Rear dew claws

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
MyronD
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am an experienced, responsible pet owner, animal lover and dog enthusiast. I am a proud new Dutch Shepherd owner and I'm interested in learning more about the Dutch Shepherd and dog sports and activities.

Rear dew claws

Post by MyronD »

I know there are a lot of top DS breeders and enthusiasts on here so I hope to get a clear cut consensus response to this simple, basic questions: If a DS puppy is born with rear dew claws, should the breeder remove them/have them removed?
Thank you.
Myron D
Muncie, IN
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Rear dew claws

Post by Raven »

I don't have the answer to this (and mine doesn't have rear dews), but a long time ago a top breeder on here (and moderator) talked about dew claws. Maybe an advanced search would produce the thread? I'm not sure if searching her posts would help since she's posted tons. If you'd like to try: vneerland is the mod name.

I hope someone in-the-know replies.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Raven,

Is this one you were thinking about: http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... aws#p24338
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Eric--that's the one. THANKS! (I'd forgotten that Christie was part of the discussion. :oops: )
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
MyronD
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am an experienced, responsible pet owner, animal lover and dog enthusiast. I am a proud new Dutch Shepherd owner and I'm interested in learning more about the Dutch Shepherd and dog sports and activities.

Post by MyronD »

Thank you for the responses. I did search the topic before I posted. It sounds like the answer to my question is "yes", the breeder should remove them when present.

I spoke with my breeder and I believe she is going to help with the expense of having them removed from my new puppy. I did not notice them when I first got him. My vet agrees that they should be removed. She stated that they can get caught on things and get ripped off rather easily.
Myron D
Muncie, IN
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

They removed on the front and back of my male, my female still has hers on the front for some reason.
Selena
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Selena van Leeuwen, 35 yo, married to Dick. We have 2 children, a boy just turned 3 and a girl who will be 2 in may. We breed xHH, we developed our own bloodline with in mind how a PSD should be in our eyes.

Post by Selena »

No altering unless for severe medical reasons, that includes spay/neutering for me :-)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Fronts are attached with multiple tendons and typically sit closer to the leg. For performance dogs, they assist in tight turning, the A-frame, holding things, and other functions. They are almost never removed.

Backs are attached with only one tendon - if at all. They are almost always removed in the US because they can be floppy and tend to rip off. If they are tightly attached like the fronts, then it isn't nearly the same concern.

Selena - it is a different world over here! If a dog makes it through the first year of its life without having SOMETHING cut off it is a very luck dog. Not saying that I agree with that!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Selena
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Selena van Leeuwen, 35 yo, married to Dick. We have 2 children, a boy just turned 3 and a girl who will be 2 in may. We breed xHH, we developed our own bloodline with in mind how a PSD should be in our eyes.

Post by Selena »

Yes Christie i noticed...here it usually only is s/n by people who are talked in to it by their vets. Later than in the US though.