1yr Dutch Shepherd female at SF SPCA

Black Mal
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!

I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure.

1yr Dutch Shepherd female at SF SPCA

Post by Black Mal »

Hi- it's been a little bit. This boy of mine takes up my time. However I recently went to check this dog out, real sweetheart. She has been returned twice, last family complained she could get up on the counter- but a crate is cruel right?

You can see her on their site- "Bella."
Kat

Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: 1yr Dutch Shepherd female at SF SPCA

Post by vneerland »

Black Mal wrote:Hi- it's been a little bit. This boy of mine takes up my time. However I recently went to check this dog out, real sweetheart. She has been returned twice, last family complained she could get up on the counter- but a crate is cruel right?

You can see her on their site- "Bella."

Link?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Black Mal
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!

I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure.

Post by Black Mal »

Kat

Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Aztechalo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.

Post by Aztechalo »

I just saw her and headed directly here to post about her. My sister in law cruises the local animal rescue sites in search of various types of animals that she can encourage others to adopt. It's her alternative to being an animal hoarder :lol: I would go look at that pretty girl in SF but she's not cat friendly. I believe that shelter is a no kill shelter, in which case I'm not worried. However, if someone is interested and needs some help picking her up, let me know. I have very little to do this weekend.
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

How wonderful that the two or you, independently of each other, have already spotted this girl! I hope she finds her way into a loving home soon. Thanks for caring. :wtg:
Black Mal
Just Whelped

Post by Black Mal »

My impression was a sweet dog that preferred dry biscuits over chasing a ball and smart and curious. I thought of my boy in a kennel with so much change going on he'd be euthanized for sure. She seemed pretty relaxed, made me laugh when she nipped at my pant leg when we left without her. I told a sweet couple about her today....maybe that can be her home.
Kat

Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

I usually tape the world news and yesterday, the tape was started early and caught Oprah. Her episose was animals, one section was about the Fort Worth shelter. 23000 dogs that went through PER YEAR and out of 50 per day, only 4 got adopted the rest, perfectly healthy dogs, were euthanised. It broke my heart. Unless rescue groups step up, most dogs are doomed. Seeing dogs, wagging their way into the euthanasia room is just rough, to say the least. I know we have a DS rescue, but I suspect that even here, many dogs do not get that chance of a new life. I have alerted to several dogs out there somewhere and not heard back :eek: I want to assume that is because the problem was already being taken care of. Yet I am not sure if the reason was not because there is not enough room in foster care. :cry:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote:I usually tape the world news and yesterday, the tape was started early and caught Oprah. Her episose was animals, one section was about the Fort Worth shelter. 23000 dogs that went through PER YEAR and out of 50 per day, only 4 got adopted the rest, perfectly healthy dogs, were euthanised. It broke my heart. Unless rescue groups step up, most dogs are doomed. Seeing dogs, wagging their way into the euthanasia room is just rough, to say the least. I know we have a DS rescue, but I suspect that even here, many dogs do not get that chance of a new life. I have alerted to several dogs out there somewhere and not heard back :eek: I want to assume that is because the problem was already being taken care of. Yet I am not sure if the reason was not because there is not enough room in foster care. :cry:
It is mostly a foster care issue - well that and the extremely irresponsible people that are now intrigued with the breed and keep making them.

I think there is MUCH more to the solution than rescue organizations just stepping up. Every rescue organization is made up of individuals - people who love dogs. BUT, the fosters, the ones who save the lives, make huge personal sacrifices to do so. I choose to stress out my dogs and my family. I choose to spend more time on rescue than work or personal relationships. I choose to constantly rotate animals in my home because one doesn't get along with another. I choose to spend personal time, money and energy feeding, cleaning and attempting to educate those who would prefer to stay ignorant.

Currently I have 5 foster dogs (one got adopted yesterday YAY - so that made six). Matt and also have 7 dogs of our own, 2 cats and 2 horses.

It is true that those that are involved in rescue aren't always the most communicative - and I suppose that I am one of the worst. But the reality is I already spend hours per day calling shelters, potential adopters, people giving up dogs...that I don't always take the extra 5 minutes to contact everyone who has contacted me to point out a potential dog. There are multiple people everyday doing that. I do appreciate having dogs pointed out - and we do follow up on everyone of them. Sometimes the best we can do is offer courtesy post and our contact information....knowing the dog will get put down in just a few days.

The only way for rescue to be more effective is for more people to get involved in the daily work of saving dogs. More people need to open their homes to fosters. Yes - I KNOW it is not possible for all of the reasons that people want to explain to me. But those same people are the ones tell me why I should. Its the same headache and sacrifice for me.

It would be great to have one person to over see each state - instead of 3 people handling the entire country. When we started this, if we got 6 dogs a year it was a big deal. Now we hear about 6 dogs a week.

I know that I become extremely defensive. But my biggest pet peeve is people who talk about what rescue should do, but who are doing nothing themselves. I promise this isn't directed at you Judith, I know you would help if something came up in your area. But there are far more people out there telling us what we should be doing and what we are doing wrong, and far too few who have a clue how much we actually accomplish. My answer has become the same to everyone: if you think a dog is worth saving, if you think something MUST be done - then please put a damn crate in your garage and go get it. Don't ask me, or anyone else in rescue to do something that you would not/could not. That being said, chances are we are working on it......
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Black Mal
Just Whelped

Post by Black Mal »

If I offended anyone that was surely not my intent. I just thought I'd let this forum know about her- I am not on any soapbox preaching what one person should or shouldn't do. That's why I have dogs- ;).
Kat

Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

Black Mal wrote:If I offended anyone that was surely not my intent. I just thought I'd let this forum know about her- I am not on any soapbox preaching what one person should or shouldn't do. That's why I have dogs- ;).
Sorry - it wasn't offensive at all. As I said, I do appreciate people pointing out the dogs when they are found.

I just get on a soap box regularly - and it has been a really crappy rescue week :-(
Christie Meyer

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

You bet Christie. Talk is always cheap. There are too many Monday morning quarterbacks, in rescue as well as in every other aspect of life.
But I am sure that you do realize that this is a huge country. And if a dog in Miami comes floating up, on deathrow and about to be put to sleep the next day, surely you understand that loading up a crate somewhere in Texas or Louisiana will not do the trick anymore. Physically impossible. It is the network that needs to save the dogs. And I also understand that not everyone can foster. (I can, and will, and you know that) Nor are many well meaning souls willing to risk pulling a dog without the okay from the rescue, fearing that they will indeed be stuck with the dog. (and maybe unwilling or unable to write the check for the adoption fee, who knows?) And so I think that you are right in your sentiment that there is a lot of comment, and not enough action. But maybe better communication would fix a lot of confusion. Possibly appoint a PR person who's only job it is to post 'current projects', a place where everyone can see what is and what is not on the radar at that time.
If there is room for improvement in the work section, there may be room for improvement from the side of rescue too. :oops: Not every brindle can or should be saved. But to lose deserving dogs simply because the network fails? Good God, no. That is not acceptable. :(

I have seen (on another forum) that there are online maps available, where people can post their location.
What about creating that for our forum so that there is a visual about who is in what area? It would be a lot easier to approach people for help if you knew who was 'close'. Naturally, members always have a right to refuse help, but I think rescue may be missing the chance to use members who are both willing and able to contribute even in a small way, but who are under the radar.
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote:You bet Christie. Talk is always cheap. There are too many Monday morning quarterbacks, in rescue as well as in every other aspect of life.
But I am sure that you do realize that this is a huge country. And if a dog in Miami comes floating up, on deathrow and about to be put to sleep the next day, surely you understand that loading up a crate somewhere in Texas or Louisiana will not do the trick anymore. Physically impossible. It is the network that needs to save the dogs. And I also understand that not everyone can foster. (I can, and will, and you know that) Nor are many well meaning souls willing to risk pulling a dog without the okay from the rescue, fearing that they will indeed be stuck with the dog. (and maybe unwilling or unable to write the check for the adoption fee, who knows?) And so I think that you are right in your sentiment that there is a lot of comment, and not enough action. But maybe better communication would fix a lot of confusion. Possibly appoint a PR person who's only job it is to post 'current projects', a place where everyone can see what is and what is not on the radar at that time.
If there is room for improvement in the work section, there may be room for improvement from the side of rescue too. :oops: Not every brindle can or should be saved. But to lose deserving dogs simply because the network fails? Good God, no. That is not acceptable. :(

I have seen (on another forum) that there are online maps available, where people can post their location.
What about creating that for our forum so that there is a visual about who is in what area? It would be a lot easier to approach people for help if you knew who was 'close'. Naturally, members always have a right to refuse help, but I think rescue may be missing the chance to use members who are both willing and able to contribute even in a small way, but who are under the radar.

Awesome ideas. I will ask every one from the BOD to check this out and see if we can't implement some.

As far as creating positions and ways for people to help - we post once a year to the Yahoo groups (and will now too here since it exists) asking for assistance. Every single person who replies is asked how they want to help and we try to include them in a very big way - if they are willing. However, we get very few people that step up. Some work one project and then are done. The ones who stick around are at their maximum capacity. So I don't think its that we aren't utilizing people - no one is truly volunteering.
Christie Meyer

Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote:Possibly appoint a PR person who's only job it is to post 'current projects', a place where everyone can see what is and what is not on the radar at that time.
Wait, wait, wait. Did anyone read that the way I did??? :D Is Judith offering to be the NADSR PR person??? I am so wanting to read that between the lines.
Christie Meyer

vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Christie M wrote:Wait, wait, wait. Did anyone read that the way I did??? :D Is Judith offering to be the NADSR PR person??? I am so wanting to read that between the lines.
:eek: NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo She is NOT offering that. :yernuts:
:mrgreen: My communication skills suck. I don't speak English. Am computer illiterate. Have the worlds slowest computer on the worlds most archaic dial up.
But there is a friendly, social, outgoing person out there with good internet access (see? That disqualifies me already!) that would be great for that!
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote: But there is a friendly, social, outgoing person out there with good internet access (see? That disqualifies me already!) that would be great for that!
Our search has been exhaustive, but if you find him/her - then please point hem in our directions for work!!! I promise that we never turn away an offer :-D
Christie Meyer

FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 »

Christie M wrote:
vneerland wrote: But there is a friendly, social, outgoing person out there with good internet access (see? That disqualifies me already!) that would be great for that!
Our search has been exhaustive, but if you find him/her - then please point hem in our directions for work!!! I promise that we never turn away an offer :-D
What kinds of things would this person need to be able to do? Also, where is the place to say that we want/can help? I have done one transport and I'm very willing to do another if needed. I could also find a place for an extra dog for a short stay if absolutely needed...
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

FG167 wrote:
Christie M wrote:
What kinds of things would this person need to be able to do? Also, where is the place to say that we want/can help? I have done one transport and I'm very willing to do another if needed. I could also find a place for an extra dog for a short stay if absolutely needed...

I would think a PR person would be the email coordinator. They would need to post information to the various groups, forums and facebook page. Most importantly, they would need to follow-up with each and every person who contacts NADSR. Currently, we all do our own PR work and I can say that apparently I do a lousy job (although I THOUGHT I was doing much better).

Don't worry about being "official" as a volunteer. You already are. You are my SW MI contact and I promise to continue to take merciless advantage of you. :lol:
Christie Meyer

FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 »

Christie M wrote:Don't worry about being "official" as a volunteer. You already are. You are my SW MI contact and I promise to continue to take merciless advantage of you. :lol:
Oh good, glad to hear it! :D