9 week old potty in house

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
GRANITE
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: 9 week brindle shepard (know as Granite) owner

9 week old potty in house

Post by GRANITE »

Hi ,
I im wondering about potty trianing my dog.I been crating him at nite (hes doing well with that) ,but when hes out during the day he pees in the house prob 3 to 4 times in 5 or 6 hrs.. I have been telling him NO and taking him outside and rieinforcing him with great job ect when he does go outside .
Any tips on how to speed up this process?
Thanks to all
debmac
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd rescue, Tess. She is my first Dutchie. I have always had German Shepherds and have trained and worked them as search and rescue dogs. My hope is that Tess will take this road also

Re: 9 week old potty in house

Post by debmac »

Crate him unless he is under your direct supervision. Take him out on regular intervals. They learn very quickly.
Deb
Deb McAvoy
Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Do a google search on crate training. This is described extensively all over the internet.

Do you have a DS?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

9 week old wont be potty trained for a bit yet. Keep him in the crate when you cant watch him then take him out every 30 - 45 minutes to go. Dont tell him NO, he dosnt know what he is doing is wrong, keep an eye on him and when you see him go to pee or poo get him right out.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

Also helps to take him out even more than you think you need to. At only 9 weeks, they're still just learning to develop any kind of control, physically, they don't mature in terms of full control of bladder muscles until around 6 months or so. So in addition to teaching what is expected, you need to work within the temporary limitations of their physical abilities to "hold it," as well.
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
GRANITE
Just Whelped

Post by GRANITE »

Yes he is a DS .
Thanks for all the info hes doing better but still has accidents (to be expected) .He is very smart in the first and a half he knows sit,stay ,come , and speak.. I very inpressed with this breed let me tell you ... we love him dearly
:DSlove:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I know you posted under the new member thread, but can you add a name and a signature to your posts?

Pups only pee after they eat, after they sleep and after they play. :shock: (which is all the time!)
You were already given some good tips, but it is also up to you to anticipate the accident and prevent it by taking the pup out, and praise for relieving itself.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
GRANITE
Just Whelped

Post by GRANITE »

Granite update
Hes 6 months old now he is just about 100% potty trained .We love him hes 43# now and has been in professional training courses (at MAKk9s in Crete IL) since 2 months old...I am currently training him in and rules and boundries and bite classes...what a trip its has been
what a great DOG....
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

great, congrats to both of you! -- so where are the pics? we want to see. we are addicted and want reward.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

johninny wrote: so where are the pics? we want to see. we are addicted and want reward.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello, My name is Lisa and I am addicted to Dutchie pics
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

GRANITE wrote:Granite update
Hes 6 months old now he is just about 100% potty trained .We love him hes 43# now and has been in professional training courses (at MAKk9s in Crete IL) since 2 months old...I am currently training him in and rules and boundries and bite classes...what a trip its has been
what a great DOG....
Crete! That's where my parents grew up! My grandma still lives there and my husband and I are about 25 minutes north in the city. What's the training program like down there?
Glad to hear the potty training went well by the way.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA