Coat Changes

montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Coat Changes

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

has anyone else noticed their dutch's hair change over the years?

I was looking thru my pics seeing if I had any other decent ones I could offer for use on the board/facebook and got to looking at the few I have from when I first got Shylah

first of all she was skinnier then :lol: but also her hair just seemed... shorter, more trim... she has way more feathering under her belly and on her britches now days... which has the added effect of making her LOOK fatter

maybe just because she's been fed a healthier diet since I got her? we don't know much of her history before us, but she certainly didn't come from a nice home, I doubt someone abusive would care enough to give their dogs good food
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Coat Changes

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

When H's nutrition is dialed in, his coat gets rrreeeeaaaallll soft and shiny and thicker. Seems a bit longer too, but I don't really measure it. When he's on kibble his fur feels coarse and stiff, and a little shorter? If you can tell shortness via touch? Lol. But it is definitely... Fuller when he's on food that works for him.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

noticed just this week that demons coat has gotten much much softer and less "greasy" than ever before. it could be that hes just finished his first moult since he was neutered as his his diet hasnt really changed at all, hes always felt like petting a rough wire brush since he was a little sausage puppy so its a pleasant surprise:)
for koda her hair has definitely changed with age, she has longer hair feathering all the way down the back of her front and hind legs that she never had before she turned about 4.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

YES! the food makes a big difference and I add coconut oil too so they are super soft. When they were younger, their tails were really wiry too but as they got older, their tails smoothed out. They have more butt feathers too as they got older. Now that Thalie is 14, her coat stays thick so in the summer, she is not happy
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

I feed coconut oil too... but that's only been for the last year or so...

forgive me, I'm gonna spam some pictures... they're not that clear, since I was never trying to get a picture to showcase her coat... posted in chronological order...

Oct '12: crappy photo but this was literally the day I brought her home, she looks so skinny and tiny! lol

early 2013
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

she's got way more feathering. it just seems longer, all over... it's thicker around her neck now and her tail is bushy...
she always looks fat, but when you feel for her ribs, she's really not.. she's just... fluffy
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

she is beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog

thank you :)