Probably stupid questions

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Probably stupid questions

Post by Kaliag »

Hi ya'll. I feel these are some stupid questions to ask but, honestly, ya'll are the ones I tend to lean towards when it comes to advise etc. So here goes:
1. We took Brodie for his last set of puppy shots. So excited because now I can take him to the places that allow pets (Home Depot, Lowes, Hobby Lobby etc). Anywho, he gained 12 lbs in 1 month. Is this bad? He is the only Dutchie down here and 1 of 2 the vet we take him to sees. The other being the Pearland Police Department K9. They were actually shocked when they saw him because he had grown so much. He will be 4 months tomorrow and when we took him last week he was at 42lbs. She (the vet) didn't express any concern about how much he has grown but after everything I've read on their growth, do I need to add anything extra to his diet?
2. On the same day I also took him to the trainer that is down here. She has years of experience, and is highly recommended but has never trained a Dutchie. The program we want to do, which is basically strict obedience, is a 4 week program. He will need to stay there for 4 weeks and we can not visit him. She does do in home training but she is only open Mon-Fri, which doesn't work for us considering we both work in Houston and don't get home until after 5. I work with Brodie A LOT when I get home, but as ya'll have said, he needs additional training from a trainer that has trained the breed. She has several different training programs that start from simple training such as sit, stay, heal etc all the way up to protection, SAR etc. I guess my question is, is this normal? I mean a 4 week program? We've had Boxers for the last 15-16 years and did not have to get additional training with them so I'm not familiar with what exactly is sufficient training for a DS.

Thanks in advance!
Kalia and Brodie
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Probably stupid questions

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Kaliag wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:18 pm Hi ya'll. I feel these are some stupid questions to ask but, honestly, ya'll are the ones I tend to lean towards when it comes to advise etc. So here goes:
1. We took Brodie for his last set of puppy shots. So excited because now I can take him to the places that allow pets (Home Depot, Lowes, Hobby Lobby etc). Anywho, he gained 12 lbs in 1 month. Is this bad? He is the only Dutchie down here and 1 of 2 the vet we take him to sees. The other being the Pearland Police Department K9. They were actually shocked when they saw him because he had grown so much. He will be 4 months tomorrow and when we took him last week he was at 42lbs. She (the vet) didn't express any concern about how much he has grown but after everything I've read on their growth, do I need to add anything extra to his diet?
2. On the same day I also took him to the trainer that is down here. She has years of experience, and is highly recommended but has never trained a Dutchie. The program we want to do, which is basically strict obedience, is a 4 week program. He will need to stay there for 4 weeks and we can not visit him. She does do in home training but she is only open Mon-Fri, which doesn't work for us considering we both work in Houston and don't get home until after 5. I work with Brodie A LOT when I get home, but as ya'll have said, he needs additional training from a trainer that has trained the breed. She has several different training programs that start from simple training such as sit, stay, heal etc all the way up to protection, SAR etc. I guess my question is, is this normal? I mean a 4 week program? We've had Boxers for the last 15-16 years and did not have to get additional training with them so I'm not familiar with what exactly is sufficient training for a DS.

Thanks in advance!
I offer a 4 week board and train and the clients are not allowed to visit... it's a pain in the ass for the trainer to take time out of their day as well as it's not really good for the dog... I offer 4 follow up lessons once a week in the clients home after they are finished with the board and train... but yes this is completely normal! I charge anywhere from $2650-3650 for this
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Post by Kaliag »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:25 pm
Kaliag wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:18 pm Hi ya'll. I feel these are some stupid questions to ask but, honestly, ya'll are the ones I tend to lean towards when it comes to advise etc. So here goes:

Thanks in advance!
I offer a 4 week board and train and the clients are not allowed to visit... it's a pain in the ass for the trainer to take time out of their day as well as it's not really good for the dog... I offer 4 follow up lessons once a week in the clients home after they are finished with the board and train... but yes this is completely normal! I charge anywhere from $2650-3650 for this
Thank you for your quick reply. I feel better. She had said it was hard on both the trainer and the dog if the family visits so I’m glad you confirmed that. She’s charging around $1300-1600. I’ll have to look at the sheet to see how many follow up visits but I know she mentioned them.
Kalia and Brodie
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Kaliag wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks in advance!
Thank you for your quick reply. I feel better. She had said it was hard on both the trainer and the dog if the family visits so I’m glad you confirmed that. She’s charging around $1300-1600. I’ll have to look at the sheet to see how many follow up visits but I know she mentioned them.
I'm outside of NYC so I'm sure my prices are higher than most the country except like LA or Vegas
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Oh come on STEVE, you just charge extra because you give out so much free advice to us here you have to make up for it. Ha ha ha
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Good luck with The training. Maybe look at it as if your youngest child is gone away to camp. But he’ll be back soon and doing well.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG