My dog was bred and the female is having puppies...

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

My dog was bred and the female is having puppies...

Post by Mark77 »

I didn't want to put this in the "for sale" section because I am not selling the actual puppies. I am simply the guy that owned the stud dog and of course wants to make sure my dogs puppies go to a good home. However, my dog is awesome and I guess a breeder for DS dogs thought the same thing. So we bred the dogs a couple months back and the litter is due around October 11th. These are UKC registered KNPV line Dutch Shepherds. Both the male and female had their hips and elbows x-rayed with everything showing good. This is important I guess, enough so that I spent a few hundred dollars getting the x-rays done on my boy. In addition of course, getting him registered so the puppies ancestry can be traced etc.- which was pain in the but because they have to have lineage with actual registration even if from Europe. These are not "line bred" animals, these dogs come from two separate KNPV lines and will create awesome future additions to this rare breed. These will be excellent working dogs or in all honesty- excellent family pets or protection animals.

About the female, Snap Decision; I only met the female on two separate occasions, she apparently has done a lot of competition stuff and seemed very sweet, very well behaved, very smart. She's a good size for a female, I'm guessing around 65 pounds from what I can tell. My male averages around 78 pounds but he'll probably be over 80 pounds once he hits his full fill out growth when he hits 3 years of age next year.

Now as far as my male goes, Land of Oz Riddick, he's an awesome dog and a big cuddler. He has never been locked up in a kennel. He spends his days in my home with full free reign of the house. Never has destroyed anything and he sleeps most of the day or chews on his kong, eats his food or barks at the mailman. He learns very quickly what he can do and what can't do, commands, whatever. He is actually the first dog I've owned since I was a kid (over 20 years ago) so this was a whole new experience for me. He loves going on canoe rides, hikes in the woods or just riding around in the back of my Jeep. He is a water junkie- so I take him to go swimming whenever possible.

Mr. Riddick's favorite person outside of my wife and I is my grandfather who is 88 years old. We take Riddick to visit at the nursing home a couple times a month and everyone loves him there. He is that friendly once he gets to know someone and loves meeting new people. He's good with kids, my buddy has three children under the age of 8 and I take him over there several times a month as well to visit as part of his conditioning. He's good with other dogs but does get excited when he meets other dogs and wants to play but he is territorial of his yard with the pit bulls that live in the next yard over. However his best friend when he was puppy was the pug, Mr. Pugsley who lived next door. Currently we are trying PSA dog sport with a good trainer here in Cincinnati. So we'll see how that goes. Riddick knows commands in German, English, and few Dutch commands- so I'm hoping to get some titles under his belt down the road as my schedule allows. He has awesome bloodlines, a lot of PH1 and PH2 dogs from before the dogs were imported. Obviously I think he's awesome so I could talk about him forever.

Cher Car Kennels is the ones who own Snap Decision the female and my dog's name is Land of Oz Riddick. Both can be found on the Pedigree Database. I'm asking one thing, if you get one of his pups, train them well, and take good care of them along with making sure to update the Pedigree Database info as your dog ages or is bred etc.

http://www.chercarkennels.net/dutchshepherdpuppies.html

Anyway, if you are interested in seeing better pictures of Riddick, some of those are nearly a year old when he was just getting out of his "pup" stages just ask. He is also available for stud services to the right female, preferably UKC registered, clear hips etc.

ak4me@hotmail.com

Mark77 :pint:
Kazdog
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have trained/titled dogs in an assortment of Agility, Obedience, Rally, Dock Diving, and I am working on IPO.

Re: My dog was bred and the female is having puppies...

Post by Kazdog »

I’ve been waiting….and thinking….and hoping someone else would say something….But… nope. So here I go…

:twocents:

$2000 for pups from one parent with no titles and another parent with novice-level titles seems….optimistic.

“my dog is awesome”

Everyone’s dog is awesome. Unless you have multiple independent judges to back that statement up, it’s meaningless. I’ve known several awesome dogs and they have had something like MACH, OTCH, SCH3, or NATCH14 attached to their names.

“This is important I guess, enough so that I spent a few hundred dollars getting the x-rays done on my boy. In addition of course, getting him registered so the puppies ancestry can be traced etc.- which was pain in the but”

If this was the greatest challenge in deciding to breed your dog, you are doing it wrong.

“These will be excellent working dogs or in all honesty- excellent family pets or protection animals.”

All the breeders I know have difficulty predicting what an 8-week old pup will grow into. You must have some great in-utero telepathy.
Stacey
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i wrote a response right after you made your post, but apparently i did not ''submit'' it effectively, so i was surprised to see 1 response and that 1 response was not mine.

first, what i had said [ approximately and briefly ] was that you had presented a wonderful intro to Riddick - a great story of affection. he sounds like a stupendous dog. the combo with Snap should be amazing, producing just the kind of dog i would love.

secondly, it does not take a lot of titles in competitions that interest one trainer to prove a dog is spectacular. Riddick is obviously very stable, very social, very confident, and very trainable. though the intention is there to compete in the future, titles will not change the genes. [ and titles also speak to the training and the handler as much or more than the genes.] and Riddick has great genes. Snap Decision has great genes. she comes from a family of awesome and well-titled dogs.

i do not know who the first response poster is, but the assumption that dogs produced by some of the best breeders in the country [ especially dogs that show such awesome characteristics as these] are not a wise choice to mate seems like the height of arrogance - and was at the very least incredibly rude in the manner of its presentation. it appears that CherCar has chosen a bold, interesting, and, for me, a smart pairing. and i do not think CherCar Kennels is any slouch in the art of DS pairings, as they are known for the stability and flexibility of their dogs which include the #1 and #2-rated ukc competition DS in the country for 2012 and the only DS ever rated a UKC super-dog. however fussy the prior poster may be about titles, i would think such accomplishments might give a hint that the breeder is not clueless with respect to the art of producing extremely capable DS.

i look forward to hearing much more about Riddick and his offspring. the 11th? any news?!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

johninny wrote:i do not know who the first response poster is, but the assumption that dogs produced by some of the best breeders in the country [ especially dogs that show such awesome characteristics as these] are not a wise choice to mate seems like the height of arrogance - and was at the very least incredibly rude in the manner of its presentation. it appears that CherCar has chosen a bold, interesting, and, for me, a smart pairing. and i do not think CherCar Kennels is any slouch in the art of DS pairings, as they are known for the stability and flexibility of their dogs which include the #1 and #2-rated ukc competition DS in the country for 2012 and the only DS ever rated a UKC super-dog. however fussy the prior poster may be about titles, i would think such accomplishments might give a hint that the breeder is not clueless with respect to the art of producing extremely capable DS.

i look forward to hearing much more about Riddick and his offspring. the 11th? any news?!
Thank you, John...very well put. I thought about responding to the 1st poster, but you did a much better job than I could have. All I could come up with was "WOW" :shock:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Kazdog wrote:I’ve been waiting….and thinking….and hoping someone else would say something….But… nope. So here I go…

:twocents:

$2000 for pups from one parent with no titles and another parent with novice-level titles seems….optimistic.

“my dog is awesome”

Everyone’s dog is awesome. Unless you have multiple independent judges to back that statement up, it’s meaningless. I’ve known several awesome dogs and they have had something like MACH, OTCH, SCH3, or NATCH14 attached to their names.

“This is important I guess, enough so that I spent a few hundred dollars getting the x-rays done on my boy. In addition of course, getting him registered so the puppies ancestry can be traced etc.- which was pain in the but”

If this was the greatest challenge in deciding to breed your dog, you are doing it wrong.

“These will be excellent working dogs or in all honesty- excellent family pets or protection animals.”

All the breeders I know have difficulty predicting what an 8-week old pup will grow into. You must have some great in-utero telepathy.

Titles are great and I respect them, which is why I bought my dog from all PH1 and PH2 lines. He has some of the highest scoring KNPV dogs in his ancestry, even a world champion. But what does that all mean- nothing. Titles don't define how the offspring will turn out- it's that simple and you are right. You might have some high drive pups, you might have some low key pups, all from titled parents- that's the way mother nature works. Would I be willing to drive six hours to have my dog judged by strangers, I don't know, it honestly doesn't interest me all that much- I just judge if he is good around people, which he is. I live in a city area, he can go off leash through heavy traffic, even once went with me to "West Fest", over 30K people converging onto six city blocks- no problem. He knows basic commands in three languages, though most of his training is in German and has gone through over a year of training, now currently working on PSA training- which I'm sure he'll do fine.

I have a solid dog, not just any solid dog, but a Dutchie that won't destroy my house when I'm gone for ten hours a day or overnight on Saturday, is great with people, and enjoys new activities. He's also very protective but also accepting to people he has never met including small children pulling on his ears and tail in 95 degree weather at a kids birthday party- that my buddies son had with two dozen kids running around him. He leaves my birds alone, he doesn't chew up my furniture, he just guards my house- which is all I want. Now walk up on me when my back is turned or walk into my yard without talking to me first and you'll have a near 80 lb dog growling at you- that is until I tell him it's fine. I'm not sure what more you could want in a dog, honestly.

Cher Car wouldn't even breed their female with him unless I brought him up to be tested- AFTER he got his hips/elbows tested. They fired a gun within fifteen feet of him, actually dumped an entire magazine from a Beretta 92FS- he didn't even react, not even barked or lunged, just sat there waiting to see if I thought things were OK. They put him in a pen with a wire fence that on the other side was a bunch of goats- he didn't go after the livestock. They threw objects into a room filled with boxes and stuff- to see if he would bring back the correct item, even timed him in doing so- which he did fine. They also tested his nerves, multiple people coming toward him he has never met, only one was "threatening/yelling"- he only barked at the one that was the "threat". All of those scenarios, he had NEVER been exposed to prior. In fact, I had no idea what they were going to test for- so I drove over 400 miles to find out. Trust me, if he would have failed at any level- they would have told me to hit the road.

Go five generations out on my dog's pedigree from when they were all still in Europe. My dog has some rock stars in his bloodline, world champions, PH2 with honors- rock stars. 100% titled dogs or progeny with titles on both sides of his family lines. In all honesty, he has some of the best proven and respected bloodlines of any Dutchies. Like I said, he's an awesome dog, my little wolf and my best buddy.

:pint:
Kazdog
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have trained/titled dogs in an assortment of Agility, Obedience, Rally, Dock Diving, and I am working on IPO.

Post by Kazdog »

It was the “my dog is awesome” and should be bred part that bothers me. My neighbor had “awesome” chihuahuas she bred and couldn't find homes for. Her daughter had “awesome” pitbulls she let roam the neighborhood. When people find out I am in dogs the first thing I often get is “my Dad’s/Mom’s/brother’s/sister’s awesome dog just had a litter. I bet one of the puppies would be perfect for you!”

And then there was the DS in the shelter locally. He was “awesome” too.

I know someone who bred a dog from “awesome” bloodlines. She is an extremely reactive dog. (Although her webpage describes her as “lovely” and “gentle.”) This dog couldn't ever hope to pass a CGC or temperament test. Two puppies from that litter have bitten my dogs. One has an extensive bite history: adults/children and dogs/puppies. Bloodlines are important, but not as important as the individual dog being bred.

Titles don’t mean everything. BUT, they do demonstrate at least a basic level of not-crazy and controllable. They also demonstrate a basic level of commitment by the owner.

Cheryl Carlson, to her great credit, takes back her puppies if the homes don’t work out. Too few breeders do. This person is willing to breed his dog to a female he has seen twice and who does “competition stuff.” Because his dog is “awesome.” Fortunately these puppies have a safety net. Too many don’t.
Stacey
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

he truly sounds as good as they get.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

FYI- they have three males and four females available from this litter.

M :pint:

http://www.chercarkennels.net/dutchshepherdpuppies.html
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

thank you, Mark. wish i could get one. Riddick sounds like the dog of my dreams, but i have a full house.

Kazdog Stacey: your recent post makes no sense. Mark had already described in his first posting how very social and stable Riddick is. further, he is not the breeder - unlike your idiot neighbor and other examples you point to. the breeder, also as stated in the original post, is recognized as one of the leading breeders in the world, particularly for her dogs' stability and sociability; one could tell from the very first posting that Cheryl saw in Riddick not just another great DS but a dog that was exceptionally dependable in his human interactions - so exceptional that he was worth adding to her lines. for you to go on and on about the backyard breeders that you seem to have as friends and neighbors is not germane to the original posting or to anyone else's comments here and again seems rather impolite and insulting. it is clear that Chercar is the breeder - not Mark - so why do you insist on pretending otherwise? if you have a problem with the judgement, goals, philosophy, or achieved outcomes of Chercar Kennels, then state so as that would be the relevant discussion to have - though i do not think you would find the comfort of any negative sentiment here.

to that point: before reading your last post in which you seemed to be more aware/knowledgeable than i had assumed from your first post, i thought you might be pursuing a legitimate question in a rather clumsy and insulting way. that question could have been: ''could someone explain to me why a dog that has not won in competitions might be desirable as the sire of a puppy with such a high price tag? what is the breeder's goal or point of view that makes this a good fit?'' a simple and elegant answer to that question seems obvious to me, but i would have loved to have had that fleshed out in more detail for my own benefit simply because the choice seems so bold and wonderful [ increasing my respect for Chercar]. i do think Mark's further response was really great in that regard, but would love to know if Cheryl had related to Mark [ or anyone ] specific comments on her goals and expectations for this pairing. i know for sure that i will be unhealthily envious of anyone who gets one of these pups from a very intriguing breeding choice that Cheryl has made.

[ please note my last one-sentence post was written and posted at the very moment that Kazdog Stacey posted her last comment - to put everything in context. i only now became aware of that further comment and felt like responding.]
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

I can go into specifics that I know for the goal of the breeding was but I think that should be up to Cheryl to describe- she's the expert. However I know that essentially the breeding was to produce a more clear headed, calmer, stable line of dutch shepherds primarily for home, competition, or police work. This was a carefully selected breeding and she certainly didn't think Riddick was going to pass her testing but I guess he did because she didn't show me the door. Cheryl's been doing this over three decades and has a pretty good handle on what to look for.

Riddick has solid lines, he himself might not have any trophies because I'm not driving all over the country for competitions and I'm more in agreement with Bruce Lee's thoughts on titles; "belts are for pants". However he is what he is, a dog that would sit next to me in a crowded bar full of people then walk with me home when it's time to go.

Thanks,

Mark
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

Ridddick sounds exactly like Tracedog was. he did sit in crowded bars [off leash], crowded restaurants, sardine-like art parties in nyc lofts [ including a very loud, dark, smoke-effects disorienting Madonna party], concert halls, movie theaters, crowded and hectic Manhattan stores, and active auctions, etc. at 10 or 11 months of age, he was even completely serene and self-assured on his very first attendance at the world's most famous, completely crazy and crowded Halloween parade in manhattan's already-weird west village. always off-leash, i thought nothing of letting him navigate times square at rush hour, 57th and 5th ave at christmas season, or city highways with me; it made no difference if he had been there before or not. he handled all situations old and new with total aplomb.

so i fully appreciate what you say about Riddick and long to have that again in my life. at your first writing, i thought to myself that it was a brilliant choice for Cheryl to make - which is why i immediately commented [ but apparently was negligent in confirming that my comments had actually posted].

[in a further edit] maybe i should make clear for some others that TD was no slouch on the drive side, on athleticism, or any kind of precision physicality. from what i have seen, he would have been able to rank extremely high in any aspect of DS abilities and characteristics; and i was secretly so pleased and proud that he was so extraordinarily competent in this regard. but it is the confident, all-knowing navigation of society for which i would have gone to the ends of the earth for TraceDog. it is THAT dog that i truly loved.

and to Cheryl's credit [ with your cooperation ], there should be more such dogs, more such DS, in the world.
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

johninny wrote:thank you, Mark. wish i could get one. Riddick sounds like the dog of my dreams, but i have a full house.
Ditto, John. He definitely sounds like a winner. I would love to have one of CherCar's Riddick x Snap offspring. Here is what was posted on their website regarding this litter:
GRCH Snap x Riddick litter due on or around October 11, 2013

I’ve been looking for a little lower key male stud to use other than our popular Lothar as he brings a lot of get up and go to our litters. Our female Snap is a great dog to try an “outside” breeding with (using a new, unrelated male) since we know that she will add genetic health, trainability, stability, and of course, stunning good looks.

Land of Oz Riddick is an untitled boy much loved by his family who lives quietly in the house, but when I tested him, had all the genetic stability that I could want. Of course, Riddick is OFA certified Hips/Elbows, UKC registered and carries some old KNPV lines that we don’t have here.

I’m hoping for good looking, stable pups that can be a great housedog, and can be utilized as an “everything” dog. More after I see the pups!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
funkyhunky
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd owner.

Post by funkyhunky »

While I agree that the Cheryl and co seem to know what they are doing. I always find it funny how people that have never titled dogs in anything can so easily blow off the importance of working titles for a true working breed. Working breeds are preseved by testing not by petting.

dan
Dan form Ontario
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

funkyhunky wrote:While I agree that the Cheryl and co seem to know what they are doing. I always find it funny how people that have never titled dogs in anything can so easily blow off the importance of working titles for a true working breed. Working breeds are preseved by testing not by petting.
Geez, people...where's the love?? :huh: :huh: :huh:
I'm not sure anyone here is blowing off or pooh-poohing working titles. Not everyone's schedule allows for going from competition to competition. Not everyone is a competition or title junkie and there are good, solid owners who do well by their working breed dog-kids via all sorts of local training venues without actually getting titles. It seems to me that Mark is no slouch when it comes to training and is doing a good job preserving the working instincts of Riddick while maintaining him as a solid family member...titled or not.
Mark77 wrote:Currently we are trying PSA dog sport with a good trainer here in Cincinnati. So we'll see how that goes. Riddick knows commands in German, English, and few Dutch commands- so I'm hoping to get some titles under his belt down the road as my schedule allows. He has awesome bloodlines, a lot of PH1 and PH2 dogs from before the dogs were imported.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Congratulations on the mating. I am interested to speak with Carole and Cheryl about their decision to choose Riddick because they usually are very interested in titles that demonstrate the versatility of a dog. I am sorry, but I don't believe that you see the true character of a working dog until they have undergone the stress of day in and day out training towards competition. And no, not everyone has the time to travel and compete on a National level, but if you are interested in continuing the high standards of this breed, you can certainly find time to work your dog at home and compete on a local level. Glad to hear that Riddick is in training there in Cincy - with PAC I assume? Great people, great training and I will be interested to see how he proves himself on the field.

I also balk at your presentation of joint certification. It should not be considered a hindrance that cost you a few hundred dollars (I assume you sent them in for certification?). They are a must to ensure the health of the breed. I also assume you received a stud fee or will be getting a puppy back from the breeding so the "few hundred dollars" will be repaid with very little outlay from you. To state "This is important I guess, enough so that I spent a few hundred dollars getting the x-rays done on my boy" shows that you don't truly know about breeding, or probably what makes your dog a good or bad representative. I am glad that you have the folks at CherCar to help mentor this process, and if you stud him out in the future I hope you hold the same high standards to a female that CherCar had when choosing Snap.

There will almost always be a few "pet" dogs in a working litter. Or at least ones with solid stability that will make good working dogs or good pet dogs. Breeding just to make pets (and I am not saying that is the case here - just speaking to those would want a dog out of a pet/pet breeding) just waters down the breed in general.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Christie M wrote:Congratulations on the mating. I am interested to speak with Carole and Cheryl about their decision to choose Riddick because they usually are very interested in titles that demonstrate the versatility of a dog. I am sorry, but I don't believe that you see the true character of a working dog until they have undergone the stress of day in and day out training towards competition. And no, not everyone has the time to travel and compete on a National level, but if you are interested in continuing the high standards of this breed, you can certainly find time to work your dog at home and compete on a local level. Glad to hear that Riddick is in training there in Cincy - with PAC I assume? Great people, great training and I will be interested to see how he proves himself on the field.

I also balk at your presentation of joint certification. It should not be considered a hindrance that cost you a few hundred dollars (I assume you sent them in for certification?). They are a must to ensure the health of the breed. I also assume you received a stud fee or will be getting a puppy back from the breeding so the "few hundred dollars" will be repaid with very little outlay from you. To state "This is important I guess, enough so that I spent a few hundred dollars getting the x-rays done on my boy" shows that you don't truly know about breeding, or probably what makes your dog a good or bad representative. I am glad that you have the folks at CherCar to help mentor this process, and if you stud him out in the future I hope you hold the same high standards to a female that CherCar had when choosing Snap.

There will almost always be a few "pet" dogs in a working litter. Or at least ones with solid stability that will make good working dogs or good pet dogs. Breeding just to make pets (and I am not saying that is the case here - just speaking to those would want a dog out of a pet/pet breeding) just waters down the breed in general.

This was a litter announcement with awesome dogs, nothing more. However all dogs are pets one way or another, bottom line, they are pets- and you need to trust them as they trust in you.

I will honestly say that I don't think there is a greater test for any dog than to show up to West Fest, Cheviot with 30K drunks milling around the street in a six city block area. Live bands playing, people yelling, even motorcycles blaring their pipes, kids screaming, carnival rides, drunks everywhere. That was kind of the culmination of trust with my dog, to get him to that level- then walking in and out of bars with him without issue. Hell he sat next to me in bars filled with people, strangers walking up to him, petting him- no problem. He even lays under the pool table while a play a few games, music blaring, strangers walking around him. That's a real test in my book, one cool cucumber of a dog he is. However he is in PAC and I trust they are about the best trainers in Cincinnati.

As far as a stud fee- I haven't received anything. They said they will sell the pups and then send me a stud fee. I trust them in that, course, I might be interested in a pup since my neighbor has a 14 year old German Shepherd that isn't doing so well. As far as Cher Car Kennels, I figure they are among the best Dutch Shepherd breeders stateside from what I can tell. I did my homework and they sure ran me through the gauntlet to make sure Riddick was good for it. I learned a lot going through this process. Definitely would like to stud him out again as I think I have an exceptional Dutchie, not nervy, not aggressive, just an awesome tribute to the breed.

:pint:

Swagger
http://www.westsidestreetfest.com/
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Christie M wrote:I am sorry, but I don't believe that you see the true character of a working dog until they have undergone the stress of day in and day out training towards competition.
Amen to that!
Mark77 wrote: I will honestly say that I don't think there is a greater test for any dog than to show up to West Fest, Cheviot with 30K drunks milling around the street in a six city block area. Live bands playing, people yelling, even motorcycles blaring their pipes, kids screaming, carnival rides, drunks everywhere. That was kind of the culmination of trust with my dog, to get him to that level- then walking in and out of bars with him without issue. Hell he sat next to me in bars filled with people, strangers walking up to him, petting him- no problem. He even lays under the pool table while a play a few games, music blaring, strangers walking around him. That's a real test in my book, one cool cucumber of a dog he is.
Now place a working dog trial within that kind of environment, i.e. loud people, kids, music, strangers, stadium announcements, nearby traffic - may be even airplanes taking off over the trial field, and throw in some feral cats hanging around the trial field - may be even a cat fight. This is the REAL TEST. If you get through all this with some great scores, you have a true "cool cucumber". :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Mark77 wrote:However he is in PAC and I trust they are about the best trainers in Cincinnati.
Absolutely, we agree there. I look forward to hearing of his accomplishments down the road. Mic, Scott, Jake and the gang are very committed to the success of the dogs in their club. If you compete in the MidWest we will likely meet!!
Mark77 wrote:As far as a stud fee- I haven't received anything. They said they will sell the pups and then send me a stud fee. I trust them in that, course, I might be interested in a pup since my neighbor has a 14 year old German Shepherd that isn't doing so well. As far as Cher Car Kennels, I figure they are among the best Dutch Shepherd breeders stateside from what I can tell. I did my homework and they sure ran me through the gauntlet to make sure Riddick was good for it. I learned a lot going through this process. Definitely would like to stud him out again as I think I have an exceptional Dutchie, not nervy, not aggressive, just an awesome tribute to the breed.
CherCar has been breeding for a very long time, and breeding Dutch Shepherds specifically for a little over 10 years. They have produced some sounds dogs for sure, and that is why I said it is a great way to enter the breeding world. They will be great mentors. If you do stud again, I was only saying I hope you are as picky about the female you breed to as CherCar is. Even if your boy is exceptional, he only contributes 50% of the genes and none of the interactive learning. A good bitch is worth her weight in gold.
I learned a lot going through this process. Definitely would like to stud him out again as I think I have an exceptional Dutchie, not nervy, not aggressive, just an awesome tribute to the breed.

Good luck in your endeavor. I am looking forward to hearing about your successes and that of the pups.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

I just started with PAC so we'll see how it goes, I'm not a trainer and all this is basically new for me.

All the pups are spoken for from what I was told. Which is good, they were born what- two days ago and are already sold. That speaks volumes about Cheryl and her staff.

If I do breed Riddick again, it will only be with a papered dog with cleared hips/elbows and only with a reputable breeder.

M
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

wow so we are now breeding working breeds based on "my dog is awesome and he's a great cuddler, and oh I did bother to have his hips x-rayed cause apparently that's important or some thing". Oh yes and never mind working titles, we can't even be bothered to test them through training cause the dog is too busy enjoying parades and watching people drink beer at social events. But oh my gosh let's not forget papers, cause that's obviously a mark of quality.

Splendid.. just splendid..

:eew:

"As far as Cher Car Kennels, I figure they are among the best Dutch Shepherd breeders stateside from what I can tell. I did my homework and they sure ran me through the gauntlet to make sure Riddick was good for it."

I can't even read that while keeping a straight face. They ran you through the gauntlet meaning they asked you to take your dog to a vet to shoot some X-rays and asked you if you think your own dog is awesome? And this kind of selection process is what makes them one of the best Dutchie breeders in the US? Right, sure sure.. I think you just insulted every decent Dutchie breeder in the US with that comment cause this sounds exactly like some thing a good quality breeder concerned with the quality of the dogs they breed would do and not just some one breeding for the sake of producing more striped dogs, oh wait as long as they're papered it's ok. CherCar may well have some valid reasons for choosing your unproven dog to use as a stud, who knows perhaps Cheryl will chime in, but with your description of the process and circumstances you sure did not make her sound like a good breeder concerned with maintaining or improving the quality of the breed.
Choochi