Eye Color?

This area is for the discussion of conformation.
Forum rules
Please post at your own risk. Know that this is not a true conformation show, and that the comments made are based on pictures only and might not be a good reflection of what could be seen in real life. Pictures need to be owned by the poster or used with verifiable permission of the owner. The dog in the submitted picture should be owned OR bred by the poster, OR you should be able to show that you have explict permission from the dogs owner. You may be asked for verification . The admin reserves the right to remove posts when permission cannot be verified. No rights can be derived from these posts.
MinaHerdershonden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My name is Anna and i'm 19 years old, I volunteer most of my time and half of which goes to OCAS shelter which is where I found Mina who was 7 months old at the time.
I live in chapel hill, NC. Soon to be near ashville NC as I will be attending Warren Wilson College.

Eye Color?

Post by MinaHerdershonden »

HI all I am new to this forum, I have done alot of reading on the breed and I don't see anything about eye color, but I have noticed some seem to have really striking golden/honey/amber colored eyes, while other have more brown eyes, the little girl im adopting has brown. Oddly enough most of the ones who have such golden eyes have been male, is this common? is there a "set" eye color? what color eyes do your DS's have?
Attachments
Mina (he shelter picture) I volunteer she ive spent alot of time with her, officially adopted her today :D will bring her home in a few days
Mina (he shelter picture) I volunteer she ive spent alot of time with her, officially adopted her today :D will bring her home in a few days
bailey.jpg (16.04 KiB) Viewed 14486 times
I'm Anna.
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Short haired dark/gold brindle:
Mina.
:D
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Eye Color?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have two girls, Thalie, who is a dark brindle has very dark brown eyes. My other girl, Sadie is a red brindle and has very light brown eyes like your little girl.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Hello there, and welcome.
If you don't mind, please go on over to the new member section and post a brief intro about yourself? ;)
You can also make a signature for all your future posts, so you don't have to remember to sign.

As for your question. The eye color should be dark. And indeed, many dogs here in the USA have different shades. Their gene pool is largely KNPV dogs, where all that matters is that the dog can do the job, not if he fits the ideal in the breed standard. (and it often shows...oof...there are some uglies out there, but the consensus is that they all are pretty when they work) :mrgreen:
I think the deviation from dark is divided evenly over the sexes. I personally like a golden eye in a very dark brindled dog, since it adds an intimidation factor. But it is not correct in the breed standard, as eyes should always be any shade of dark. :(
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

What a sweet looking pup!

Judith, I love the golden hued eyes, too.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

What a cute dog!

My FCI Import has brown eyes. The rescue I have in my house today has the golden color eyes. Both are boys. The rescue is definitely an American dog. Looks a lot like the other American dogs I've met.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

So light eyes are "wrong". Well, that figures Sadie has light eyes. :whistle: ( and I mean that in the most loving way)
ImageImage
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Odin has really nice chocolate brown eyes.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

Dutchringgirl wrote:So light eyes are "wrong". Well, that figures Sadie has light eyes. :whistle: ( and I mean that in the most loving way)
lol, she is beautiful no matter what!

Merlin has dark eyes that he will stare you down with, specially if he is in trouble and wants sympathy.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

black mask, orange eyes and sparkly white teeth - what can be prettier? Who comes up with those breeding standards anyway? It's a DUTCH shepherd and orange is the national color, right? :whistle:
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Eva, is that Marco? He sure is beautiful!! That stare, those eyes......scary. Did he have his teeth bleached?
(just kidding)
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

felixone123 wrote:Eva, is that Marco? He sure is beautiful!! That stare, those eyes......scary. Did he have his teeth bleached?
(just kidding)
yep, it's him. I know people hardly recognize him without mask and snorkel :lol:

We brush on a regular basis. Even the Jupiter Police K9 officer commented on his sparkles :g_wink: And if you get bitten, at least by nice clean teeth! :whistle:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I know by going to shows, that judges usually judge the eye colour in combination with the dog's overall colour. So a lighter colored dog is allowed to have a lighter eye than the darker dogs, it has to fir. But really yellow dogs will usually get a remark, although it has never been the reason to not give a dog nice points. If you have a nice looking dog, but with yellow eyes, no big deal. If you have a not so good looking dog and it has yellow eyes...mhhh, not so good.
Most judges also judge knowing we have a very small genepool, they are not that harsch on details like they would be for a German Shep or a Lab or something popular like that ;)
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

Marco is so handsome! That first pic I really did not even recognize him!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Thanks for the compliments, I will let him know. :)

He has very different sides, he can be a clown and completely silly. Then he can be very serious like in the pic above
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
WorkingK9
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Have rescued and trained dogs for most of my life, rescued high drive, aggressive dogs and gave them a job to do.

I currently have a dutch shepherd I am training dual purpose and PSA (one of Katrina's pups)

Post by WorkingK9 »

Here are K's eyes :) , well and his head ;)
=============
In Christ, Kimberly
KRPetz - Working K9's (http://KRPetz.com)
Metro K9's Billy Idol "K-Czar" - BH, CGC, ACAL3, TT
M9's Viking Warrior "Hiccup/Triton" - In training for Service work for a Marine
felixone123
Working Dog

Post by felixone123 »

Who is that beautful boy? Oh, it's my Odin - I crack myself up :lol: :lol:
IMG_3166.JPG
IMG_3166.JPG (170.69 KiB) Viewed 14414 times
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

kchristy wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote:So light eyes are "wrong". Well, that figures Sadie has light eyes. :whistle: ( and I mean that in the most loving way)
lol, she is beautiful no matter what!

Merlin has dark eyes that he will stare you down with, specially if he is in trouble and wants sympathy.

Im just kidding :D I love Sadie, she is a goober.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I love the pictures !!!

I love Marco's face, he's like " Uh, Mom, they know im cool!"

K9 Is just stunning,

and Odin is very kissable !
ImageImage
felixone123
Working Dog

Post by felixone123 »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I love the pictures !!!

I love Marco's face, he's like " Uh, Mom, they know im cool!"

K9 Is just stunning,

and Odin is very kissable !
Yes, he is very kissable. My husband tells me I kiss him too much :D . Now, that I am looking at his pic his nose (where the nostril's are) looks fat!!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

His nose dosnt look Fat :whistle:

It looks warm and cute and I want to kiss it. I am always kissing my girls !! My son will say the same thing, "why do you kiss them so much?" I love noses
ImageImage