DS- Rehome

bradnon
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Air Force Vet

DS- Rehome

Post by bradnon »

We have a 10 month old DS, Jaxson VonDutch aka Jax, who has fear aggression. He is great with our immediate family but will charge and attack anyone who attempts approaching. He will charge adults and other children if his anxiety is high. Jax can be good about ignoring but he is unpredictable and could lurch at someone if they do not keep their distance. This behavior has become concerning because we are starting to see more aggression towards our own kids. Our goal is to do what is best for Jax, the behavioral Vet we saw, said we have two options: Destroy or find someone who is able to manage and give him the one on one focus he will require. So I am really here for help, we absolutely love Jax but cannot put our kids or anyone else at risk.

He is a full bred, fixed with papers and all vet paperwork. I would like to find a home possibly with LEO or a Vet, someone who will give Jax the attention and love he needs. He is very active, loves the outdoors, very high ball and food drive. We have kept him completely raw diet and he had obedience using a e-collar and prong. Around the house we don't use the e-collar and he is 80% compliant, but we are working to not use such devices in hopes it possibly helps.

We are in the Ann Arbor Michigan area, please DM for more info or give me a call248-513-2383
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: DS- Rehome

Post by Dutchringgirl »

contact NADSR and see if they can help
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:21 pm contact NADSR and see if they can help
Yup Leo won't take a neutered dog
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

These are territorial dogs. If they aren't trained nor socialized properly they will become very aggressive of anyone crossing onto their property. Sounds like you need a real trainer not a re-home.
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

Have you contacted the breeder to see if they will take the dog back?
Who is the breeder?
What are you doing now to correct the inappropriate behavior?
Are you interested in working with a trainer?
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue