white paws

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

white paws

Post by k9lexi »

I have read on a couple websites that white chest and or paws may disqualify for color . I guess that means a show ring I also read that long ago dutch shepherds had white paws but they bred away from that. Does anyone have opinions or knowledge on this topic? Where I bought Lexi there are breeding dogs and pups with white chests but I don't think I saw the white paws. Does anyone have a pure bred with white paws?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: white paws

Post by centrop67 »

I did a quick lookup of the FCI standard, and it says:

Heavy white markings on chest or feet is not desirable.

Source
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Michael, I'll need to log onto my pc sometime and figure out how to upload photos. When I try from my phone it always says to large file size. My husband adopted what I feel looks and acts like a full dutchie if it weren't for the white paws ... which is why I was researching and asking if anyone has dutchie with white paws. My friend thinks maybe she has a little akita in her which is a possibility. Need to wait and see how big she gets. Rescue said She was found as a stray so not for sure on age or any other details. Vet appt tomorrow. Will ask her to guess based on teeth, etc.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Radar has small white patches on his left front paw and right rear paw. I think I mentioned that in a post quite a while back, and someone else talked about similar whiteness.

Of course, Radar's lineage is unknown, but I felt like the "undesirable" didn't mean disqualified, just not perfect.

Email me your pictures, and I will put them up for you.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

White paws would indicate something else got thrown in the mix somewhere along the line- likely a bully breed.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree With Mark, there usually isnt white paws in pure DS. Sadie has a white jet on her chest but white on chest appears in pure DS
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
k9lexi
Green Dog

Post by k9lexi »

I think I put this in another post but I'm pretty certain she is akita or akita mix. Big duh on my part. When she came home all I could see were simiarities to Lexi and how coloring looks like Lexi's dad. If my akita had still been alive it would have been easy to see those similarities. Brindle, white socks, curled tail, shorter nose, etc. I've had two akitas and swore I'd never own another ... oh well, careful what you say. I just came back from camping with Anna the pup and a girlfriend. She was the best little girl. It was good to get her away from the other dogs, and my husband, and have some alone time with her. ... and I didn't want to leave my husband home alone with Anna and Lexi both. It would be like watching two toddlers but at least yu can kennel or crate dogs. ;)