Need help with a rescue and breed guesses.

Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Need help with a rescue and breed guesses.

Post by Mobil »

So, I'm insane, let's get that out of the way.
An online acquaintance has a dog that her neighbors have abandoned. Dog's been left to roam and eat garbage, and showed up at her house looking skinny, so she fed her and brought her back to the neighbors', who promptly denied that it was their dog. She can't keep the dog because she has dogs and cats and horses already and a baby on the way and it's just too much right now.

My dad is looking for a dog but can't take her right now so I'm going to keep her until he can. They think it's maybe a GSD, but I asked some people I know in the Dutch shepherd communities on FB (DS/Mal rescue and a Mal/DS/GSD breeder) and they are guessing Mal, MalX (maybe MalxGSD), possibly even MalxDutch. So I'm wondering what you all think.

I may have access to video of her later; if I get one I'll post that, too.

Also!
Tips for introducing her to my dogs? Neutral ground first? For how long? I've never had 3 dogs at a time before.
She'll be coming to Michigan from Louisiana via donated transport, just over 900 miles, I'll be picking her up in Ft Wayne, IN. Any special care needed after such a long trip? It's probably going to happen this weekend, so vetting won't happen until Monday at the earliest.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Need help with a rescue and breed guesses.

Post by Mobil »

P.S. This dog is LOW drive. As you can see from the pic, she doesn't give a shit about a cat or little dogs. Is content to hang out, loves little kids and playing with horses, allows cats to snuggle up to her. She is likely 12-18 months old going by acquainance's recollection of when neighbors obtained her as a puppy.
Dusty,

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

GSD X DS or Mal?? glad she is low drive !!! and by the way.................. YOUR NUTS! :eek: :eek:

Glad she found you though, she will have a good home now.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Dutchringgirl wrote:GSD X DS or Mal?? glad she is low drive !!! and by the way.................. YOUR NUTS! :eek: :eek:

Glad she found you though, she will have a good home now.
Temporary insanity. LOL. If she doesn't click with my dad, my daughter wants to fight me for her. :lol:
Dusty,

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HAHAHAHA, Im sure she will be fine.
ImageImage
NewlyDutched
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Amira, human of Serafina (angel of destruction) Mal/GS and just welcomed home Bruno my first Dutchie!

Post by NewlyDutched »

She looks a lot like my Mal/gsd. Mine is 3/4 Mal. Backyard breeder couldn't sell all the pups and dumped the last two at a rescue where I got her.
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

NewlyDutched wrote:She looks a lot like my Mal/gsd. Mine is 3/4 Mal. Backyard breeder couldn't sell all the pups and dumped the last two at a rescue where I got her.
How do you know she is 3/4 Mal?

Bonus pic:

Dusty,

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HA, a mini dS in the back !!
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Dutchringgirl wrote:HA, a mini dS in the back !!
HAHAHA That was my immediate thought at first glance, too! Then I saw it was a French Bulldog, which I don't care for the look of usually, but looks pretty good in brindle!

The lady sent me a short video of her, it's here. Her tail is insane.

https://youtu.be/C6PCcX0-S78
Dusty,

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oh what a sweetie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImage
NewlyDutched
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Amira, human of Serafina (angel of destruction) Mal/GS and just welcomed home Bruno my first Dutchie!

Post by NewlyDutched »

Mobil wrote:
NewlyDutched wrote:She looks a lot like my Mal/gsd. Mine is 3/4 Mal. Backyard breeder couldn't sell all the pups and dumped the last two at a rescue where I got her.
How do you know she is 3/4 Mal?

Bonus pic:

I don't know for sure but that is what the breeder told the rescue. Dad was a Mal mom was a Mal/GSD. She looks a lot like the OPs dog

NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

Though watching the video I see a lot more GSD. Pretty girl.
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Ermahgerd.

Beautiful dogs!
Dusty,

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mobil wrote:my daughter wants to fight me for her
Don't make me come over there and slap you, woman.

Who's French bulldog was that again? I LOVE their looks.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Raven wrote:
Mobil wrote:my daughter wants to fight me for her
Don't make me come over there and slap you, woman.

Who's French bulldog was that again? I LOVE their looks.
:lol: Yes, ma'am. Frenchie belongs to the lady sending the dog. She has 3 dogs.
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I see some mal, some pit, and some GSD... just something in the fact that isn't screaming GSD (more pit-ish but pics are notoriously hard to use as ID) but the body looks like a GSD/Mal mix.

I would say keep them on neutral ground as long as it takes for them to decide if they they're more positive or negative towards each other. Deal with any problems that arise then and there. Make sure all have done OB first. Some dogs meet and decide faster than others - some want to circle and ignore for a while. If one wants to walk away that's fine; don't force interaction, but you know that. Just have one handler per dog and make sure all are watching THEIR dog's behavior (or the other one, decide on who watches who before) and not splitting focus three ways.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

I just thought of something else. I crate the dogs at night. Is there a better order from which to release them from their crates? Like should new dog go first? Or last? And should I have her crate be visible to Mobil and Turbo from theirs, or in a different room?
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I would think crating the unknown dog separately from the others would help with adjustment the first few nights, unless they all get along smashingly. I do know that sometimes coming out, one gets excited and rushes to the others, so if you don't already I would have a procedure to make sure they leave calm and start playing not while trying to get everyone out/in front of kennels. A lot depends on the dog and your assessment of her/him and what they need to settle in and adjust to your pack, as well as your pack to accept her/him.

I know when I had Jakai over I separated them when I had to leave - H went into a kennel in another room and Jakai was either placed in a room with a closed door or the door to where H was was closed. This was mainly because Jakai would go over to H and try to play/excite him and H would go crazy trying to play back, and when H was released it was rumble tumble city right next to you. That's why I would release one to the backyard then release the other so they could play outside and calm down. And after my experience, I totally recommend a procedure to keep them all calm to prevent any accidents or overarousal.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: I do know that sometimes coming out, one gets excited and rushes to the others, so if you don't already I would have a procedure to make sure they leave calm and start playing not while trying to get everyone out/in front of kennels.
This.

Does your crew have a procedure for getting released? (And working with the new beast on it?)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Raven wrote:
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: I do know that sometimes coming out, one gets excited and rushes to the others, so if you don't already I would have a procedure to make sure they leave calm and start playing not while trying to get everyone out/in front of kennels.
This.

Does your crew have a procedure for getting released? (And working with the new beast on it?)
Kind of? Turbo gets let out first and taken outside, she goes on the lead line in the mornings so she doesn't bark at the squirrels in the trees under the neighbor's bedroom window. Mobil gets let out of the crate while she's outside, and after she comes in, he goes outside.

If they are let out one immediately after the other, it doesn't matter which goes first, Mobil goes nuts putting Turbo in her place until he feels I have sufficiently said good morning to him. She's all excited saying good morning to Mobil and trying to get him to play with her and he wants none of it until he gets his lovin'.
Dusty,