Rib Spring? Head stop?

This area is for the discussion of conformation.
Forum rules
Please post at your own risk. Know that this is not a true conformation show, and that the comments made are based on pictures only and might not be a good reflection of what could be seen in real life. Pictures need to be owned by the poster or used with verifiable permission of the owner. The dog in the submitted picture should be owned OR bred by the poster, OR you should be able to show that you have explict permission from the dogs owner. You may be asked for verification . The admin reserves the right to remove posts when permission cannot be verified. No rights can be derived from these posts.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Rib Spring? Head stop?

Post by centrop67 »

I feel like I am pretty good at researching things using the Google, but I have been asked offline about this term (Rib Spring). I found lots of occurences of the term, but no clear definition.

So, I am opening it up to the experts here on the forum...

What exactly does it mean?

From the various standards:
UKC- "The ribs are well-sprung. The chest is deep, but not narrow."
AKC- "Chest - Deep and long, not narrow, ribs slightly sprung"
FCI- "Chest : Deep and long enough, not narrow, ribs slightly sprung."

It looks like the UKC differs from the FCI/AKC standard (well vs. slightly), though I am lead to believe that the FCI is the true standard. There's also the KNPV lines, which I found out have quite a bit of Mal genes. Anyways what do they mean by "slightly sprung"?

In addition to that, I was asked about "head stop." I understand that this is the part of the head where the forehead meets the muzzle between the eyes, and only the FCI describes it as "Slight, though clearly present." This seems really clear to me, but is there anything else to know about this?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Rib Spring? Head stop?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Curvature of the ribs for heart and lung compasity
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I've never heard of this stuff, but then again I'm not nearly as educated in this as most of you all are. I'm glad you posted and I look forward to learning.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 pm Curvature of the ribs for heart and lung compasity
What would "slightly" versus "well" means in terms of conformation?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:37 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 pm Curvature of the ribs for heart and lung compasity
What would "slightly" versus "well" means in terms of conformation?
Well sprung would be a dog with plenty of room for the organs to be places so more of a barrel chest, slightly sprung would mean the dog has slight curvature to the rib not a full barrel chest