Ear Frustration.Help!!

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Ear Frustration.Help!!

Post by karenz »

I have read everything I can find on ears. Xander put his ears up at about 3 months. They stayed up for a couple weeks then started the up down all around phase. I tried posting but I have never done it before so was not very successful. He had gotten all his teeth around 5 1/2 months and the ears came back up for a few weeks. At about 6 1/2 months they flopped again but would stand up here and there. At 7 months complete flop never stood. He is now eight months and I am posting somewhat successfully. I am giving glucosamine and chondroitin. He gets high quality food. His parents ears were fine and the others in the litter all stood early and didnt have any more problems. I'm not sure if it matters but I had him fixed a few days before he turned 7 months. I am looking for help as I have read that he is getting to the age that I may not be able to fix it. I attached a couple recent pictures to show the changes in his ears. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attachments
2014-02-21 15.44.52.png
2014-02-21 15.44.52.png (230.54 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
2014-02-21 15.04.24.png
2014-02-21 15.04.24.png (475.47 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
2014-02-21 12.54.07.png
2014-02-21 12.54.07.png (476.18 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Ear Frustration.Help!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had the same frustration with Sadies ears as well, I taped them but that didnt help, then they finally stood on their own. I cant remember but I think it was about 8 months or so when they decided to stay up. Her cartilage is thinner than Thalies so they still flop when she runs or barks, but they stay. I dont think there is anything you can do, they will or wont.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Xander just turned 8 months so maybe there is hope. He has had them up perfectly several times for awhile and they get floppy again. I know they can stand just dont understand why they keep changing. I did some more reading last night and found a website that said if they are a big, big boned, dog it makes a difference. It didn't say why but Xander is a rather big boy at 25" and 68 lbs. Thanks for the post. If Sadie was 8 months before hers came up I still have hope.
Karen & Xander
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

Xander is so beautifully expressive [ with his ears ] and just plain beautiful.
welcome.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Thanks johninny. I'm bias of course but I think he is the most handsome guy.
Karen & Xander
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Have you had your vet check for infection in the ears? Something about the way they are sitting made me think it may be a possibility. The shot of the ears standing up is a beautiful ear placement, but in the other photos the ears seem to be carried lower on the head. I've seen this ear carriage in other dogs with ear infections/chronic yeast, etc.

My Lyric is sired by Timo.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
kyoto49
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog lover, Liverpool supporter :)

Post by kyoto49 »

Hi,

He's lovely :)

We rescued our DS at 5 months, and he is of unknown background, but also have the ear issue. When he first arrived they were almost greyhound like little rose ears, then they spent a few weeks like Labrador ears! Currently they are perfectly erect DS ears when he is out on walks and alert, when he's at home and chewing we have the right one up almost all the time but the left one like a greyhound's, and sometimes they are both down again. They seem erect though when he is asleep?? He's currently 6.5 months old, so I'm just chilled about it. They'll stand up or they won't, and I'm letting them do what they want. I'd like to them to stand, as it's part of being a DS, but it's no biggie for us :D
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Do they flop over when Xander is relazing at this point? Or just when he is active?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Alyspyce: I did have the vet check his ears and he didn't find any infections or problems.

Kyoto49: it sounds like we have a very similar problem.
Karen & Xander
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Icvanstra: they stay up better when he is playing ball or tug or being very active, like the second picture. The third picture is how he looks when he is inside just laying down or chewing on a toy.
Karen & Xander
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

He's gorgeous...ears up or down. ;)
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Thanks StacyR
Karen & Xander
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I'm not sure where I found it, but we ordered a GSD ear standing kit from Germany. It can with 2 orthopedic foam (very thin) molds that were shaped like an ear, and a skin safe rubber cement. You coat one side of the mold with the rubber cement and lay it in the ear so it supports the entire inside of the ear. It stays stuck on for 2-3 weeks and our dogs (we have had to do it twice - once with one of ours and once with a foster). Both were 9-11 months. I tend to panic at about 8 months. When the mold finally fell out, the ears stood perfectly and never went down. I have never seen that kind of success with any other form of posting.

Here is a link to a picture of it on google. https://www.google.com/search?q=german+ ... B321%3B197. LOL. You might be ablet o track it down from there.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Thanks Christie M. I actually bought pipe insulation from lowes and ostemy glue. It worked great. The tape was not working for me. I have had them in for about 5 days and he finally scratched them out. His right ear is standing much better now but left ear is still pretty floppy so I'm going to put them back in. Great suggestion though!! I was getting worried at 8 months but I have read that if they have stood at some point they will eventually come up and stay. His were up very well a couple of times so I hope with a little help we will get there. :D
Karen & Xander
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Another update..... his wars are up. I guess he was a late bloomer. Around 9 or 9 1/2 months they finally decided to stay up.
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Great!!! That was when Sadies ears finally stood too!.
ImageImage
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Riddick will sometimes have his ears half down when laying around the house. Then when he's alert or looking for something his ears stand up straight. Asia has her ears always up. I think they can control if their ears lay down or not.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yes, they can control their ears. Sadies ears go every where, up, down, back, all over. Thalie dosnt move her ears much, only back when i am scratching her but.
ImageImage