Is this guy a DS mix or Great Dane mix?

suchus
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Had a DS mix. He passed away from a nasal tumor at 13 years. He was the most amazing animal. So intuitive. Looking to adopt another young DS mix.

Is this guy a DS mix or Great Dane mix?

Post by suchus »

at 4months when rescued
at 4months when rescued
4monthsrescued2.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 7389 times
I am considering rescuing this guy, but the photo at 4 months when he was rescued look much more "shepherdy". Now he looks more like a DS/Dane mix. I would really appreciate any thoughts. The woman who is fostering him thinks he will be huge. He was very emaciated when he was rescued. The fact that his ears have now flopped is interesting...
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
10 days ago at 5 months
10 days ago at 5 months
5months.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 7389 times
Evon
Selena
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Selena van Leeuwen, 35 yo, married to Dick. We have 2 children, a boy just turned 3 and a girl who will be 2 in may. We breed xHH, we developed our own bloodline with in mind how a PSD should be in our eyes.

Re: Is this guy a DS mix or Great Dane mix?

Post by Selena »

Ears dropping when teething is not strange. He's cute
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

he is adorable !!! ear flopping is fine. Sadies went up and down for months before they finnaly stood up. Not sure about GD though, thats a HUGE dog, he seems a normal size to me but better hear it from the pro's on here.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
suchus
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Had a DS mix. He passed away from a nasal tumor at 13 years. He was the most amazing animal. So intuitive. Looking to adopt another young DS mix.

Post by suchus »

Thanks for your thoughts. She said he was really tall. We would be getting him without meeting him, so I am trying to feel out how big he might be. His muzzle looks a bit like it is broadening which is why I thought Dane. Our beloved Travis passed recently and we miss having a dog and we love mutts. I don't want to rush, but I don't want anything bad to happen to this little (big) guy either. Here's a picture of Travis last year. He looked a bit like a pit as a puppy, but softer.
Attachments
rubytravFlowersSm.jpg
rubytravFlowersSm.jpg (248.66 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
Evon
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Welcome to the forum. Would you mind posting a short intro about yourself in the new member section?
You can also create a signature there, so you don't have to remember to sign your name every time. ;)

I see no Dane indication in the pictures that you posted. Nor do I see a huge pup, but that could be because I am looking at only some pictures of him laying down. He will be a good size dog, but from these pictures, I doubt more than 70 lbs. Cute pup. I hope you decide to take the gamble and let him try to fill Travis' paws. (Travis and your daughter ? look lovely, BTW)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

I saw an ad on the local online classifieds that had a Moma dog looking like a DS but she is a GSD and Pittie mix and was surprised by how much I thought she looked like a DS.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... e_18284944

Your pics look like your guy is the right size for a DS. I guess with rescue, you really never can know for sure what your getting.

He looks pretty cute tho!
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you never know with a rescue but the one thing you will know, is you will give him a great home. Sadie had big paws and just kept growing ! She is 70lbs and all leg. Its hard to tell when you dont know the parents.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Based on the first pic, looks like a DS. When they grow they are going through so many changes, it is tough to judge what they will look like when grown up.
I think he is already "yours", no matter what he turns out to be. :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
suchus
Just Whelped

Post by suchus »

Thanks everyone. We are waiting to see if they will approve us since it is a long distance adoption. Here is a picture from when they received him. Soooo skinny..
Attachments
4monthsrescued.jpg
4monthsrescued.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Evon
jjohnsice
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: jsut lost my maggie p of 14 yrs, never knew what breed she was until someone on a degenerative mylthopia noticed her pics and told me what she was. the most loyal, intelligent, athleic, loving dog a person could ever ask for.

Post by jjohnsice »

He looks like a perfect dog..... Looks focused, charming, sweet and fast to me.. I say if he is only part dutch me has all the traits you are looking for.
john h
the departed maggie p
katm4110
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Post by katm4110 »

What a beautiful dog, I don't know much about dutchies or dogs in general but he doesn't look like a GD to me. His coloring and markings look a lot like my Stella! (Her photographs are in the picture forum) She is a rescue as well and we absolutely LOVE her.... Some have said she is full DS some say DS mixed with malinois or GSD.... either way she has all the DS qualities I have read about..... I hope you are able to adopt him!!!
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
suchus
Just Whelped

Post by suchus »

Hi everyone, randolph ended up going to another family. I am bummed but can be patient. Lookinh fir a younf male ds mix. Thank you all for your kind thoughts. He is a beautiful pup abd will make his new family very happy i am sure.
Evon
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Sorry that you were not able to keep him, but we do welcome your presence and input.
Please create that signature with your name so we can remember who we are talking to.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown