Easy cheap way to clean your dogs teeth...

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Easy cheap way to clean your dogs teeth...

Post by Mark77 »

If you go to your grocer they have usually packets of beef bones listed as "soup bones". Leftover pieces from the de-boning process. These around disk shaped bones are about an inch thick, have a very porous center and not a lot of meat on them. I pop them in the microwave for about 40 seconds, enough to kill any bacteria on them then wash them off with water. Give them to the dogs. Because of the porous nature in the center of the bones, they sink their molars in good- and knock all the plaque off their teeth. Do this every few months as needed. Plus they think it's awesome. They generally chew them up to a point where I don't want them swallowing the rest so I take them away- just keep an eye on them while their having at it. I've tried dental sticks, rawhide, you name it- nothing works like soup bones. Some stores might call them marrow bones as well.

Mark77
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Re: Easy cheap way to clean your dogs teeth...

Post by johninny »

Tracedog got one every day and his teeth looked liked they were professionally cleaned every day.
the puppies also get marrow bones, but with much less frequency; instead they have antlers all over the house and each dog gets a whole carrot to gnaw on every day. we'll see how that goes in maintaining the pearly whites.
of course, others have pointed to the downside of teeth breaking - something my dogs have not experienced.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

There's no need to microwave the bone. Dogs can handle the bacteria.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Stacy_R wrote:There's no need to microwave the bone. Dogs can handle the bacteria.
Actually that isn't as true as it once was. Dogs can contract certain strains of bacteria such Salmonella, E-Coli and even MRSA- which can be very dangerous. It also been tested that over half of chickens you can pick up at a grocery store have shown strains of super bacteria caused by over use of antibiotics. Depending on if the butcher used the same saw to cut various types of meat, they could cross contaminate.

I got a nice hefty thousand dollar vet bill after both dogs got sick with some type of bacteria from eating raw chicken backs. This after feeding them "raw" randomly over a year and then one day they both ended up very sick at the same time. I spent a lot of time mopping and airing out my house after that mishap. So now I do a light grilling of any store bought meat I feed them or a quick pop in the microwave for certain items. I don't over cook the items as I don't want the bones to splinter either.

To be safe going raw, go hunting. Turkey's, deer, pheasants, perfect for a raw diet dog. Just get a big freezer in your basement and do your own butchering. Nothing like watching two dogs fighting over a deer spine in your front yard to discourage neighbors from messing with you.

Mark77
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

I've been feeding several dogs raw now for several years. No issues at all. Nor have any of my friends/family members had any issues.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I am on my second generation of dogs with no problems from the marrow bones.

However, I do freeze them first, which may help.

I fully understand going the extra mile for our babies, though. :wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutch in America
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.

Post by Dutch in America »

My three boys love their "Friday bones" (soup bones), I also freeze them until use. I hesitate to cook them as this makes the bones splintery. My 10 year old farmdog Jake's teeth have almost no tartar on them thanks to the bones, besides they love them! The only downside is forgetting to pick the bones up from the yard before mowing the grass.
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs

"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Dutch in America wrote:The only downside is forgetting to pick the bones up from the yard before mowing the grass.
... or stepping on one in bare feet in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

Dutch like to drop his bone and let it roll across the floor. Which why I don't allow them in the bedroom specially bed time cause all you hear is drop roll roll roll.

I hear you on the lawnmower thing. You always think ok, I picked up everything then half way through the work you hear smack. I think that's why I had to replace a blade last year.
But he has strong clean teeth.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

HeatherH wrote:I don't allow them in the bedroom
Me: Radar. You can't bring that in the room.

Radar: Ignores me. Jumps up on the bed with it.

Me: Radar. Drop it. ... Drop it! ... DROP IT!!! Gently prying it from his mouth.

Radar: Looking at me intensely (see my avatar) BARK!

Me: I take the bone out to the living room and place it in the 'bone basket' Radar. Leave it.

Two minutes later...

Radar: Jumps on the bed with the bone. Chews noisily.
Michael
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

He know what would happen. He would never see it again. Although I can't control what happens when I not around.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
deadrabbits
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue

Post by deadrabbits »

I know this is an older post and this might be a silly question but does it have to be cow bones or can it be bison or elk ones too. I just not sure how they compare to each other for splintering. Don't want pepper to get hurt
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
Orrome
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a father of 3, I enjoy hunting fishing and dogs

Post by Orrome »

Yes, it's the processed food that he's eating that's giving the bacteria in his mouth too much carbohydrates to work with and not enough physical cleaning. Molly has complete pearly whites, but she's a raw fed dog so there are very few free sugars in her food and her teeth get a great deal of exercise with eating turkey necks and the like.

Cleaning the teeth of a dog is a really long term commitment- you start just with allowing you to look at his teeth and then you start getting him used to you messing with his mouth. Each stage may take days or weeks. Once you progress from that onto him allowing you to put things in his mouth I can recommend enzyme toothpaste and one of those brushes that you put on your finger as it makes the manual dexterity aspect much easier, but then I also know dogs that sit perfectly still and happy to have their teeth cleaned with their own electric toothbrush (step forward with a picture of Josh having his teeth done estweyn!) so it's horses for courses, but it starts off small and takes weeks of practice for them to trust you to muck around in their mouths.