Need help with a rescue and breed guesses.

Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Need help with a rescue and breed guesses.

Post by Mobil »

She had the rapid test today and her blood was sent to the lab so they can determine worm and larval load. She isn't eligible for the slow-kill method because heartworms in Louisiana are ivermectin resistant, so she'll need to be boarded at the vet for treatment.

Her activity level is going to depend on her worm load.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Post by Owly »

So I'm late. but wow. Pretty girl! it blows that she tested positive, but I'm not surprised at aaaall. More than 80% of the dogs in Louisiana test positive for HW, or something like that according to a Frontline rep. Supposedly the Katrina incident is what led to so many outbreaks of HW+ dogs across the nation and why it's so widespread now(even more so than it was before). Me and your new pooch at least have something in common! We're both from the bayou ;)
Owly, Ohio.
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Owly wrote:So I'm late. but wow. Pretty girl! it blows that she tested positive, but I'm not surprised at aaaall. More than 80% of the dogs in Louisiana test positive for HW, or something like that according to a Frontline rep. Supposedly the Katrina incident is what led to so many outbreaks of HW+ dogs across the nation and why it's so widespread now(even more so than it was before). Me and your new pooch at least have something in common! We're both from the bayou ;)
Oh, I'm not terribly surprised, but I was hoping that her previous owners had at least started or kept up with HW prevention. Plus she's not symptomatic, so hopefully her worm burden is low. She's pretty young, not much past a year.

I gave her an oatmeal bath today to give her a little relief from the itching. She's pretty skinny; her ribs are way too visible. Fortunately she's a really good eater and she's been wormed so she should start gaining a bit.

Last edited by Mobil on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Wow she is skinny! At least she's in good hands now.

If the oatmeal doesn't help, and hopefully it does, try the Zymox shampoo. I use it on H when he's having bad allergies and itching himself into next week and works like a charm. Trick is to let it sit as long as you can. A little goes a long way as long as you work it into the fur - which means extra massage time and H loves it. If you use too much washing it all out can be annoying.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Zymox
How have I never heard of this??

The vet said I could put 1% cortisone cream on her itchy spots, but only what could be covered by the shirt so she couldn't lick it off. I'm going to get some of the zymox ointment or maybe the spray, nothing is near me in retail stores, but I've got Amazon prime, so I can have it here pretty quickly if they've got it.

Thank you SO MUCH for mentioning this! Both of her elbows are hairless and scabby, and she's shredding her nipples scratching so much. I'm giving her Benadryl which helps, but between doses where it's wearing off, she's miserable.
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

I have almost the whole line of Zymox I love it so much. H licks the ointment off like candy but the spray is wonderful as it dries super fast. Love the shampoo as added relief. You can also try tea tree oil for any spots that are not super raw or developing areas - I use Vet's best hot spot foam that seems to help for a few hours. H is a lick granuloma/itchy King so I have a whole cabinet for his itches...
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

I ordered the shampoo and the cortisone spray; hopefully this will help her feel better.

I think I mentioned before that my daughter is a vet tech; the owner of one of her dog patients donated a giant cooler full of prepackaged frozen raw food that she discovered her dog couldn't have because of allergies, and none of the other techs wanted it, so she divided it between herself and me. I've been giving it to my guys as treats once a week. I gave her a piece of it this morning, frozen, and she was beside herself with greed and happiness. She loves a meat popsicle.
Dusty,

Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Labs came back today, her worm load is low, thank God. One treatment should take of it, so she goes in Monday and she'll be back Wednesday.

I took her up to the park to dog around a little today since I know she's going to be on limited exercise once she's given the HW meds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqH59od ... e=youtu.be
Dusty,

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Hahaha. I love the belly rub portion of the video. That look on her face when she's sticking her tongue out is to funny.
Karen & Xander
Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Post by Owly »

She's certainly going to be enjoying life from here on out!
Owly, Ohio.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Mobil wrote:
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Zymox
How have I never heard of this??

The vet said I could put 1% cortisone cream on her itchy spots, but only what could be covered by the shirt so she couldn't lick it off. I'm going to get some of the zymox ointment or maybe the spray, nothing is near me in retail stores, but I've got Amazon prime, so I can have it here pretty quickly if they've got it.

Thank you SO MUCH for mentioning this! Both of her elbows are hairless and scabby, and she's shredding her nipples scratching so much. I'm giving her Benadryl which helps, but between doses where it's wearing off, she's miserable.
I loooovvvveee Zymox. The conditioner can also be diluted into a spray or a lotion. I do the shampoo and conditioner in my salon and then spray the dog before going home as an add on and it's the only thing I wash my dogs in now.

If you want to try it out with her and are willing to make the drive to my salon Lapeer, I'll give her free grooms to see if it helps. I can send you home with some of the conditioner to use as a lotion and spray too.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

LyonsFamily wrote:If you want to try it out with her and are willing to make the drive to my salon Lapeer, I'll give her free grooms to see if it helps. I can send you home with some of the conditioner to use as a lotion and spray too.
How very nice. :)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

LyonsFamily wrote:
I loooovvvveee Zymox. The conditioner can also be diluted into a spray or a lotion. I do the shampoo and conditioner in my salon and then spray the dog before going home as an add on and it's the only thing I wash my dogs in now.

If you want to try it out with her and are willing to make the drive to my salon Lapeer, I'll give her free grooms to see if it helps. I can send you home with some of the conditioner to use as a lotion and spray too.
Dang, Steph, thank you, that's really nice!

She came home last night from her heartworm treatment, though, so she's on strict crate rest for a month, no excitement allowed. Or I'd totally take you up on that just to get to meet you! :g_wink:

She's put on a couple pounds! :wtg:
2 pounds.jpg
Dusty,

LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Mobil wrote:
LyonsFamily wrote:

Dang, Steph, thank you, that's really nice!

She came home last night from her heartworm treatment, though, so she's on strict crate rest for a month, no excitement allowed. Or I'd totally take you up on that just to get to meet you! :g_wink:

She's put on a couple pounds! :wtg:
2 pounds.jpg
Maybe when she's feeling better and you decide to keep her :wtg: :player: :pint:
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

LyonsFamily wrote:
Maybe when she's feeling better and you decide to keep her :wtg: :player: :pint:
Funny you should say that...

*whistling*
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

She's totally your's now!!! lol.

Did you get a chance to introduce her to Mobile and Turbo before the heart worm treatment?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:She's totally your's now!!! lol.

Did you get a chance to introduce her to Mobile and Turbo before the heart worm treatment?
No, she's still contagious from the mange. We have to wait another two weeks for introductions.

She's not liking the confinement. I keep rotating the dogs so she can be outside more and I taught her how to use the treat ball. And I've been playing find-it games for her. She chewed up part of the bathroom tile.
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Durh - that's right. I remember now!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Last night she had her first case of the zoomies. When we came inside after dinner/meds/pooping, she took off, yanked the leash out off my hands, dashed upstairs, jumped on DS in bed and grabbed a stuffed animal from the bed, threw it in the air, pounced on it, then rolled over two times and play bowed at me.

I am now questioning the low drive. LOL I'm thinking the heartworms knocked it out of her a bit.
Dusty,