Fawn DS

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
Illegal Regal
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: No dogs yet

Fawn DS

Post by Illegal Regal »

Just curious what the thoughts on a fawn mal colored DS is? Both parents are brindle.
Is it considered a dutch mal, belgian or DS? Are they frowned upon for not being brindle?
Aaron
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Fawn DS

Post by Karin »

You might look at this recent thread for info on your question.
http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... =13&t=3207
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

All Dutchies are striped. Further, all true Dutchies have a dark base coat, black, with black face. The ones that are "tan based" have to much Mal mixed in them.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Mark77 wrote:All Dutchies are striped. Further, all true Dutchies have a dark base coat, black, with black face. The ones that are "tan based" have to much Mal mixed in them.
What? :o
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Good advise Karin!

Illegal Regal, in the last post on that thread, I go into the detail of the development of the breed, the genetics involved with color and how fawn can and does occur in Dutch Shepherds - including those from very "pure" FCI stock.
Mark77 wrote:All Dutchies are striped. Further, all true Dutchies have a dark base coat, black, with black face. The ones that are "tan based" have to much Mal mixed in them.
Yeah - there is nothing about that statement that is true. First, genetically, every Dutch has a fawn/red/tan base coat. Any black you see (with the exception of a mask) is the result of the presence of a brindle gene (Kbr). How much base coat you see show through is determined by the width of the stripes. Dogs that look predominantly dark have very wide stripes that overlap each other. Dogs that look primary fawn/red/tan have thinner stripes. Since what color you see most predominantly is ONLY determined by how the brindle gene is presented, it can have NOTHING to do with malinois in the pedigree because they never have or carry a brindle gene.

There have always been lighter and darker Dutch Shepherds. Since the beginning of the breed. I was told they were often culled, but they always have existed.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
deadrabbits
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue

Post by deadrabbits »

Thank you for clarifying that Christie. :D
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister