Stryker, male, CO

cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Stryker, male, CO

Post by cake73 »

Stryker is a 2yo, male Dutch shepherd x Belgian Tervuren currently located in CO.

Stryker is a highly intelligent dog who will need to be challenged by having something to do. He would excel in competition obedience and other dog sports. He needs more than an active family to remain fulfilled. Stryker will need an experienced handler (ideally someone who knows the breed) as while he is eager to please and enjoys work, he is not without flaws that will require ongoing training and behavior modification. His go-to reaction is to bark, and overall he is a VERY vocal dog, so his adopter will need to continue training to reduce this behavior. He also shows some moderate barrier aggression towards other dogs and will display similar behavior toward his handler if corrected through a barrier. Stryker is a strong, assertive dog but enjoys learning new things immensely. He also seems to recover quickly and can be re-directed quite easily. Stryker is also dog-selective and will need slow, careful introductions and integration into a household with other dogs. He would not do well with other strong, pushy, bold dogs.

If you are interested in adopting this guy, please fill out an ON-LINE Pre-Adoption application with North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org/prea ... gion1.html

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NADSR.DSRes ... 9230420269
Attachments
21765501_1762759607086898_4778688447217526582_o.jpg
21765501_1762759607086898_4778688447217526582_o.jpg (579.69 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Re: Stryker, male, CO

Post by cake73 »

Giving this guy another shout out.
It's just so puzzling that NADSR has had such little interest in Stryker.

Thoughts?
Is it the wording of his bio (see below)?
Not enough shares?
Location?

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback that might be useful!

:dswink"

Stryker is a 2yo, male Dutch Shepherd x Belgian Tervuren. Soon after his intake into foster care, he was diagnosed with Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD) of his left shoulder. OCD is a genetic disease in which the cartilage of the humeral head fails to form correctly and painful lesions occur. Fortunately, through generous donations, NADSR was able to provide Stryker with necessary surgery and rehabilitation. He has made a full recovery and he is now ready to find his forever home.

Stryker is a highly intelligent dog who will need to be challenged by having something to do. He would excel in competition obedience and other dog sports. He needs more than an active family to remain fulfilled.

Stryker will need an experienced handler (ideally someone who knows the breed) as while he is eager to please and enjoys work, he is not without flaws that will require ongoing training and behavior modification. His go-to reaction is to bark, and overall he is a VERY vocal dog, so his adopter will need to continue training to reduce this behavior. He also shows some moderate barrier aggression towards other dogs and will display similar behavior toward his handler if corrected through a barrier.

He is a strong, assertive dog but enjoys learning new things immensely. He also seems to recover quickly and can be re-directed quite easily. Stryker is also dog-selective and will need slow, careful introductions and integration into a household with other dogs. He would not do well with other strong, pushy, bold dogs.

He is fully crate-trained and has successfully been on a few road trips.

Stryker has high prey drive so cats and small animals would be questionable (he has not been tested with either). He likes water and is learning to swim. He readily walks on a dog treadmill, both regular and underwater. He has good food drive and good toy drive. All in all, he is a super fun, loving, goofy, and sweet dog who just needs someone to bring out his full potential.

Stryker young adult male 2y o is neutered, current on vaccines, heartworm negative, free of internal and external parasites, and micro-chipped. He is located in CO. If you are interested in adopting this guy, please fill out our ON-LINE Pre-Adoption application.
Pre-Adopt application http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org/prea ... gion1.html

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Poor Stryker - not getting any love. He is really handsome.

The only thing I can think of is to start with the positives:
cake73 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm He likes water and is learning to swim. He readily walks on a dog treadmill, both regular and underwater. He has good food drive and good toy drive. All in all, he is a super fun, loving, goofy, and sweet dog who just needs someone to bring out his full potential.
I'm going to give him another share over on the forum's Facebook page.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

He is so handsome. I hope he finds a home. They won’t put him down if they don’t right? I can’t imagine that happening with the surgery behind him and all. I don’t know anyone who is looking but will keep an ear out. What about posting on IG. Is that allowed?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
cake73

Post by cake73 »

Thanks, Michael, for the share and for the feedback.
Trudy and I have been wondering the same thing. His injuries are healed and he is fully rehabbed, but maybe some folks get freaked out by this. His bio is also super honest regarding some aspects of his personality and behavior, but those traits aren't unusual for a DS...or for any dog, really.

:dssmile:

cake73

Post by cake73 »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:26 pm He is so handsome. I hope he finds a home. They won’t put him down if they don’t right? I can’t imagine that happening with the surgery behind him and all. I don’t know anyone who is looking but will keep an ear out. What about posting on IG. Is that allowed?
Hi, Saralee.

Stryker is totally safe in rescue with North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue. :D
You could share him on IG, but NADSR does not have an IG account so it would be difficult for us to follow up on any comments that express interest.

cheers,
Cheryl

Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Thank you Cheryl for taking the time to update us .
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

cake73 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 pm His bio is also super honest regarding some aspects of his personality and behavior, but those traits aren't unusual for a DS
If this part of the BIO is a problem, they probably shouldn't be looking at a Dutch Shepherd.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
cake73

Post by cake73 »

centrop67 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:12 pm
cake73 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 pm His bio is also super honest regarding some aspects of his personality and behavior, but those traits aren't unusual for a DS
If this part of the BIO is a problem, they probably shouldn't be looking at a Dutch Shepherd.
:DSangel: :dschick:

Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:12 pm
So true.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG