Need help with a rescue and breed guesses.

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Need help with a rescue and breed guesses.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Then I would recommend separation until you can get a read on the new dog's rituals and work it into the routine. Say, for example, new dog and Turbo like to wrestle, let one outside, get the other and release outside and have someone watch while you get out Mobil for his morning loving. H wants love in the morning but when Jakai is here he wants to play with her more. The new dog may also need more time to get accustomed to the craziness that is two big dogs bouncing around, so I would also make sure s/he has a space that's theirs to relax in and can escape when needed and the others respect that boundary.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

That's good advice and makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I was thinking along the lines of protocol/SOP you may have in place--for instance, no one is allowed out until they are in a down and quiet, and aren't allowed to move when you open the door until you give your release command. Blah-blah-blah.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

along the same lines, more OB work for them to listen to you, Teach them "LOOK". When Sadie was a pup, she could not go out until she sat and looked, then i would open the door and she could not move until I released her. I usually have to let Thalie out first or Sadie will wait and as soon as Thalie goes out she will want to play and not let Thalie by.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote:she could not go out until she sat and looked, then i would open the door and she could not move until I released her.
This is what I did with Thor, but also included his butt had to be in very specific spot (about five feet from the door as a little extra insurance in case of what-ifs).

This and other protocols became second-nature. He just does what he's been conditioned to do. I don't have to say a peep. :D (Now, with his father...he knows protocols aren't as strictly adhered to. :evil: )
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

I don't strictly make them wait before going out. Turbo already does; she'll generally sit and wait for me to open the door and go when I say "go ahead," but Mobil goes out on a short lead so I usually clip him, say "wait" and open the door, and he steps forward to go out when I reach for the door handle and say "let's go," then I put him on the long lead.

I gotta work with both of them on keeping a down-stay; I never really made it a priority. I have lots more time now that ALL the kids are in school.
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Down-stay, sit-stay, place-stay, going to place under distraction and maintaining it.... all filed on "things I need to still practice on" and probably will always remain there. Man these dudes keep us busy in training! lol.

I would tack on that letting the dog adjust after a long trip is probably a good idea before meet and greets. But, depends on the dog - H travels fantastically and is fine going to places and then working and doing stuff and others just want to rest after. When she gets there get a gauge on her, walk her around a bit, and see how she feels.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sit stay look IMO should be staple commands, not for the door, but for anything. If your walking and there are people around, have the dog Sit, stay and look at you until they have passed.

Yesterday I was thinking about all of these posts about socialization and what people want with this breed. I was thinking that Thalie could go into a messy noisy crowd and she is fine. its not that she is Socialized, or I guess what I think socialization means to me, but I trained her to IGNORE every thing else and pay attention to me. I can walk her thorough a crazy dog park and she is glued to my leg, and wont interact. She wont go out the door until I release her ( not that I make her wait now, but she has the training to wait)

That is what people should be doing when they want to "socialize" the dog. its not getting them used to the crowd or noise or what have you, its getting them to focus on YOU and ignore everything else.

So if its a decoy taunting the dog, people , dogs , what have you, get the dog to SIt Stay look and focus solely on YOU.
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Mobil wrote:I don't strictly make them wait before going out.
I'd amp this up.... :twocents: :twocents:

And when I referred to the protocol above, I meant that for their crates as well as going outside and for any other boundaries they need to learn--such as getting out of a vehicle, etc. (Wasn't sure if I was clear on that.)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would amp it up as well, mine sit and wait for anything, getting in / out, going in/out etc
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Raven wrote: I'd amp this up.... :twocents: :twocents:
I will.
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Do you have her yet???? Pics if you do please!!!!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

See how we're all just kind of assuming you'll have a new dog? :lol: Crazy woman....
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

She left yesterday and she's in KY right now boarding overnight. I'm picking her up in Ft. Wayne tomorrow afternoon.

Dusty,

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Pretty girl !!!!!
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

As soon as we met up with the last driver, she rushed over and jammed herself between my knees to get petted, then did the same to my daughter. She was a little hesitant to get in the car, but she was an awesome passenger and rode between the 2 seats alternating putting her head in each of our laps.

We ended up getting a flat tire, and I wasn't driving from Indiana back home on a doughnut spare, so we had to find a place to get a new tire and we didn't get home until dark, so she did not meet the other dogs. We rotated them outside to let her look around a bit, but I cleared out one of our bathrooms by the laundry room and her crate and food bowls are in there and I can shut the door.

More pics:

heading to the vet this morning:

She wouldn't stop scratching and had some oozing sores, so we put a t-shirt on her.

My daughter texted me from work. They ran a skin scrape because it looks like mange, and she's heartworm positive. :cry:
Dusty,

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

She's beautiful, Dusty. And what a journey everyone had! Glad you all made it home safely.

Heartworm, and possibly mange? :eew: Poor girl. Poor you, too!

Keep us posted when you're not running nuts with all the dogs.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

She's gorgeous!!!!! I hope everything goes well with the meet and greet with the other dogs.

Poor thing! Heart worm... Yuck... Hoping it's not mange too!!!! Keep us updated!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:She's gorgeous!!!!! I hope everything goes well with the meet and greet with the other dogs.

Poor thing! Heart worm... Yuck... Hoping it's not mange too!!!! Keep us updated!
It's most likely mange, so she can't meet the other dogs for a few weeks.
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

:cry: At least gives her a chance to settle in. And heart work means low activity and crate rest right?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)