Dutch Shepherd for Adoption Southern Oregon

bjreed
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I volunteer at a shelter that currently has a dutch shepherd for adoption. I'd like to post info about her.

Dutch Shepherd for Adoption Southern Oregon

Post by bjreed »

An update about Irish written by Irish's part time foster mom. Irish is a young spayed Dutch Shepherd with great potential for many dog sports!

IRISH IS DOING PHENOMENAL WORK IMPROVING HER SOCIALIZATION SKILLS. SHE IS NOW A DOG WHO SHOULD BE WITH A HOME WITH AT LEAST ONE OTHER DOG. SHE IS MUCH CALMER WHEN LEFT ALONE AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYS THEIR COMPANY. A NONDOMINANT FEMALE HAS BEEN TESTED AND PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS. NO RESOURCE GUARDING WHATSOEVER UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES. As you may recall, Irish is a spayed female Dutch Shepherd, under 2 years old. True to her breed, she is independent but loyal. She enjoys patrolling acreage and keeping the goats and chickens in their place. She still requires caution with small animals until truly trustworthy with her new guardian, as she is fast. If you have the acreage and some time to work with her while you work out in your field or ranch, then she settles quite nicely. She sleeps well at night in the house. Also, she is ADVANCING IN agility quickly. She is not a dog for a novice guardian, and most definitely not a city dog, unless you put the time into her. She absolutely requires a minimum of 2 hours of solid work per day which can include patrolling acreage. She WILL get the job done once she learns what exactly that job is, however, she is not one you would have to coax to herd, which is true to her breed. I believe also, that she would be good with larger livestock herding as she is fearless. She is not a big barker at all, but does alert when someone comes to the house. She bonds very quickly, particularly with one who understands her needs. She likes to play ball, but is not obsessed. This dog's work ethic is unsurpassed. I have briefly fostered this extraordinary animal.
I would be happy to aid in the home transition if you are in the county or close by. Thank you for your interest in adoption.

Please call Jackson County Animal Shelter 541-774-6654 or
Lisa Frost 541-552-0378 (email lisafrost45@yahoo.com )
Ask about IRISH.

Petfinder page: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23110643 (with pics and video)

Craigslist posting with add’l pics: http://medford.craigslist.org/pet/3354907636.html

Youtube video of Irish playing with another dog at the shelter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd6GnQIHWuc&feature=plcp
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: Dutch Shepherd for Adoption Southern Oregon

Post by LyonsFamily »

If only it was 3 months later when I'll have the acreage to start looking for another Dutch. She sounds like a great dog and a good representative of the breed.

Do you know what she's mixed with? She looks pretty on with the Dutch Shepherd description, just a little stockier and short. It could just be the pictures too.

Have you contacted North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue? They may have approved adopters in the area, or at least allow you to courtesy post on their webite/facebook.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Re: Dutch Shepherd for Adoption Southern Oregon

Post by cake73 »

I have seen Irish courtesy posted on the NADSR Facebook page.
Hope she finds a home soon!
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue