Ears falling at 8 months?!

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
Bronx122316
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: USCG. KNPV Bronx (male) born 12/23/16.

Ears falling at 8 months?!

Post by Bronx122316 »

So my pup is little over 8 months old now. His ears went through the normal cute flop period when he was teething. Stood for a month while at training. Both ears fell for a few weeks at around 7 months. I gave glucosamine, added calcium from cottage cheese and taped both ears for a bit. Both ears stood perfectly again for three weeks but have both now flopped over again. They are completely flopped at the base. I thought it would be late for his ears to fall since they have been looking great for weeks now. I am starting to worry now as they might never stand again. Is there still hope? Both photos taken a week apart..
Attachments
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG (814.59 KiB) Viewed 10712 times
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG (955.3 KiB) Viewed 10712 times
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Ears falling at 8 months?!

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Keep taping them
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

I'm in the same boat, one ear is down he is 7 months. People have told me that mals and dutchies ears stand up a bit later than GSDs so I still have hope. Let me ask you, how do you tape the ears? I think your pups ears will go back up because they were standing so nicely in the first pic.
Bronx122316
Just Whelped

Post by Bronx122316 »

I've tried everything but the best way I've found was to use eyelash glue and nasal strips. Takes a bit for the glue to set but he doesn't notice them and it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

Bronx122316 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm I've tried everything but the best way I've found was to use eyelash glue and nasal strips. Takes a bit for the glue to set but he doesn't notice them and it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
How do you get them to stay still during application? My dog is a beast and won't settle.
Bronx122316
Just Whelped

Post by Bronx122316 »

He's gotten used to it and he sits still better knowing he gets a kong of peanut butter after
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Gotta put the shades back on and they’ll stand back up is the trick!
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas