Rembrandt

This area is for the discussion of conformation.
Forum rules
Please post at your own risk. Know that this is not a true conformation show, and that the comments made are based on pictures only and might not be a good reflection of what could be seen in real life. Pictures need to be owned by the poster or used with verifiable permission of the owner. The dog in the submitted picture should be owned OR bred by the poster, OR you should be able to show that you have explict permission from the dogs owner. You may be asked for verification . The admin reserves the right to remove posts when permission cannot be verified. No rights can be derived from these posts.
GreatRembrandt
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hi, I'm elisa, i come from italy, i live with 2 rottweilers, a female Malinois and a dutch shepherd.
I work with them in the IPO program, i will be the first in italy who does IPO with a dutch.

Rembrandt

Post by GreatRembrandt »

Please tell me what u think about him, he's 16 months now, tall 60 cm and weights 24.8 kg
i'm waitin' for the official results of hd-ed rays and i start with him exhibition in open class the next 9 september :) i'm ready for whatever :cry: ;)

eli with cuba, hispanico, olympia and great rembrandt
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Rembrandt

Post by Christie M »

Pretty boy. Seems a little on the small side for a male, but maybe within the confirmation standard. Not sure.

I'm excited to hear how he does in your ventures!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He is so beautiful!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Dutchringgirl wrote:He is so beautiful!!!

I 2nd that!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Handsome!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
GreatRembrandt
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hi, I'm elisa, i come from italy, i live with 2 rottweilers, a female Malinois and a dutch shepherd.
I work with them in the IPO program, i will be the first in italy who does IPO with a dutch.

Post by GreatRembrandt »

it's a curiousity but what about the reverse brindle? Is rembrandt like this or he's correct striped? Maybe too much dark?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie is dark like Rem, Sadie is more red and black. Ill have to get some new pics up of the girls.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Christie M wrote:Pretty boy. Seems a little on the small side for a male, but maybe within the confirmation standard. Not sure.
He is fine, size wise. He is young enough to put on some more height, but at 24 inches at the withers, that's not bad at all and his weight is good as well.
GreatRembrandt wrote:it's a curiousity but what about the reverse brindle? Is rembrandt like this or he's correct striped? Maybe too much dark?
There is no reverse brindle (in no breed, even though some people call it that, there is always just one mechanism that creates brindle, which is dark stripes on a light base) and even if there were, he is a nice medium brindling, not too dark, no need to worry. 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
GreatRembrandt
Puppy

Post by GreatRembrandt »

thank u judith!!!
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Let me elaborate on the reversed brindle remark:
Brindle, genetically, is the distribution of dark (eumelanin) on a lighter (phaeomelain) surface. The dark is not distributed evenly, but rather in a striped pattern. It is unknown what causes for some breeds to have very light striping on a mostly light underground (think greyhounds, who are often barely brindle) and for other breeds to look mostly black, with just a touch of undercoat shining through (think Boston terrier)
It is the width of the black stripe marking that will make a dog look dark or light brindled, but it is still always a dark stripe (maybe a very wide dark stripe, but still...a dark stripe) on a light underground.
In (FCI) Dutch shepherds, most common seems to be a medium brindle, where you seem to see dark stripes on gold. Much darker than a greyhound would be, lighter than a boston terrier. Your Rembrandt certainly has nice visible brindle and it not considered 'too dark' That is, by the way, a subjective label (depends on who is looking) ;) since lots of people actually like a black(er) looking dog. But no worries, Rembrandt is very well within the standard.
GreatRembrandt
Puppy

Post by GreatRembrandt »

ok, i understand (almost all) and what about silver dutchies? Is a diluition of dark solid colour? Like isabella in dobermanns or great dane?
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

GreatRembrandt wrote:ok, i understand (almost all) and what about silver dutchies? Is a diluition of dark solid colour? Like isabella in dobermanns or great dane?
You know malinois, I assume?
Think a very very pale yellow with a black stripe versus a nice deep dark red with a black stripe.
True silver (no gold tint at all) probably does not exist in the Dutch shepherd, even though the standard names it, but it is believed to be yellow/fawn/red, in a very pale tint, but still yellow/fawn/or red, no grey tint.
I am not sure if I have the right picture in mind when you say 'isabella' dobermanns. Do you have a picture?
GreatRembrandt
Puppy

Post by GreatRembrandt »

sorry but with this idiot phone im not able to share photos.. If you type blu or isabella (fawn) dobermann on google images you'll see.. Blu is not solid colour, isn't it? It's not recommended right?
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

GreatRembrandt wrote:sorry but with this idiot phone im not able to share photos.. If you type blu or isabella (fawn) dobermann on google images you'll see.. Blu is not solid colour, isn't it? It's not recommended right?
Ah...so I phone stands for "Idiot phone". I get it. ;)
No problem.

Here is a link to a pale colored malinois (mix)
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/g/germanmalinois.htm

Imagine that even pale, if possible, and add black stripes. The dog will look almost grey, instead of yellow and might be called a 'silver brindle"
When you ask if blue is permitted, do you mean Blue DS's? (or blue dobermanns?)

edit: Okay. What you call isabella dobermann is what I know as fawn. It is red dilluted, like the blue dobe is black dilluted.
GreatRembrandt
Puppy

Post by GreatRembrandt »

blue dutch shepherd is allowed?
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

GreatRembrandt wrote:blue dutch shepherd is allowed?
Yes. The breed standard says 'dark stripes on a light background'. Blue (dark grey) stripes are still dark. The problem is, though, that you might not win a show with a blue DS. The eyes, because the blue DS is a dillute, will be amber colored, like wolf eyes. The breed standard says that the eyes should be dark. The nose will be very dark grey. The breed standard says that the nose should be black. While it is permitted and NOT a disqualifying fault, it is not something that show breeders would strive for. Blue DS's have a following though. Many people really like them and many working breeders don't care if blue happens. There are 'blue' topics on this board. I think there are pictures and more info in those threads.
GreatRembrandt
Puppy

Post by GreatRembrandt »

i saw a pic of a blue male on fb and he's gorgeous.. Have U ever had blue one?
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

GreatRembrandt wrote:i saw a pic of a blue male on fb and he's gorgeous.. Have U ever had blue one?
Oh Lord yes, I have had blues. 8-)
Let me find some pictures in my family album.....

Look at the amber colored eyes. 8-)
Attachments
Ivoside2.jpg
Ivoside2.jpg (112.71 KiB) Viewed 13036 times
Ivo-eyes.jpg
Ivo-eyes.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 13045 times
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Maybe my next one should be blue so people can tell them apart - more black (Vada), less black (Letty) and then the blue. :)
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

k9katet wrote:Maybe my next one should be blue so people can tell them apart - more black (Vada), less black (Letty) and then the blue. :)
And then start a breeding program: "Black and Blue" Dutch Shepherds. :g_wink: