard after running into a website with screaming techno music while try to feed the dogs and forcing myself into a big head ache, but I'm still really curious.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

LyonsFamily wrote:Do you by chance have a link to a pedigree for Xander I just want to look at overlapping dogs and see how closely or not closely Xander is related to other fuzzy dogs
I didn't see Soco on the pedigree database either. I'm not sure why, I guess they just didn't add her. She is from Land of Oz Izzy and Paco VD Vastenow of Vandalia according to his papers. I'm pretty sure they are on the database.

I know I have looked up some of the names on his papers and seen a mixture of brindle and fawn and short hair and long hair. I don't know enough about the different lines for any of it to really mean anything to me.
Karen & Xander
vicken
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Working woman who got a DS to keep her out of the office. Good dog!! She does her job. She has gotten Mom into agility, schutzhund and carting, all in her first 18 months. Now what? You want me to throw Balls, again?!!

Post by vicken »

Ooooh, exciting. Your beautiful longish-haired dog, Xander, is a Timo pup! And almost silver? My Inti is a Timo daughter out of an "unknown" ie untitled bitch, first liter, but coming along very nicely and very classic conformation. Paco's original name was something else; he was bred in Finland I believe, but came from a Swedish breeder. Vandalia has been very happy with him, although the importer was not, and therefor got rid of him. I am planing to breed Inti to a Swedish dog (We are Swedish although live in California) in a year or so. I am happy that there might be a longer haired dog in the litter. I would love to have a silver DS, though, but not till I retire. I value temperament over other traits (ergo the plan for a Swedish breeder) and would be delighted to learn about the lines of dogs with silver.
There are quite a few long-haired DS in Sweden (better there than here with our 110 degree summers) and most of the Swedish breeders would consider export. The webpage there is http://www.rhh.se/
even without the language skills, you can look at the various pictures and contact the breeders, most speak English just fine.
These are the longhaired champions http://www.rhh.se/Langhars-Champions
and these are the longhair breeders kennels http://www.rhh.se/Resultat-2014
vicken & Inti
Learning together with Inti.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

A true long hair Dutch Shepherd would be among the FCI dogs but they aren't bred for the same reasons.
Last edited by Mark77 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joahgod
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Long haired Dutch Shepherd

Post by Joahgod »

karenz wrote: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:17 am I thought I would post a couple pics of Xander for you since you mentioned Vandalia. Xander is is Timo x Soco pup. Like I said, not a true certified long hair but definitely a fuzzy feller. I l

How do you know if you have a true long haired ds? Here's some pictures of mine. Her name is koda
Attachments
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG (739.92 KiB) Viewed 24055 times
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG (526.82 KiB) Viewed 24055 times
IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1971.JPG (921.57 KiB) Viewed 24055 times
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I might have info for Soco. I'll check this eve.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Just realized it's an OLD thread. Feel dumb...
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 pm Just realized it's an OLD thread. Feel dumb...
Lol. Every time I read an old thread and see the date that state dates from years ago I laugh at myself. I laugh because I read a lot of the responses and I wonder how I missed so much chatter. Most of it happened long before I came along.
You were kind Tim, to want to help.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG