Size of female DS

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
JLR
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We adopted Coco from a rescue group at age 3-4 months. We were told she was close to pure DS. Now nine months and starting to wonder what she really is.

Size of female DS

Post by JLR »

Can someone give me an idea of how big DS dogs are? My DS is a mix and I suspect she is small. If you compare them to say a Labrador Retriever, are they bigger or smaller? She is 67 pounds but I think she is short in stature. Thanks!
Coco's mom
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Size of female DS

Post by Mobil »

IIRC, height at the shoulder for females ranges from just over 21 to just over 23 inches.
I've seen sites that say Dutch shepherds weigh between 55 and 75 pounds, but i also know of people with males that top out at 80 pounds or more.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

JLR
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We adopted Coco from a rescue group at age 3-4 months. We were told she was close to pure DS. Now nine months and starting to wonder what she really is.

Post by JLR »

Ok, thanks. So about the same size. I have another question about the DNA testing. If a DS is mixed with a breed that is known to have an accurate DNA profile, does this show up accurately in the results or does the DS part throw those results off too? Does that make sense?
Coco's mom
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

that is a great question about DNA testing. i think the answer is that the other breed[s] that do have accurate DNA profiles in the test bank would show up. the problem becomes you might not [ or would not - depending on the dog ] be able to tell which ones they are when you are handed a list of 6 breeds, some of which result from real match-ups and some of which are DS DNA messing with the test's database.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Both my females are 55lbs
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Even with the breeds that are included in the DNA database for those tests, they are notoriously inaccurate. I've had people tell me that they've gotten results back from purebred dogs with verifiable lines for generations, and the results will come back with the dog labeled as a mix of something ridiculous. Like, a GSD comes back as part poodle.

I wouldn't waste money DNA testing a dog, personally.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Groc352
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Have two female Dutch Shepherds. Zia And Molly.
Both about 3 years old.
best friends I could ever ask for! aside from my fiancé lol

Post by Groc352 »

I have 2 females...One is 60 lbs one is 50 lbs.
Ryan

Zia and Molly.
Dutch shepherds about 2 years old.