Eye Color?

This area is for the discussion of conformation.
Forum rules
Please post at your own risk. Know that this is not a true conformation show, and that the comments made are based on pictures only and might not be a good reflection of what could be seen in real life. Pictures need to be owned by the poster or used with verifiable permission of the owner. The dog in the submitted picture should be owned OR bred by the poster, OR you should be able to show that you have explict permission from the dogs owner. You may be asked for verification . The admin reserves the right to remove posts when permission cannot be verified. No rights can be derived from these posts.
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Eye Color?

Post by Schlussdibusti »

very beautiful !
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

felixone123 wrote:beautiful boy!! He is looking at you so adoringly.
I think it's more like, "I will sit if you want, but I'm not going to like it!".
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Boaz is beautiful!

Here are Sugar's eyes
IMG_2159.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG (339.62 KiB) Viewed 10331 times
Sue (and Sugar)

CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Boaz's eyes look like that when the light is shining on them.
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

So cute!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Sugar - your name suits you!! You are so sweet looking!! I love her little whiskers.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow Carol, He is gorgeous !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Sugar is so cuuuuuute!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Schlussdibusti wrote:Sugar is so cuuuuuute!
Cute baby!
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

Handsome Boaz. I love the tuffs of fur around his neck, he looks extremely huggable. As for Sugar, she is so sweet, I agree her name does fit her well :dssmile:
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I just want to reach in and kiss Sugars nose!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

CaroleBoaz wrote:Here's Boaz's eyes. He's going through a hunky phase. I think he's gotten very handsome in the last month. Of course, I'm bias. :dswink"

Somehow I missed this when it posted. He is a very handsome boy!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
MinaHerdershonden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My name is Anna and i'm 19 years old, I volunteer most of my time and half of which goes to OCAS shelter which is where I found Mina who was 7 months old at the time.
I live in chapel hill, NC. Soon to be near ashville NC as I will be attending Warren Wilson College.

Post by MinaHerdershonden »

The longer I have Mina the younger I'm beginning to think she is ;D Oh lord what have I gotten myself into?? LOL
Attachments
Mine chilling out on the floor, I would say her eye color is a dark honey/brown.
Mine chilling out on the floor, I would say her eye color is a dark honey/brown.
012602_1106[00].jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 10245 times
I'm Anna.
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Short haired dark/gold brindle:
Mina.
:D
MinaHerdershonden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My name is Anna and i'm 19 years old, I volunteer most of my time and half of which goes to OCAS shelter which is where I found Mina who was 7 months old at the time.
I live in chapel hill, NC. Soon to be near ashville NC as I will be attending Warren Wilson College.

Anyone elses dogs have white nails?? I read in a breed standard that they should have black nails, my girl seems to be close to standard apart from she had white chest markings that might be a hair to much, white nails but for a few small black stripes, and she I think would be considered to have to much black in her top coat.
I'm Anna.
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Mina.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Gosh, these are some of the most stunning photos of the DS; I've got goosebumps just looking at them all! I would have to agree that the amber colored eyes are intimidating goolish looking. My Zip has amber eyes. She also has white on her rear paw, just the tips of the toes like she dipped them in paint. No white on her chest though.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
MinaHerdershonden
Puppy

Yeah my girl mina has a white stripe across each rear toe not like they are dipped lol just a stripe, ill get a picture of her chest marking, but yeah the white nails are throwing me off couldnt something that minor have been what landed her in the shelter?
I'm Anna.
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Mina.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

MinaHerdershonden wrote:Yeah my girl mina has a white stripe across each rear toe not like they are dipped lol just a stripe, ill get a picture of her chest marking, but yeah the white nails are throwing me off couldnt something that minor have been what landed her in the shelter?
No, I sincerely doubt that anyone out there breeds DS's for the show ring (in the first place) and if they do, a white nail will not get you kicked out or disqualified. It (white nailtip) often goes with the white on a toe, (like a horse with white hooves, when it has white socks) and a little tip is permitted, though not desired.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
MinaHerdershonden
Puppy

Ok Thanks that was my same thoughts but my parents are trying to come up with a reading apart from pure human stupidity lol funny things is like i said she hardly has any white on her feet but the broken little stripes that look almost grey
I'm Anna.
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Mina.
lisaanne
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.

Post by lisaanne »

Our Beta looks so much like Eva's "Marco"....except her eyes are a bit more Golden/Chocolate, if that makes sense. I mean, my Beagle has dark brown eyes, while Beta's seem to have a bit more Gold.
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
Dark Side
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: In love with Dutch Shepherds for almost 20 years, I now breed them with love and passion.
Settled in the south east of France, near the Italian border, I practice Mondioring with my dogs and also dog shows. Looking forward to sharing my passion with you all !!
http://www.bergerhollandais.fr/

Post by Dark Side »

Wow, I haven't necessarily been taking part but I have been reading quite a lot on this forum this morning and I must say I'm very happy to see how fair and objective you all are here. In France, it's difficult to have that type of conversation (for instance about eye colour) as people will get very aggressive if for instance they have a dog with amber / light eyes... I think that is silly, there's the standard, then there are our own tastes and we all agree a dog is far more than just an eye colour but it's great to see we can have that kind of discussion here in a nice polite way ! :)