DS re-home issue

Corjer
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner based in CT. "Dutch" who looks like a smaller Mali is 2 years old. Super active and fed RAW

DS re-home issue

Post by Corjer »

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Jeremy and I currently reside in Connecticut. My Dutch Shepherd "Dutch" is a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm looking for assistance and would really appreciate any help from any of you.

2 years ago I got Dutch from a breeder in CT. He looks like a Malinois. He's about 55 lbs and a bit shorter than his litter mates. He was a very smart and playful dog. We brought him home and tried to keep him active. At around 5 months here started barking and lunging at cars. Then it became strangers while on walks

I started some obedience training at home and he was very well behaved in home but out of home appeared very anxious. Fast forward to now he still doesn't like cars in the neighborhood but doesn't mind them when out and about.I do take him in the car from time to time and he enjoys it.

I did correction via prong collar which took very well in home and in the back yard, but on walks he is way too anxious. I've since had 2 children and he has never gotten aggressive with my 1 year old or 1 month old. He's a bit too playful with other children and he picks and chooses who he's aggressive towards as far as adults.

Most recently we had to sell our home and move in with my in laws. We had been there for 2 months with 2 other toddlers with no issues at all. There are also 2 other dogs in the home which he knew since he was a puppy so he's fine....he's fine with some dogs and not fine with others.

My 4 year old neice was running around the house while he was in a Platz position...he got up and kind of jumped towards her and got mouthy. He bit her but not an actual bite. She had red marks and a scratch on her arm. I wasn't home. My wife while he doesn't listen to as much was.

He had to then be quarantined because the child's father contacted the dog warden. My wife's family doesn't want the dog in the home. I was trying to re-home him with someone who is experienced and has the time and patience to own a DS. I had a guy come check him out...he asked that I take him for a walk because he wanted to see the behavioral issues...

Dutch got agressive just from walking and being corrected for pulling. He ran up the leash twice missing my arm. He was okay for the rest of the walk until a man who had a 1 year old Labrador off leash walked by and the lab came up to Dutch. I tried to keep him from the dog and gave a correction to walk with me and he ran up the leash and bit me in the forearm.

I can't consciously give the dog to just anyone. I unfortunately am in a life situation where I'm at the mercy of someone else and living in their home.

If anyone has any organizations , trainers, ex law enforcement officers who are looking for a DS and have the time and patience to train him I would love the assistance. The trainer who came to see him said he would still take him but appears to be backing out now.

Dutch has since been doing to be crated for a majority of the day as there are a lot of kids and people in the home, and since he bit me no one wants him roaming.

He eats Raw meat (chicken and beef) he's trained with German commands and has had formal obedience training. He's strong headed. Affectionate and loves tugging and playing fetch.

I apologize if I did something wrong by posting here. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Jeremy C.
Connecticut
Owner of "Dutch"
Jeremy C.
Connecticut
Owner of "Dutch"
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: DS re-home issue

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hey, I am in Ct also. Have you contacted North American Dutch Shepherd rescue?? they may be able to help. This is not a dog that can go to just any home, as you know. There is also a great trainer who frequents the board, Steve, Maybe he will check in and have some help.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Corjer
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner based in CT. "Dutch" who looks like a smaller Mali is 2 years old. Super active and fed RAW

Post by Corjer »

Thank you! I haven't but will be reaching out to them to see if they can help. I truly appreciate you taking out the time to read the post and replying! Hopefully Steve reads this!

Happy New year!
Jeremy C.
Connecticut
Owner of "Dutch"
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

No problem !!! Especially for a neighbor ! Steve is great and he is in LI, he may know people.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Howdy!! What part of Connecticut? Hmmm there's some details I will need but there's a good chance I may come get him myself
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Give me a call please 917 828 0680
Corjer
Just Whelped

Post by Corjer »

Steve I will contact you shortly
Attachments
Resized_20171210_103802.jpeg
Resized_20171210_103802.jpeg (125.75 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Jeremy C.
Connecticut
Owner of "Dutch"
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I am in the southwest part of ct in north new haven county, Let me know if I can help some how.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:23 pm I am in the southwest part of ct in north new haven county, Let me know if I can help some how.
I spoke to him just gotta find a day to get up there! We should do lunch!!!
Corjer
Just Whelped

Post by Corjer »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:23 pm I am in the southwest part of ct in north new haven county, Let me know if I can help some how.
Thank you so much for your help I'll keep you posted !
Attachments
Resized_20171210_103736.jpeg
Resized_20171210_103736.jpeg (129.58 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
Jeremy C.
Connecticut
Owner of "Dutch"
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:21 am
I spoke to him just gotta find a day to get up there! We should do lunch!!!
you are taking him??? I am so happy !! Yes. keep me posted when you are coming up
ImageImage